Books to buy for rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FamilyDO2BE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like a lot of second years I am getting ready to go on rotations. At my school all my rotations are away from the school and the bookstore. What books should I go ahead and buy now. What is the best Medicine Text Harrisons or Cecils?

Any help would be appreciated ?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My humble opinion...

Ditch Cecil's.

Buy Harrison's.

If you want an awesome book for getting the main concepts down, check out The Principles and Practice of Medicine by Stobo et al. It's the Hopkins text, so I feel obligated to give it a nudge. :)

Get Harrison's. I've got both, and I'm always having to flip through Harrison's to find out something that wasn't explained well enough in Cecil's.

Caveat: Cecil's is much easier to read. Harrison's is a often a lot of medical-speak.

I also have the Principles and Practice of Medicine-good book. But I'll also throw a plug in for our school's (written by MCW docs) book:

Kochar's Concise Textbook of Medicine by Kutty, Sebastian

It has 261 "mini" chapters with quick pathophysiology of disease and more importantly management flowcharts and algorithms, something I find very, very useful as a medical student.

Members don't see this ad :)
For a great pocket book:
Practical guide to the care of the medical patient (or something like that). by Ferri

A real no-brainer book. If your patient shows this this and this, do this this and this. The book is a little hefty, but if you can get the PDA version, you're set!

Harrison's is considered "the Bible" of IM, very complete AND very detail oriented (including the minutiae only usefull for research). Personally, I have Harrison's and Kelley's and used a library copy of Cecil's, so I am familiar with these 3. Both Cecil and Kelley's are wonderful for rotations. They give the meat of the subject and skip the enldess details ( a plus when you are short on time), and they also are much better at "how to treat". Harrison's is unbeatable for the pathophysiology explanations. If I could only afford one, I would buy Kelley's for rotations and Harrison's for my residency.

I would suggest Cecil Essentials of Medicine for purchase for rotations (baby Cecil's) along with board review texts.

The hospital will always have the big text, as far as getting books, there are several places online that will be cheaper than a school store.

Every specialty has a bible...but don't buy them unless you are going into them or near them.

As far as the floors...a drug program on palm and ferri will be a good start.

The Ferri is now on Palm? That's twice I've seen this inferred on this post. Where can one find this? Sure beats having both the Wash Manual in one pocket and the Ferri in the other. :)
Thanks in advance.

Nu

ferri and wash. manual and TONS of others for PALM:

<a href="http://www.skyscape.com" target="_blank">http://www.skyscape.com</a>

regards.

Thanks, Ligament. Good to know, but not cheap! :)

Nu