Boston, SF, Philly, L.A. pet-friendly apts.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeattleRDH

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
These are the cities on my list for potential dental school:

Boston - Tufts
San Francisco - UoP
Philadelphia - Penn
Los Angeles - USC
Seattle - UW

Any advice on what to expect for cost of living? Especially finding a 3 bedroom apt or house that allows two small dogs. UoP is my first choice but I'm worried that rent is going to be ridiculous. Anyone know if student housing at the Presidio is dog friendly? It could be a deal breaker. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Lol... Renting a 3br apt or house at ANY of the locations listed above would be ridiculous, if not impossible, for a dental student... Unless you're a trust fund baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol... Renting a 3br apt or house at ANY of the locations listed above would be ridiculous, if not impossible, for a dental student... Unless you're a trust fund baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not a trust fund baby. Actually not a baby at all. In my 30's, almost married, 2 dogs, lots of furniture....

I currently live in a house in Seattle but I've heard that San Francisco has a cost of living that is at least twice what it is here. Anyone have experience with house hunting in these cities?

Members don't see this ad :)
My parents have a place in San Francisco. They're renting the upper portion of their flat (which is a 2bedroom/1bathroom) for at least 2500 per month. This is in the Richmond district btw which is fairly safe compared to other areas of SF. When you mean "the Presidio" I assume you mean the distrct in SF? If so, it's very dog friendly. Very nice paths and it's near Crissy Field (a mini-beach) if your dogs are up for that as well.

I'm currently an undergrad in LA and my rent is 2200 for a 2bed/2bath in the Westwood area. Rent is around the same price if you want something near downtown LA. I've been looking around LA for 3bedroom places and they're at the very least 3000 a month.

HTH.

Thanks.

UoP has student housing at the Presidio. I think it's owned or run by the school. Their place on Pacific Heights says "not pet friendly" so I assume the Presidio apartments are. Not sure though.

LA sounds pretty similar to Seattle, maybe a little more, but do-able.

Don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you should wait to be admitted to said schools before worrying about where to live.

Hup

Don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you should wait to be admitted to said schools before worrying about where to live.

Hup
I'm not going to waste my time applying to schools where I won't live. Nothing wrong with that. When it's more than just you it takes more planning. My sig.O. has to find a job in the potential city and as soon as I get accepted we're moving there so I can get licensed in that state.

Positive feedback only please.

I'm not going to waste my time applying to schools where I won't live. Nothing wrong with that. When it's more than just you it takes more planning. My sig.O. has to find a job in the potential city and as soon as I get accepted we're moving there so I can get licensed in that state.

What's positive feedback if it is NOT realistic?

Unless you want to pay an arm and a leg, pet friendly places are usually dumps.

I apologize, I thought you were applying to these school's regardless of the pet policy..

Hup

To quote one of my friends who's a real estate agent in the Boston area about renting and pets:

"If you don't have any pets, you'll have maybe 100 different listings that match the size/price/area you're thinking about. If you have pets, you'll be lucky to have 10 different listings that MIGHT match the size/price/area you're looking at" :eek:

Bottomline for a landlord and pets, if you have a pet for any appreciable amount of time in a rental unit, that landlord is looking at all new carpets when you move out and they try and re-rent it, with no pets, unless tha carpets are worn/stained/bad, they can often stay before re-renting

I lived right by UOP in pacific heights about a year ago. If you want to live by the school expect to pay around 3500 for atleast a 3br house. I was paying 2k for a 1br apt within 3 minute walk to UOP.

For USC, depending on how dirty of an area of LA you want to live in. For a 3br, expect to pay 2500 for a decent 3br.

I lived right by UOP in pacific heights about a year ago. If you want to live by the school expect to pay around 3500 for atleast a 3br house. I was paying 2k for a 1br apt within 3 minute walk to UOP.

For USC, depending on how dirty of an area of LA you want to live in. For a 3br, expect to pay 2500 for a decent 3br.
Thanks for the info. Pacific heights is nice but that's almost twice what we're paying in Seattle. We might downgrade to a 2br and put some stuff in storage... if I get accepted there.