books? Western...Comp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H-townComp

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all my future classmates class of 2006-comp.......if any 2005 or earlier class members see this post, u think u might be able to give some of the authors and titles of the current books you used during first year, like for anatomy, etc......please let me know, i will appreciate everyone's help....thus far I have been "talking" with Yosh and he has been the best help, and i can see he is really active on SDN, well anyways.......Bye.....Malik

Members don't see this ad.

H-TownCOMP- Congrats on your acceptance. Just some pointers on how to buy books...I had a friend already attending COMP when I got started so I can give you the pointers he gave me...

First, if you want to save money, try to avoid the bookstore if you can. He told me about a great website called ecampus.com which sells the textbooks you need for lower prices. I believe they still have free shipping and handling, too! Just make sure you give yourself ample amount of time for delivery and mail lag time.

The school will give you a list of REQUIRED books, it's quite lengthy, so don't freak out. You don't need to buy every single book. Let's see, the ones I bought were Netter Atlas of Human Anatomy! Must have! You can't get through med school without this! It's like your bible! Also, Lippincott's Review Series of books are great! I would HIGHLY suggest the one for Pharmacology and Biochem!! These are the only books that got me through those two dreadful classes. They are also coming in handy for reviewing for Boards (which unfortunately I have to start doing soon!) Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple is great! Lots of cool illustrations! Comes in handy for that second Micro test first semester! For Pathology, definately purchase Robbin's Pathologic Basis of Disease. Our Path professors love this book! Great photos, too! (the majority of which they use for lectures/lab exams!)

As for the other Anatomy books they REQUIRE, don't worry about it. The Grant's Dissector will be left behind in the Anatomy Lab by the previous class. As for the infamous "Dead Body Book", it's also good to have but again don't buy it because most likely your Anatomy group table will have it from the previous class. Moore and Dalley's Clinical Anatomy book is good, too. The anatomy profressors pretty much imply that you should have this book, but it's not quite that necessary. However, I bought it anyway...It just only gives you more stuff to read. That's up to you if you want to purchase it.

Don't buy the OMM books, our OMM dept. is so awesome that the handouts and lectures they give us stand alone!

Of course second semester is a little different, you'll need every single book on Neuroanatomy that man has ever made to get through that class, but I digress...

Also, at the beginning of the year, a lot of second and third year students will be on campus selling some of their books, so if you like used books, that's another option for you.

I hope this helps and best of luck! I haven't posted in a while, but feel free to ask more questions if you need to.

Ah yes, Eric714 is right about that dreadful H&N Anatomy packet! Enjoy your break but don't neglect those handouts! And yes, start getting used to Bailes b/c you're gonna see him everyday those first few weeks in January! :rolleyes:

Okay gotta get back to studying, OMM or Respiratory? Hmmm...

Kira, MSII

Thanks a Billion KIRA!!!,

you're the best, I didn't think i would find such friendly and efficient help. Anyways, I really appreciate and I am really looking forward to next year......I do have a question about third and fourth year also, when u have time, I was just wondering how it is structured, meaning rotations vs. class time, etc.....any info. would be great......well again, thanks and take care...Malik

Members don't see this ad :)
Bailes...more Bailes questions??? Uggh....I am not a big fan of his test questions...YUCH!

This break will appaently be like the

"12 Days(Crainial Nerves) of Christmas...

Can't wait for Gross to end....

Hi H-towncomp,
I am a 4th year from COMP, and I agree with Kira in terms of books. I am also selling some of my books--for first/second years and for clinical rotations. Just check out the ad here in SDN.
As for clinical rotations, your schedule varys with your rotation and the hospital/clinic. IM, Surgery, OB/gyn are busier than the others, and these tend to have calls. Most of my clinical rotation avg. about 8-9hours/day, 5 days a week. With call, like in IM, I usually get 3 calls(overnight)/month.
You do get some easy rotation too--like Pathology (which is required for our class), Psych, Radiology. Those are 4 hours/day. Most students would plan an easy rotation/vocation before their boards to give them extra time for studying; or plan an easy rotation between the tough ones to give themselve a break.
It really depends on where you do your clinical rotations. So just ask around and do some research (like the comments from the previous students who did the rotation)before you set up your clinical rotation in the middle of your second year. Don't worry about it now. You should be having fun and enjoy the time you have now before med school begin in Aug.

congrat on your acceptance to COMP,
Pei

Thanks for the info, Pei....I'll check out that ad for the books...thanks for all your help.....Malik

Hi Kiki2004,
That was a great post.. very comprehensive. I knew most of that going in, but it still took me awhile to give in and buy some of the books like Robbin's and the Lippincott for Pharm.

There are plenty of other helpful books that might help a bit during the basic science courses but would help even more when boards come around. I am planning on purchasing a few BRS (Board Review Series) books for Path and Pharm. I've also come across a Microbio book that seems pretty decent (Medical Microbiology and Immunology - Examination and Board Review by Warren Levinson and Ernest Jawetz).

You pretty much covered everything though.. great! Incidentally, have I met you before?