BOSTON HOUSING - PLEASE HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HippocratesX

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone who is familiar with the area around Harvard tell me how to find the cheapest housing available?? I mean...it could be a closet for all I care. I would only need a place to sleep for few hours a nite. I know that apartments in Boston are very expensive, so I thought maybe somebody could give me a tip on where to start looking?? Also, does anyone know where to get information about people who need roommates in that area? I would really really appreciate your help on this one guys.

Members don't see this ad.

if you're attending HMS, they do have a dorm...
which is probably your cheapest bet.

housing around here, unfortunately, is insane.

check out bostonapartments.com, they have a lot of listings and a separate section of listings w/o a finders fee

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi HippocratesX,

Housing in Boston is hard to find, it requires a lot of legwork, but it isn't the nightmare some people imagine ie it's not New York! One resource worth checking out is the Harvard Housing Office. You can use their facilities with a valid Harvard ID or letter of acceptance. They are located on Brattle Street in Harvard Square and have computers and paper listings of apartments available submitted by independent landlords and "room shares"/Room mate ads. It takes a lot of work. If you are more interested in finding a place without work then the only way is to hire an agency. Some of these drive you to the housing to show you. Only go with these agencies if you want one as without that assistance it's almost as easy to just do the leg work and find one yourself. Half the battle with Boston/Cambridge is that every sub-city (Cambridge, Somerville, Allston, etc) have EXACTLY the same street names, not interconnecting, and finding an address can be a nightmare - especially if they list it as "Cambridge" to make it sound desirable when it is infact in Somerville....

As to areas, it really depends on your work habits. When I was in Boston I liked to be able to work late. As on-campus parking is impossible to get and costs the earth, and non-campus parking is just plain impossible you have two choices - live within walking/biking distance, or live on the transit system somewhere. If you live on the red line (eg Davis Square, or further out) housing is cheaper than living right beside Harvard but you are limited to getting to and from campus by the hours of the transit system which can be a pain at night (as Boston shuts down, unlike more civilized cities... :) ) and because in winter standing around in the cold bites ass. If you want to live within walking distance of Campus but NOT pay an arm and a leg look north of campus, across the Cambridge city limits into the city of Somerville (literally 5 minutes and up walk away). Somerville is a more blue collar area and rents are lower. I shared a house with 4 other students there and we paid $350/month plus utilities. I also lived 2 minutes closer into Cambridge and payed $700/month which itself was a good deal for Cambridge.....some people refer to this area as "slum-erville" rather than Somerville. Yep, it's not as swish as Cambridge but I never felt in danger there...it's just lower income, and as I had no income that suited me!

If you want lower rent but closer in you can always live in Allston but then you are again reliant on public transport or at least a longer bike ride (not really walkable, but bikeable in some weather). Allston is more middle income but personally I thought it was a pain to travel to and from. It remains popular with Business school people etc though as it's closer to their classes.

Good luck.

If you're going to HMS...

You'll want to live along either the C, D or E branches of the green line if you're not within walking distance to the medical school.

Recommended places:
- Coolidge Corner
**Lots of stuff to do, nice area in Brookline
- Cleveland Circle
**farther (15 minute commute to school but cheaper). Plenty to do

OR-

Live anywhere along beacon street or near the brookline hills/village D line T stops.

Visit mbta.org or .com (unsure which is which) to look at the transit lines--> if you live along one of those green line branches your commute to Longwood will be really easy.

Feel free to email me--I live in cleveland circle and commute to HMS every day.

Good luck!

Hi,
Another area you may want to look into is Jamaica Plain, some of the neighborhoods ("pond-side") are very nice, yet still reasonably affordable, a lot of students/professionals live there and you would probably not have a hard time finding a roommate. I live there now, and walk (1.5 miles) or take the bus to HMS everyday, it is a very convenient place to live if you will be in the Longwood Medical Area. The town is small with lots of unique restaraunts and shops, Jamaica Pond is cool, I would recommend checking it out.

Anyone have housing suggestions for someone attending Boston University? I'll be going there while my wife goes to law school at either Harvard or Boston College. Any suggestions of where we should live in between would be great!