Born in Africa, but identified as African-American on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SquigglyQ

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm curious. & I apologize if this sounds insensitive, but are you:
  • Caucasian person born in Africa that is an American?
  • an African-American in the US sense (Black/person with African genealogy) but born in Africa?
  • Someone with closer, more well-defined African roots (family of recent immigrants), that is American?
I think that in all 3 African-American can be used correctly, but for AAMC's purposes the first one might not qualify.

Look Black mixed with Middle-Eastern, born in West Africa to African parents. But have spent the last 22 years in America, so decided years ago to identify as African-American

Reactions: 1 user
Look Black mixed with Middle-Eastern, born in West Africa to African parents. But have spent the last 22 years in America, so decided years ago to identify as African-American

I think that is fine. If that is the demographic you identify with, and your ancestry confirms that, then there's no reason you cannot put that on medical apps.

I'm just an applicant, but I've done some health disparities research and that's usually the reasoning behind all the choices you get when choosing your demographic (e.g. Black, African, African-American, etc.). If someone could chime in & confirm that would be cool though :)