Books that you've read (by Indian authors of course)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunny123

BOSCO!!!!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read several novels written by South Asian authors for two of my university courses here (which was well worth it). Anyone read the following:

Kushwant Singh's "Train to Pakistan"
Omprakash Valmiki's "Joothan"
Arundhati Roy's "God of Small Things"
Rabrindanath Tagore's "Gora"
Anita Desai's "In Custody"

Can't remember anymore at the moment.... If you did read any of the following, what were your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

i read the god of small things, and thought it was alright. it was good and all, but not as good as it was hyped up to be. my sister though thought it lived up to all the hype

*shrugs*

Same here, we had to read that one for my english class, and the class was raving about this book. Wasn't a big fan of it, and I thought it was too long. Speaking of long, Tagore's "Gora" was 498 pages full of beating around the bush (waaaay too much description for my liking). I can spoil it right now, but I don't think I should :D.

I really liked Joothan because it was an autobiography of Valmiki, who is of the Dalit community. I learned a lot from reading that book, and would recommend it to everyone out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone read Jhumpa Lahiri's books: "Interpreter of Maladies" or "The Namesake"? I heard that the first one was really good. It's on my books-to-read list. Let me know what you thought if you've read. :)

^ Nope. Is this author any good? I've never heard of her.

"The Namesake" is cute. I loved the book. I definately recommend reading it, its written well and you really feel for the characters. Its a top 10 on my list.

Another "fun" book, is "For Matrimonial Purposes" by Kavita Daswani. Its a very new take of old ideals on marriage and expectations of women. It's not empowering or anything of that nature...its just an interesting view of one girl's life. It's not as great as "The Namesake", because it doesnt have same depth and insight, but its still a good read.

One book that deals with the female perspective (and was an excellent read) was Manju Kapoor's "Difficult Daughters". I'll try reading that book you suggested blindluck :).

For Matrimonial Purposes" by Kavita Daswani :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Somehow,i didnt quite like Manju Kapoor's difficult daughters!!!

well this is an old one but kamala markandaya's Nectar in a sieve
neha

parasiteatwork said:
For Matrimonial Purposes" by Kavita Daswani :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Somehow,i didnt quite like Manju Kapoor's difficult daughters!!!
No? Why not? Was there something in particular that you didn't like? One part that I didn't like (I think it was the only part) was when she went to work at the school, and then her boyfirend forced his way into the house at night (when it was forbidden by the school rules). And then he forced himself upon him, and her dialogue was as if she did not want it, but she basically got raped in that part.... and because of his visit, she got kicked out of the school. That was the only part I didn't like.

sunny123 said:
No? Why not? Was there something in particular that you didn't like? One part that I didn't like (I think it was the only part) was when she went to work at the school, and then her boyfirend forced his way into the house at night (when it was forbidden by the school rules). And then he forced himself upon him, and her dialogue was as if she did not want it, but she basically got raped in that part.... and because of his visit, she got kicked out of the school. That was the only part I didn't like.
well,i actually didnt quite like the way the story flowed.....and somehow i just didnt enjoy reading it...too sad, i would say!!! maybe it had something to do with my mood when i was reading it!!!Anyways,Its great that you enjoyed it!!! :thumbup:

Have you read Rohinton Mistry's "A Fine Balance"? Apparently that is one sad story.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive read the Indian classic "Untouchable" by Mulk Raj Anand, and thought it was good.

I also have the controversial book "Shame" by the Bangladeshi author Taslima Nasarin, but I just cant find the time to read it....hopefully this summer, when I have a break, Ill get through some more books.

rxgal8 said:
Has anyone read Jhumpa Lahiri's books: "Interpreter of Maladies" or "The Namesake"? I heard that the first one was really good. It's on my books-to-read list. Let me know what you thought if you've read. :)
i think the namesake better...i thought the interpreter of maladies was a bit too depressing all around...although they were well written.

anyone read the "feast of roses" and its sequel "the twentieth wife"? they deal with the whole dynasty that ruled india and end in the time that the taj mahal was written. both books were amazing. i don't normally like stories that deal with wars, but these two were amazing. i read through each in a weekend....

they are written by Indu Sundaresan. i would definitley recommend these two. they are fiction, but are based on history :thumbup: :D

Dr.BadVibes said:
Ive read the Indian classic "Untouchable" by Mulk Raj Anand, and thought it was good.

