jennyy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Status
hey ppl

i shall be starting med school this fall, and was looking for a good book to read.

are there any good medical school books out there, that any of you may have read... stuff like.. 'how to succeed in medschool', 'how to choose a speciality', etc etc

thanks for your suggesions!

jenny

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I just bought a book called, "What I Learned in Medical School: Personal Stories of Young Doctors." It's a collection of essays by medical students. I haven't finished it, yet, but it looks really good. I don't know if this is the sort of thing that you are referring to, though.

2tall

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2004
USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Visit site
Status
I really enjoyed Leonard Laster's Life After Medical School How 32 Physicians Shaped Their Careers.

It's not really a how to, but you can definitely glean useful info from it.

That's my top pick! If you can find it, read it!

DMO

Diving Medical Officer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2003
!
Visit site
Status
At your point in the process, you should begin to have second thoughts and regress into childhood. To aid in this regression, I recommend reading childhood books. Sideways Stories at Wayside School by Louis Sachar is awesome! Harry Potter books are overrated (only because I'm a muggle).

Well, that's it for now. Stay tuned for next time.

-DMO

YzIa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
Status
DMO said:
At your point in the process, you should begin to have second thoughts and regress into childhood.

-DMO
:laugh:

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
My sister got me How to Excel in Medical School, and then improved on it by adding the word "Use" to the title, which made it a lot funnier.

The book was OK. The thing is, for any of us to have reached this point, we're pretty capable academically. Almost everyone survives med school to become productive physicians. So I read the book, which basically told me things I already knew about how to study, and then decided to stop worrying about it.

PineappleGirl

Sweet and Juicy!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
Boston
Status
Becoming a Doctor by Melvin Konnor (Penguin) is pretty good.

I notice that a lot of these "how to xyz in med school" books are really pretty bad and contain a lot of uber-obvious advice.

Really look over the books before you buy them.

Biscuit799

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
Status
stillpremed said:
i personally recommend super system 2 by doyle brunson
great read!
Good book, but I prefer anything written by Phil Helmuth Jr.

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Biscuit799 said:
Which is the easier way to get rich: medicine or professional poker? Maybe we need a poll.

llort

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2004
Not California
Status
a few other books to check out are:
1) Revenge of the Tiger by Claude Bawls
2) Urinary tract freedom by I.P. Freely
3)Symptoms and Cures of Lower Bowel Illnesses by Carrie Toylitpaper

seriously, if you need a book to motivate you , then you have problems and can look forward to 4 sh#tty years of school.
also, read "the alchemist"
thanks

Sparky Man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
Status
Medical Student
PineappleGirl said:
Becoming a Doctor by Melvin Konnor (Penguin) is pretty good.

Yeah, I loved this book! :thumbup:

CreativeWriter

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2004
Miami, FL
Status
UCLAstudent said:
I just bought a book called, "What I Learned in Medical School: Personal Stories of Young Doctors." It's a collection of essays by medical students. I haven't finished it, yet, but it looks really good. I don't know if this is the sort of thing that you are referring to, though.
I LOVED this book. It makes me very proud that some of the authors, and many of the stories come from my future alma mater, Stanford!

Definitely read it!!

:)

llort

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2004
Not California
Status
CreativeWriter said:
I LOVED this book. It makes me very proud that some of the authors, and many of the stories come from my future alma mater, Stanford!

Definitely read it!!

:)

well, at least you are modest.

OP
J

jennyy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Status
any more good books ??

Iamajew

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2004
Status
llort said:
well, at least you are modest.
Why is it not ok to say where you're going to school? It isn't obnoxious to say you're going to stanford if that's where you're going.

Drdrums

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2004
Status
William Carlos Williams "The Doctor Stories." Not likely to be helpful in choosing a specialty, but WCW writes great prose. Especially if you have an art you're into (i'm a musician), its always been interesting how he balanced his medical practice (he was a pediatrician with a private practice in NJ), while trying to make time for writing, (mainly poetry).

GiantGiantsFan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2004
Status
Medical Student: Doctor in the Making by James A. Knight was recommended to me by an interviewer and has some useful and insightful chapters, especially the chapter on uncertainty in medicine. The chapter on sex and marriage in med school is quite funny. Overall, it reads very well and is insightful. Unfortunately, it was written a while back (the 70s), so it speaks more to men than women. There is a whole chapter in the end, however, dedicated to the female medical student.

vhawk

2K Member
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
stillpremed said:
i personally recommend super system 2 by doyle brunson
great read!

Great book, all you need to know about playing POWER no limit. Paying my way through undergrad with it as we speak.

vhawk

2K Member
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Biscuit799 said:
Hellmuths book is awesome, and being in Wisconsin, he is like a poker god around here. However, his recent struggles have shown that his style isnt really that adaptable to the current poker climate. Really, play more like Gus Hansen and less like TJ Cloutier, and you'll be fine.

masterMood

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2004
Status
Post Doc