Books for self-study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impressionist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. How do the comprehensive (single-book) books from Kaplan and TPR (i.e. sold on amazon) compare with the single-subject books offered in their courses?

2. Besides EK1001 Bio, any book suggestions for practicing problems in the other sciences? I've heard good things about TPR Science Workbook, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to find it.

3. How does this book list look... should I change anything?

Bio - TBR, EK1001
GChem - TBR
OChem - TBR
Physics - TBR
Verbal - EK + EK101 (will probably buy TBR too as part of the set, but might not read it?)

4. I also have the big Kaplan Premier Program book which I bought from a B&N bookstore... is that a good resource, or should I strictly rely on the single-subject books?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My memory is kind of bad in regards to the big books, however, your list of books is great. I'd stick with those books.

I've also heard good things about TPR's Science Workbook. It wouldn't hurt to pick it up as well. Okay, your wallet might be hurting after all these purchases.

I know many will disagree, but I think the entire EK 1001 series is useful. I thought they really helped me sure up the basics. Plus, they don't take much time to do. Nevertheless, you'd probably be perfectly fine with just the books you listed.

Make sure to calculate FLs into your budget.