Jul 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
My boss (a physician) says he would like me to give him the names of faculty I interview with so he can personally write them, if he knows them, to lobby on my behalf. Of course I'm incredibly appreciative of him offering to do this, but is it a good idea?

I should also note he has already written a letter of rec for me (of course I'm aware many interviewers don't see letters).

Ad2b

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
It would make me uncomfortable but not sure the ethics, etc. Last year, I had someone offer to contact an Ohio school or two where the buildings are named after his family; I said that while I appreciated the very generous offer, I was not sure the process worked that way and was concerned it might adversely affect me; he did anyway and it seems like it put us all in an awkward position (especially when I never completed the cycle).

Now, I've taken those schools off my list altogether. :(

Piglet2020

2+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2016
Let your own merits shine, not the merits of the physician. I would say the favorable LOR is enough.

Reactions: Ad2b
About the Ads

hubbsbubbs

2+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
if he knows them very well then it might help. but what are the chances of that? it sounds like it could get awkward fast

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Jul 23, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I think that is what LORs are for. I would be curious what adcoms think of extra outreach like this...

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
@LizzyM @gyngyn @gonnif

Any valuable insight on this?
1) interviewers submit post interviews almost immediately, that day or 24-48 hours later at most. By the time a phone call is made it is too late to have any impact
2) as an interviewer, if I got a call from an unknown person claiming to be a physician on behalf of an active applicant, I would immediately inform the person that this wasnt the proper channel to recommend and it borders on the unethical to do this in this manner
3) report the encounter thru channels as it can be suspect at fraudulent. I have been told on more than one occasion that applicants calling as such, even as much as doing so from the professor's phone or email.

To add to this, many schools now verify LORs, some ECs, etc post admissions / pre matriculation for due diligence on acceptees.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
My boss (a physician) says he would like me to give him the names of faculty I interview with so he can personally write them, if he knows them, to lobby on my behalf. Of course I'm incredibly appreciative of him offering to do this, but is it a good idea?
Even if your boss knows your interviewer, a post-interview contact will have no impact on your process, as the interviewer will have long since submitted their evaluation of your interaction. The LOR from him has already been submitted and was the more appropriate venue for him to support your candidacy.

OP
T
Jul 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
1) interviewers submit post interviews almost immediately, that day or 24-48 hours later at most. By the time a phone call is made it is too late to have any impact
2) as an interviewer, if I got a call from an unknown person claiming to be a physician on behalf of an active applicant, I would immediately inform the person that this wasnt the proper channel to recommend and it borders on the unethical to do this in this manner
3) report the encounter thru channels as it can be suspect at fraudulent. I have been told on more than one occasion that applicants calling as such, even as much as doing so from the professor's phone or email.

To add to this, many schools now verify LORs, some ECs, etc post admissions / pre matriculation for due diligence on acceptees.
Even if your boss knows your interviewer, a post-interview contact will have no impact on your process, as the interviewer will have long since submitted their evaluation of your interaction. The LOR from him has already been submitted and was the more appropriate venue for him to support your candidacy.

Thank you! I'll be sure to let him know.

Reactions: gyngyn
About the Ads