books on osteopathic medicine

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by spyyder31, Dec 3, 2000.

1. spyyder31

spyyder31 Senior Member

Does anyone know of any good books that have to deal with osteopathic medicine/being a DO?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Akron Ohio

Akron Ohio Member

The best one I know of is "The DO's" by Gevits. This book gave me a great edge in my interviews, and i'm sure it will do the same for you.

4. spyyder31

spyyder31 Senior Member

Great! I'll be sure to check it out!!

5. together

together Senior Member

Spyyder31,

In addition to Gevitz' "The D.O.'s," there is another book titled, "The Difference a D.O. Makes" by Jones, I think. Also, look for a book titled, "Careers in Osteopathic Medicine" by Terrance Sacks. All of these titles are available through Amazon. I was also able to find them at my local Border's. There is also a great article in "The Journal of Family Medicine" by Lishman, titled, "An Overview of Osteopathic Medicine." Lishman's article overviews the history of osteopathic medicine and OMT very well. Contact me for any specifics with regard to the citations.

Best wishes,

together

6. Melissa

Melissa Junior Member

together-
    When I went on Amazom.com to find the Jones book - The Difference a DO Makes - it stated that the book was out of print. I was wonderig how you found the book? Also, most of the books I have read wree published in the early 90's. Do you know of any recent books or articles?

Thanks

7. together

together Senior Member

Melissa,

Order Jones' book through your library's Interlibrary Loan system. That's how I got it. You may also be able to order it through Border's or Barnes & Noble. As far as the most recent literature is concerned, try the American Osteopathic Association website (they publish two journals -- "The DO" and "Journal of the AOA"). Other than that, I'm afraid you'll have to hunt medical databases (PubMed, Medline, etc.) to find the most updated publications.

Hope I helped!

Together

8. docflanny

docflanny Senior Member

ditto on the book by Norman Gevitz. very comphrensive book re: osteopathic history.

------------------
    Matt Flannigan
    MSUCOM Class of 2004