Boot Review Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caverject

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I´ve been scouring the internet looking for a decent boot review website and found close to nothing! Knowing that most of us are Garrison Warriors, what do you guys wear and what is your feedback? This could help those of us that need to purchase boots and help out the newbies entering the military. Im out to replace my blackhawks. Im thinking about buying either the Danner TFX or the new Nike SFB´s. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I really hate that Nike does not ship to APO addresses. Guess we will see!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
BH83BT02DE95M.jpg

I bought these boots prior to Officer Basic and required no break in at all. Very comfortable boots overall. The inserts in these boots are not very good. The construction does not hold up over time. The pull tabs lasted about 6 months before they broke on me. I took these boots on my deployment to Afghanistan and the sole is starting to seperate from the boots. They are not gortex lined and do not dry fast. Made in China. I´ve owned these for about 2 years. Overall, fantastic Garrison boot. Perahps would be a great boot to have on deployment if they are new.

Last edited:
danner_acadia.jpg

Danner Acadia Insulated 400G Boots

Fantastic boots right out of the box. No break in required. The regular fit was a little narrow for me so I had to swap them for wide width. They are gore tex lined and insulated. They keep warm for the most part but would not be my first choice if I had to stand outside hours at a time in temperatures lower than 30 degrees. My feet went numb on hour three standing out side in 10 degree weather. I love the face they look like boots and not sneaker boots. The construction feels very solid and close to indestrucble. The Virbam soles are great when having to slog thru mud. I ended up submerging my boots in mud/water that was ankle high and no water penetrated my foot. These boots are made in the USA and are a great investment. The only downside to these boots are that they are very heavy.

danner_combat_hiker.jpg

Danner Combat Hiker

These boots are now issued to all army soldiers going to Afghanistan. They are only authorized for wear in Afghanistan. These boots are a little clunky and takes a few days to get used to. Once they are broken in, they are quite nice. They are goretex lined. Danner also includes a beefier insert for comfort. By far this boot has superior traction over rocks at FOBs. When I wear my regular tan boots it always feels like I am slipping and sliding over the rocks but with these boots, I can glide right over them. Since these boots are goretex, they do get hot inside. Great when its cold but not so much when its warm. These are made in the USA. Handy to have and will be great for future camping adventures when I get back to the United States!