1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Books for self-study

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by impressionist, Dec 16, 2008.

1. impressionist

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    1. How do the comprehensive (single-book) books from Kaplan and TPR (i.e. sold on amazon) compare with the single-subject books offered in their courses?

2. Besides EK1001 Bio, any book suggestions for practicing problems in the other sciences? I've heard good things about TPR Science Workbook, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to find it.

3. How does this book list look... should I change anything?

Bio - TBR, EK1001
    GChem - TBR
    OChem - TBR
    Physics - TBR
    Verbal - EK + EK101 (will probably buy TBR too as part of the set, but might not read it?)

4. I also have the big Kaplan Premier Program book which I bought from a B&N bookstore... is that a good resource, or should I strictly rely on the single-subject books?

Thanks!

#1 impressionist, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My memory is kind of bad in regards to the big books, however, your list of books is great. I'd stick with those books.

I've also heard good things about TPR's Science Workbook. It wouldn't hurt to pick it up as well. Okay, your wallet might be hurting after all these purchases.

I know many will disagree, but I think the entire EK 1001 series is useful. I thought they really helped me sure up the basics. Plus, they don't take much time to do. Nevertheless, you'd probably be perfectly fine with just the books you listed.

Make sure to calculate FLs into your budget.