SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

boost your verbal!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by willy, Jun 24, 2002.

1. willy

willy Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 25, 2002
    New York
    Let's get your opinions: what is the best study guide for MCAT Verbal?

Thanks.

W to the Izilly

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. i got a 13-15 using only princeton review materials (took the course). but i've also been an avid reader since the age of 4, which i think is really the key - read, read, read!

4. SicVic

SicVic Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 19, 2001
    New York
    be ONE with the passages :D

5. Pneumo

Pneumo Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 30, 2002
    I got a 12 without any special prep books. I'm a firm believer in making your own verbal strategy rather than trying to "relearn" how to read using some other person's method. All I can say is that I have been reading since age 4 or 5, and have been a regular reader of NYTimes and WSJ since I began college.

6. Doctor Octopus

Doctor Octopus Hospitalist 10+ Year Member

May 23, 2002
    "Picksburgh"
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by leila:
    <strong>i got a 13-15 using only princeton review materials (took the course). but i've also been an avid reader since the age of 4, which i think is really the key - read, read, read!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ditto, except I used the Kaplan materials. Reading will help you more than anything else. Practice doing verbal passages and find out what strategy works best for you.

7. also do lots of full-length verbal tests so you can get the timing right. my problem the first couple of times i took practice tests was that i couldn't finish the last passage on time. you should be able to get through all of it without really having much time to spare (if you do, that usually means you went too fast and probably didn't read carefully). on the actual test i didn't have time to read the last question, so i just bubbled something in, but i felt that my timing was almost perfect.