Books on getting in to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris_P

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Anyone know of any good books on how to get into med school, the application process, that sort of thing.

Thanks

Chris

Members don't see this ad.

why do you need a book when you have SDN???
i've never found those books to be very helpful.
in fact, not at all. i wouldn't waste money on them.

I think the main book that is a MUST is the MSAR--Medical School Admission Requirements. It's published by the AAMC and you can buy it from www.aamc.org.

This is for that website you're making for premeds, right? Sounds like a GREAT idea.

The SDN Big guide has some useful links, so you might wanna check there too. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the suggestion DF:)

Also looking for good medical fiction - House of God, Bodies, things like that.

Cheers

Chris

i haven't read it yet - but the reviews and people bashing or loving it are enough to want someone to - "the medical student's survival guide" by stephen polk (4th edition) is supposed to be an interesting read (from clinical rotations forum):

I bought the book in 1999 and recoiled in horror initially -- "so bitter", I thought. After I started on the wards in 2000, I started re-reading it....Boy, it sure is amazing how getting beaten on as a MS3 will change your perspective! I agree that the man is not a cynic, but rather a realist. His is the most influential book I have read while in med school.It is directly responsible for 5 or 6 of my friends and I doing rads/anesthesia. We call the book "the Gospel" for good reason.

(on divorce pp. 6-7 3rd edition)
"But there may be further grounds an ex can use to claim a man as her lifelong meal ticket. Did she support him while in training? Financial aid clinches the case, and you had better believe she is saving those cancelled checks"

Is he kidding?! Read on.

"Her attorney will argue that she aborted her career as a theoretical physicist to take a more practical job as a secretary, just to put him through medical school, with the understanding-which the court takes as a verbal and enforceable contract-that he would support her in opulence the rest of her days. Courts have been known to award a percentage of a man's medical license to these leeches."

I can't believe what a jackass this guy is. One more quote.

"You will find a clutch of house docs already splitting their paychecks with ex-wives drooling in wait for heavy dough once hubby finishes residency."

people say its a cynical load of crap - some say its the real deal. interesting nonetheless, and hard to find - i'm still looking.
-jot

The best book that I have seen is the Princeton Review Guide to Med Schools. It has a lot of great information regarding applications, interviews, and also has a profile for all U.S. and Canadian med schools, and DO schools as well. I bought the book a couple of years before I was going to apply and read through it a couple of times. I used it as a guide to decide which schools to research further b/c it gives info regarding the teaching styles, location, and other great info.

This one is mostly for nontraditional women
A Not Entirely Benign Experience by Perri Klass