Books/Resources for 4th year radiology electives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bowser Koopa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I wanted to get some input about books/resources appropriate for a 4th year med student looking to go into Radiology.

I've heard about:
1) Felson's Principles of Chest Roentgenology
2) Squire's Fundamentals of Radiology
3) Learning Radiology: Recognizing the Basics by William Herring (also know about his website).

Does anyone here have input about Herring's book? How does it compare to Squire's? Is Herring's book even worth it, since his website is full of information?

Also, are there any small pocketbooks for radiology (something like pocket medicine or the washington manual of medical therapeutics) that would be helpful to have during a rotation or in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I wanted to get some input about books/resources appropriate for a 4th year med student looking to go into Radiology.

I've heard about:
1) Felson's Principles of Chest Roentgenology
2) Squire's Fundamentals of Radiology
3) Learning Radiology: Recognizing the Basics by William Herring (also know about his website).

Does anyone here have input about Herring's book? How does it compare to Squire's? Is Herring's book even worth it, since his website is full of information?

Also, are there any small pocketbooks for radiology (something like pocket medicine or the washington manual of medical therapeutics) that would be helpful to have during a rotation or in the future?

I've only read Herring's book, but I thought it was perfect for a 4th year elective. Squire's I've heard is a little too heavy for a 4th year. Felson's I've heard great things about, but I'd vote Herring cuz it has more heat CT, MRI and body imaging that you wont get any exposure to in felsons.

Agree with above. Learning Radiology is the book I've been recommending to any med student interested in rads, or even non-rads who are just rotating in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the recommendation Cowme and Nagnam!

Anyone else out their with suggestions?

Curious about Radiology Recall. I used surgical recall to prep for cases as it had common pimp type questions. Any utility in this type of book?

The only pimping question you will ever get on a rads rotation is: what do see in this image? I think recall is kinda worthless to help for this, it seriously lacks enough images that you need in an intro radiology text. I suppose it could help in addition, but I wouldn't waste my time...

The only pimping question you will ever get on a rads rotation is: what do see in this image? I think recall is kinda worthless to help for this, it seriously lacks enough images that you need in an intro radiology text. I suppose it could help in addition, but I wouldn't waste my time...
Thanks.

I have all three and here's my take.
-If I can buy one book of these three, it'd be "Learning radiology". I've read about 1/3 of the book and it gives images of pathology, differential diagnosis, how to recognize these pathologies, has good tables of important facts/comparisons and finally a "take home" table at the end of each chapter. It sort of reminded me of BRS pathology but for radiology. It's to the point, factual with little background explanation.
-Squire's is good. It goes through some basic knowledge regarding different densities and various modalities which I don't think "Learning radiology" does. Both Squire's and LR are good for med students, I think. But, LR gets to the point in a bullet point format while Squire's is written in a paragraph form and tends to explain things a bit more. It will take you longer to read this. If time wasn't a factor, I'd try to read both LR and Squire's.
-Felson's was good and I've learned some things (little tricks) I may not have learned otherwise in other books. It took me 2 full days to read this and overall I've enjoyed it.

Having said all that,
-I also bought a radiological anatomy book. I think this book is going to be my main squeeze since learning to recognize normal structures is the first step in learning radiology, I feel.

I bought used/older editions for all these and spent $60 or $70 total.

I have all three and here's my take.
-If I can buy one book of these three, it'd be "Learning radiology". I've read about 1/3 of the book and it gives images of pathology, differential diagnosis, how to recognize these pathologies, has good tables of important facts/comparisons and finally a "take home" table at the end of each chapter. It sort of reminded me of BRS pathology but for radiology. It's to the point, factual with little background explanation.
-Squire's is good. It goes through some basic knowledge regarding different densities and various modalities which I don't think "Learning radiology" does. Both Squire's and LR are good for med students, I think. But, LR gets to the point in a bullet point format while Squire's is written in a paragraph form and tends to explain things a bit more. It will take you longer to read this. If time wasn't a factor, I'd try to read both LR and Squire's.
-Felson's was good and I've learned some things (little tricks) I may not have learned otherwise in other books. It took me 2 full days to read this and overall I've enjoyed it.

Having said all that,
-I also bought a radiological anatomy book. I think this book is going to be my main squeeze since learning to recognize normal structures is the first step in learning radiology, I feel.

I bought used/older editions for all these and spent $60 or $70 total.

Which rads anatomy book? I def need to brush up on anatomy intern year and end up having a couple hundred left over in my education fund after paying for step 3 i think

Which rads anatomy book? I def need to brush up on anatomy intern year and end up having a couple hundred left over in my education fund after paying for step 3 i think

http://www.amazon.com/Imaging-Atlas...2112/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309797826&sr=8-2
I bought this one. It only has normal anatomy and not pathological findings. It's a good book. But, if I can find a book that shows axial section right next to a surface anatomy image of where that cut was made would be even better. As a student I'm not able to determine right away where the cut was made. I tried to look for Frankenstein's sectional anatomy book without success. So, I settled for this. Does anyone know where I can get a hold of a Frankenstein's book?

I would recommend Learning Radiology and Radiology Recall. Learning Radiology is a good primer for medical students to read at home. Radiology Recall is helpful because you can quickly look relevant anatomy, eponyms, key points in the reading room. E-anatomy is a good online resource as well.

I got a Fleckenstein's on google for 90.00 and I think it's better than Weir

I got a Fleckenstein's on google for 90.00 and I think it's better than Weir

On "google"? What are you talking about? Google now sells books? If you mean google search the only thing I get is stuff on Amazon (not google) which isn't even the crossectional anatomy book.