bostbacheloret -vs- 2nd BA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grayquail

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
bostbacheloret -vs- 2nd BA

After earning a BA in theatre I decided to return to school to pursue a career in medicine.
As I've been told I have two options: 1 pursue a non-degree postbachelorette certification, 2 pursue a second BA.
Can anyone tell me what the advantage of earning a postbachelorette instead of a second BA?

Members don't see this ad.

The post-bacc may be more focused on premed requirements and similar areas, which may prepare you better for med school.

(I think the word you are looking for is post baccalaureate. It sounds like you're talking about the party for the bride the night before the wedding...)

Originally posted by Djanaba:
The post-bacc may be more focused on premed requirements and similar areas, which may prepare you better for med school.

(I think the word you are looking for is post baccalaureate. It sounds like you're talking about the party for the bride the night before the wedding...)

I will be starting a post-bacc program this fall which is a 160 mile drive round-trip (it's the only post-bacc program in my state). Even though the main branch of my state school is nearby, I feel the advising there is practically non-existent. I am going the post-bacc route because advising seems readily available--your connection base is ready-made in terms of academic and logistic help as well as hooking up letter of recommendation. The power of these factors should not be underestimated and that is why I have decided post-bacc is for me--just my two cents.

You have a 3rd option as well: simply take the pre-med required courses at a university without worrying about getting a certificate or degree. Neither will help in getting admitted to a medical school - all you need are the classes and the MCAT. It does not matter whether you have a degree in a biological science or a post-bacc certificate.

As a student at a university, you will be able to avail yourself of the assistance of a pre-med advisor even if you are not a Bio/Chem/whatever major. Obviously, the advice available varies considerably from program to program and at times is no better than what you'd get here.

Post-bacc programs are more structured and many prefer them because of that. But don't leave out of the option of taking the required courses on your own and seeking out advice from the pre-med advisor at your school, forums like this and any health-care professionals and students you met along the way.

Best of luck!