Border states and PMPs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm EM, first, just to say. Now, I work in a hospital that is in a county that borders on another state. For that other state's prescription monitoring program, you have to have a license in that state to check it. I don't. So, that is my question - for those of you that write Rx that might be filled in another state, how do you check? Or do you, or, what do you do?

And kudos to those that don't write the narcs. I am learning from you guys, and didn't write narcs for a guy on benzos (also because his clinical case didn't support opiates).

Members don't see this ad.

When I worked in NC I lived in Charlotte which was essentially on the border of NC/SC. I did not have a SC license but one of my partners did. I used his sign in and password to check in SC and often had to check both for most patients

I suggest checking the online system carefully for more features. Connecticut's database will check neighboring States' PMPs (and even more distant States), but we have to enable the advanced option every time we do a search.
Clubdeac's solution is reasonable for the EM dept.
The PMP system does allow delegating login permission to allied health personnel (the system may even issue the non-licensed person their own login #). Your unit secretaries can search several State databases on behalf of a MD/NP/PA even when the provider is off shift.
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
kamilo is correct, but... he lives in the populous NE, and there is more communication with neighboring states than elsewhere. I think NJ, NY, Conn all connect.

but im not so sure other states will allow designating access to non-physicians. check with your local state. for example, access associates cannot check PMPs in NY - nurses can, however (because they hold a professional NYS license).

I work in PA, and border on NY. Our PMP just went live last week (nearly 15 months late), and NY doesn't play well with PA.

As for others at the same time, I'm single coverage at my job, so there's no one else off of whom to bounce this.

Thank you all. All is appreciated!

Our PMP has link currently to about 25 states, unfortunately a neighboring state is not one of them, Like they say Texas it is like a whole other country

Reactions: 1 user
So, I'm EM, first, just to say. Now, I work in a hospital that is in a county that borders on another state. For that other state's prescription monitoring program, you have to have a license in that state to check it. I don't. So, that is my question - for those of you that write Rx that might be filled in another state, how do you check? Or do you, or, what do you do?

And kudos to those that don't write the narcs. I am learning from you guys, and didn't write narcs for a guy on benzos (also because his clinical case didn't support opiates).

Hi from Oregon. I don't have active CA, or WA licenses but they
still let me have access to their PDMPs. Are you sure you need a
license in the border states?

Also, I'm not an ED doc but the EDIE system is rolling out
in my state: http://www.orhealthleadershipcounci...mergency-department-information-exchange-edie

My PMP has access to the following states:

ArizonaArkansasColoradoDelawareGeorgiaIndianaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMichiganMinnesotaMississippiNevadaNew JerseyNew MexicoNorth DakotaOhioSouth DakotaTennesseeVirginiaWest VirginiaWisconsin

I had a KY pmp authorization before the 23 state pact included KY and had no license for the state. I wonder if doctors in states along the Mexican border can check the drug cartel PMPs from Mexico.....

I had a KY pmp authorization before the 23 state pact included KY and had no license for the state. I wonder if doctors in states along the Mexican border can check the drug cartel PMPs from Mexico.....

I should check into that. My new practice I'm setting up is in San Diego county, I'd like to know if people are getting drugs from just across the border.

Why this Sh't is not national is beyond me

I should check into that. My new practice I'm setting up is in San Diego county, I'd like to know if people are getting drugs from just across the border.

I thought you could get opioids OTC in Mexico?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just fact checked myself. I think I was incorrect.