Borderline Personality disorder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaraPharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is there such a stigma against individuals suffering from borderline personality disorder. Are they difficult patients to work with? I always hear that they are the "worst" to deal with by mental health professionals.
I'm curious to know what psychiatrists, psych residents, and psychologists think on this matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Why is there such a stigma against individuals suffering from borderline personality disorder. Are they difficult patients to work with? I always hear that they are the "worst" to deal with by mental health professionals.
I'm curious to know what psychiatrists, psych residents, and psychologists think on this matter.

It sucks because they're sick, and there's no easy or straightforward treatment for it, and it can be very difficult to convince them or their family (and sometimes yourself) that it's real because the presentation can be so variable on a day to day basis.

Also, psych nurses in particular hate BPD patients because they all have BPD, and they're insanely jealous of someone stealing the drama llama spotlight.

The end.

One of the characteristics of the disorder is a high degree of manipulativeness but I don't see the stigma being worse than many other conditions.

Members don't see this ad :)
My bad. I shoudve posted this in the psych forum (just realized it existed).

Like other Axis II disorders are wont to do, people with BPD can easily bring about strong countertransference if you aren't prepared for what the patient will bring to the table.

Just wait until you get a patient with BPD or antisocial personality disorder; you'll see what I'm talking about.

PS I don't care if the DSM-V does or does not use these terms anymore, for anyone who might feel inclined to comment.

I've noticed that in some ways, borderline personality disorder's characteristics just remind me of what it's like to be a teenager. While severe cases clearly necessitate some sort of intervention, some of the symptoms just remind of of adolescence.

For example, "marked tendency to act unexpectedly and without consideration of the consequences," "difficulty in maintaining any course of action that offers no immediate reward," "unstable and capricious (impulsive, whimsical) mood," "disturbances in and uncertainty about self-image, aims, and internal preferences," "demonstrates impulsive behavior, e.g., speeding, substance abuse."

So to give an answer that's actually tailored to the question, perhaps mental health professionals resent these patients because they don't see all of the symptoms as really relating to a disorder.

Just wait until you spend enough time with a borderline. It is definitely a very difficult Dx to treat due to a number of reasons. It's one of those things that you have to see for yourself.

I think it's the splitting that makes the particular disorder difficult to work with. Either you are golden, their only hope, or you are evil. And you can go from one to the other within a single conversation. Also their relentless high-drama self destruction and then self pity.

Really? I love them! Huge ego boost when you first treat them, then as soon as they split they take themselves out of your care.

Bump for personality disorders

Just wait until you spend enough time with a borderline. It is definitely a very difficult Dx to treat due to a number of reasons. It's one of those things that you have to see for yourself.

try being married to one. PURE HELL! At least his psychiatrist and therapist get paid to deal with him. It is fascinating though. I seriously don't know how you can help someone who can't even see reality. He would sort of act in front of the psychiatrist and marriage counselor, almost like a lawyer putting on a case for a judge. His affect display was just fake. Hard to describe it really. It was like trying to rationalize with a pouty two-year old.

Reactions: 1 user
I've noticed that in some ways, borderline personality disorder's characteristics just remind me of what it's like to be a teenager. While severe cases clearly necessitate some sort of intervention, some of the symptoms just remind of of adolescence.

For example, "marked tendency to act unexpectedly and without consideration of the consequences," "difficulty in maintaining any course of action that offers no immediate reward," "unstable and capricious (impulsive, whimsical) mood," "disturbances in and uncertainty about self-image, aims, and internal preferences," "demonstrates impulsive behavior, e.g., speeding, substance abuse."

So to give an answer that's actually tailored to the question, perhaps mental health professionals resent these patients because they don't see all of the symptoms as really relating to a disorder.

yep, it's like dealing with a teenager. My ex-husband's moods reminded me of myself when I was about 14.

try being married to one. PURE HELL! At least his psychiatrist and therapist get paid to deal with him. It is fascinating though. I seriously don't know how you can help someone who can't even see reality. He would sort of act in front of the psychiatrist and marriage counselor, almost like a lawyer putting on a case for a judge. His affect display was just fake. Hard to describe it really. It was like trying to rationalize with a pouty two-year old.
Was it kind of like rationalizing with a guy who bumps 1 year old threads?