Books to read to help with reading comprehension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birdie

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to read more often and build my reading speed and comprehension to help with verbal on the MCAT this coming April. I was wondering, what are some good books out there with really dense reading material like the MCAT verbal passages?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all the best place to post questions like this are on the MCAT discussion board.

Secondly, books arent really the best places to practice reading passages for the MCAT. Journals such as New Yorker, The Economist, Atlantic Monthly are more the style of the MCAT. Reading NYTimes is pretty good too.

Many people have said that LSAT and GRE reading passages have helped them, though I cant vouch for them personally.

I read the economist, which I think helped me improve my attention span for boring passages. Other that that, I did every possible Kaplan practice exam (in the mornings too, to keep things as real as possible). Anyways, reading comp has never been my strong point, I got a 5 on my first parctice exam which I felt I tried hard on. well, a lot of sweat and reading paid off and I got an 11 on the real thing, so that would be my advice.

Thanks PetraP. You are an inspiration! :)