I also have the controversial book "Shame" by the Bangladeshi author Taslima Nasarin, but I just cant find the time to read it....hopefully this summer, when I have a break, Ill get through some more books.
Didn't that book come out a while back (like a decade ago?). I think my mom bought that book, because of the controversy and all. I don't think I read it though.

wow....now my books-to-read list just got bigger. cant wait till spring break or summer :D

Ethics of Chankya (Chanakya) by Sahni. Not a novel.
Interesting thoughts on life, army, commerce, wealth ...
both in Sankskrit and English

1hotaartichoke said:
i think the namesake better...i thought the interpreter of maladies was a bit too depressing all around...although they were well written.

i liked interpreter of maladies better. i didn't really like the character development in namesake, but the story telling was better in maladies.

autobiography of a yogi.

i read illiberal education by dinesh dsouza. then i got to meet him and had an animated discussion about affirmative action. don't agree with his book though.

Now how animated was this discussion?? We're not talking anime-type animated are we?? ;)

I love
"Inscrutable Americans" by Anurag Mathur
"The GOD of Small Things" by Anurandhati Roy
"Speedpost "by Shobha de
All the books by Ruskin Bond
"A House for Mr Biswas" by V.S. Naipaul
"Family Matters" by Rohinton Mistry

1hotaartichoke said:
i read the god of small things, and thought it was alright. it was good and all, but not as good as it was hyped up to be. my sister though thought it lived up to all the hype

*shrugs*
Oh !I love this book....it has beautiful expression...

sunny123 said:
Have you read Rohinton Mistry's "A Fine Balance"? Apparently that is one sad story.
"Family Matters" by Rohinton Mistry is more sad.

sunny123 said:
Now how animated was this discussion?? We're not talking anime-type animated are we?? ;)

haha, not quite that animated. i didn't want to hurt him.

sunny123 said:
haha...you crack me up :laugh:

rxgal8 said:
haha...you crack me up :laugh:
Haha.. seems like I'm on a roll with my one liners here. I gotta start conserving them, and then leaving on a high note (just like George).

sunny123 said:
Haha.. seems like I'm on a roll with my one liners here. I gotta start conserving them, and then leaving on a high note (just like George).

georgie boy
remember that famous seinfield episode, where george realized his one liner were working good and so always decided to leave the meeting on a high note, that was so funny
I am like a big "seinfield" fan and have watched like almost all the episodes at least three times, I wonder what you look like
Do you really look like george of seinfield,??
everytime I see your avtar , i just burst out laughing as it reminds me of that funny,short, stocky bald guy. My fav was " Krammer" of course

I am a Seinfeld fan as well Nimesh (I watch almost three episodes a day). But unfortunately, I am not a fat, stocky, balding man :D. I look more like a sherpa from Nepal ;) .

sunny123 said:
I am a Seinfeld fan as well Nimesh (I watch almost three episodes a day). But unfortunately, I am not a fat, stocky, balding man :D. I look more like a sherpa from Nepal ;) .

I guess we live in the same region and have the same cable service(rogers)
so we get seinfield almost three times a day even with basic cable
But it is worth watching and even my son knows that he will not get to see his telivision when seinfield is on !!
anyways I don't want to corrupt your thread with english sitcoms
let this be a thread about books by indian authors

Ruskin Bond, Satyajit Ray & RK Narayan are my favourite south asian writers. I would recommend all of u to read Rusty's Adventures by Ruskin Bond and all the Feluda stories by Satyajit Ray I thouroughly enjoyed reading them when I was still in school. I still read books by Ruskin Bond, his books have great appeal for people from every age group. He is not just a children writer. I just finished reading Strangers in the night: Two novellas by Bond and I liked is very much. It is for the first time I have read him write about sex. Satyajit Ray's Feluda stories are really great. Originally written in Bengali these adventures of Feluda, a detective are must read. I also enjoyed reading The Malgudi Days, The Guide and A Dateless Diary by RK Narayan.

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri and The Inscruatable Americans by Anurag Mathur are also good one.

shardul said:
Ruskin Bond, Satyajit Ray & RK Narayan are my favourite south asian writers. I would recommend all of u to read Rusty's Adventures by Ruskin Bond and all the Feluda stories by Satyajit Ray I thouroughly enjoyed reading them when I was still in school. I still read books by Ruskin Bond, his books have great appeal for people from every age group. He is not just a children writer. I just finished reading Strangers in the night: Two novellas by Bond and I liked is very much. It is for the first time I have read him write about sex. Satyajit Ray's Feluda stories are really great. Originally written in Bengali these adventures of Feluda, a detective are must read. I also enjoyed reading The Malgudi Days, The Guide and A Dateless Diary by RK Narayan.

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri and The Inscruatable Americans by Anurag Mathur are also good one.

Have you watched Satyajit Ray's "Sonar Kella"? One of my favourite movies!

And, I wasn't a big fan of Narayan's "Tiger for Malgudi", it was ok, but nothing special.