jennyy

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
23
0
Status
hey ppl

i shall be starting med school this fall, and was looking for a good book to read.

are there any good medical school books out there, that any of you may have read... stuff like.. 'how to succeed in medschool', 'how to choose a speciality', etc etc

thanks for your suggesions!

jenny
 

bgibney

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2003
93
1
Visit site
Status
jennyy said:
hey ppl

i shall be starting med school this fall, and was looking for a good book to read.

are there any good medical school books out there, that any of you may have read... stuff like.. 'how to succeed in medschool', 'how to choose a speciality', etc etc

thanks for your suggesions!

jenny
Iserson's Getting into a residency would be worthwhile. ISBN 1-883620-30-9
 

Dr Who

Future MD...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
876
4
Somewhere out there
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I recommend "The med school survival guide" by Jennifer Danek (ISBN: 0609805959).
I havent read it myself, but I have heard good things about the book. My local Borders doesnt have it in stock so I guess I'll have to order it via Amazon.com.
 
About the Ads

anamarylee

A la grande le puse Cuca
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
169
0
39
Treasure Coast, FL
anamarylee.livejournal.com
Status
Attending Physician

8744

Guest
15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
9,322
171
Status
Non-Student
anamarylee said:
The Med School Survival Guide : How to Make the Challenges of Med School Seem Like Small Stuff was a great read before I started med school. Once in a while when things get hectic I'll sit down and read it (It's a quick read) and it reminds me why I'm in this roller coaster.

Right now I'm reading Becoming a Doctor : A Journey of Initiation in Medical School in preparation for third year. It's longer than the Survival Guide, but well worth it.
The problem with all those medical school guides is that they are written by and for AOA students.

I'm writing a book myself, provisionally titled "The Slacker's Guide to Medical School" that I am hoping to finish in next few months. Maybe you will see it some day at Barnes and Nobles.

My basic premise is that most of us get bored and restless on Medicine Wards and really don't have any legitimate questions to ask the attending. We just want to get done and go home.

If this offends you I apologize in advance.
 

Dr Who

Future MD...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
876
4
Somewhere out there
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Panda Bear said:
The problem with all those medical school guides is that they are written by and for AOA students.

I'm writing a book myself, provisionally titled "The Slacker's Guide to Medical School" that I am hoping to finish in next few months. Maybe you will see it some day at Barnes and Nobles.

My basic premise is that most of us get bored and restless on Medicine Wards and really don't have any legitimate questions to ask the attending. We just want to get done and go home.

If this offends you I apologize in advance.
Good premise, and maybe a bit more relevant than many of us would like to admit.
 

brotherbloat

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2004
171
1
Status
I've enjoyed "The Ultimate Guide to Choosing a Medical Specialty" by Brian Freeman. Great read!
 

felipe5

Fingerpickin' Good
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2002
1,230
4
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i suggest instead of reading about 'how to succeed in medical school' type books, how about you do some non-medical leisure reading while you still have time to.....maybe its me, but I haven't really been able to read as much non-medical stuff as I used to, and I kinda miss it. Don't get me wrong, Iverson's book is probably right on the money, but do you really think that reading a book regarding medical school before you start is going to give you some epiphany regarding first year that others are missing out on??? Who knows, maybe I'm wrong, but I've yet to see a book that gives the most crucial piece of advice I was ever given to prep for first year......

don't go to class
 

omarsaleh66

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
952
7
39
temecula ca
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Save your money and use this website. My grade has gone up by atleast 10 points from the great advice I get from SDN. Seriosuly, you ahve some really bright students posting study tips, advice on careers, and books.

later
 

anamarylee

A la grande le puse Cuca
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
169
0
39
Treasure Coast, FL
anamarylee.livejournal.com
Status
Attending Physician
Panda Bear said:
The problem with all those medical school guides is that they are written by and for AOA students.

I'm writing a book myself, provisionally titled "The Slacker's Guide to Medical School" that I am hoping to finish in next few months. Maybe you will see it some day at Barnes and Nobles.

My basic premise is that most of us get bored and restless on Medicine Wards and really don't have any legitimate questions to ask the attending. We just want to get done and go home.

If this offends you I apologize in advance.
You may not want to include the word "slacker" in the title. Maybe something along the lines of "average" or "human" :D
 

Discobolus

Dutch-American
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 31, 2004
381
6
42
Red State
Status
When I get through all this I think I'm going to write a book entitled "How to succeed in medical school without really trying."

Hey Panda Bear if you come to UAMS maybe we can co-author it!
 

Paws

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2003
1,096
6
Visit site
Status
omarsaleh66 said:
Save your money and use this website. My grade has gone up by atleast 10 points from the great advice I get from SDN. Seriosuly, you ahve some really bright students posting study tips, advice on careers, and books.

later

word :thumbup:
 

Benzo4every1

Wine Ho
10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
278
1
Status
Attending Physician
Panda Bear said:
The problem with all those medical school guides is that they are written by and for AOA students.

I'm writing a book myself, provisionally titled "The Slacker's Guide to Medical School" that I am hoping to finish in next few months. Maybe you will see it some day at Barnes and Nobles.

My basic premise is that most of us get bored and restless on Medicine Wards and really don't have any legitimate questions to ask the attending. We just want to get done and go home.

If this offends you I apologize in advance.
Really? I loved medicine wards. :love:
 
About the Ads