Books talking about the medical school process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greatdoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have any recommendations for books that talk about what medical school is like, what to expect, what to do, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

man, cole on the role is hotshot since he's an experienced forum chatter and knows about the search function! Surprisingly, people are still literate and yes, new books are still being published. I'd like to hear of some!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hot lights Cold steel (Michael Collins), Intern (Sandeep Jauhar), Complications (Atul Gawande), Another day in the frontal lobe (Katrina Firlik), What patients taught me (Audrey Young), Final Exam (Pauline Chen), Better (Atul Gawande) + more. Those are all really good books, but thats coming from an avid reader. Good luck =D

I appreciate the recommendations. However, I'm mainly talking about books that describe what medical school is like, not medicine in general.

man, cole on the role is hotshot since he's an experienced forum chatter and knows about the search function! Surprisingly, people are still literate and yes, new books are still being published. I'd like to hear of some!

Where can I find these "new books?"

OP, check out one of the 10,000 blogs SDN users write about their medical school experiences.

This book opened my mind with regards to the diversity of any med student body, and respect for them. Essays from various minority views that you rarely hear... so I recommend this.

<http://www.amazon.com/What-Learned-Medical-School-Personal/dp/0520239369>

The individual exepriences in med school vary with the school and that year's class, so its best to learn from your mentors, peers, and just life experiences after you enter med school.

2 years of studying, a year of monumental asskissing, and a final year of not giving a crap. Do you really need a book for that?

Though I did contemplate writing down a book about the past couple years. It wouldn't have much of a directional plot, but plenty of great villains.

not sure how any book can truly capture the "experience" that is med school. even people at the same school will have vastly different experiences... pretty much just ask someone in med school lol

....speechless

Where can I find these "new books?"

OP, check out one of the 10,000 blogs SDN users write about their medical school experiences.

Cole, are books the same things as blogs? smh

What is going on with SDN and *****hole responses...must be that time of the year..

....speechless

What is going on with SDN and *****hole responses...must be that time of the year..

I was actually being serious, I really don't see how you can write a book on what med school is like if everyone's experience is so different. It's like how can you read a book on what your college experience will be like, there are so many different aspects that affect it school, environment, friends, family, social stuff whatever. But hey, what do I know.

....speechless

Does it really matter if he gets the same knowledge? And the ******* responses are just my character.

Also, I love Christmas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it really matter if he gets the same knowledge? And the ******* responses are just my character.

Also, I love Christmas.
Well I'm a genuine ******* and I hate christmas. Where do I fit into all this? Oh right, I forgot my reply. Ahem.....

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION AND LRN 2 GOOGLE.

That is all.

haha.. I do hope that the allopathic section is much better than this.

It is... as you progress and move from the kids table to the adults table, the responses tend to become a little more thorough and helpful. Enjoy the immaturity here while you can!

It is... as you progress and move from the kids table to the adults table, the responses tend to become a little more thorough and helpful. Enjoy the immaturity here while you can!

Only problem with allo is that posts come at about 1/10th the rate of that of pre-allo.

Hot lights Cold steel (Michael Collins), Intern (Sandeep Jauhar), Complications (Atul Gawande), Another day in the frontal lobe (Katrina Firlik), What patients taught me (Audrey Young), Final Exam (Pauline Chen), Better (Atul Gawande) + more. Those are all really good books, but thats coming from an avid reader. Good luck =D

Complications, Another Day in the Frontal Lobe, Better and Hot Lights Cold Steel are all good reads, and now I want to check out the others ya'll mentioned.

I cannot think of any books that discuss the actual medical school experience however, but if anyone knows of any that would be welcomed.

I walk light, so I dont piss the ground off.

Complications, Another Day in the Frontal Lobe, Better and Hot Lights Cold Steel are all good reads, and now I want to check out the others ya'll mentioned.

I cannot think of any books that discuss the actual medical school experience however, but if anyone knows of any that would be welcomed.

I walk light, so I dont piss the ground off.

I like you.