Boston U -- letter of rec question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trying2becomeMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I don't hava a committee letter, I have to submit 3 letters, 2 of which must be from biology, chemistry, or physics faculty.

So, since I have a letter from 1 atmospheric science class and 1 community health class, I am doomed, huh? I don't have an option of getting a letter from the above faculties...

I basically wasted my money submitting primary to BU, right?

I called the admissions office, but the lady told me I had to have 2 from the depts listed above. :( :( :(

Members don't see this ad.

Atmospheric Sci doesn't count as physics? Seems like it should. You must have taken bio, chem, physics classes (at least the prereqs) or you shouldn't be applying. Try to get a few more recs. from these professors to send in with the ones you already have. Even if they don't know you well, at least you will fufill BU's requirements and hopefully the letters you have already sent will be good enough to make a decent impression. Have you been out of school for a while? If you have I can see why6 getting these letters might be tough.

i am having a bit of the same problem. there seems to be a consensus that schools want letters of rec that will best support your personal qualities, but then some schools are trying to limit that by saying we only want bio, phys and chem as "science" letters of rec. i find it to be a bit stupid, i personally don't see why, if necessary, one's grades and mcat scores couldn't speak sufficiently for bio, phys, and chem? also, most people have already gone to great lengths to get their apps ready by the time they recieve secondaries and it doesn't seem that practical to ask a person to qo and find another letter of rec. also also, if a person has the luxury of a having a premed committee at their school who will right a committee letter they don't even have to worry about the specifics. :mad:

anyhow, if you are not in a huge crunch for money ($100 is quite a bit of dough), i would send in the letters that you have and an addendum stating your dilemma and the reason that you have sent the letters you have sent.

bu told me that zoology could count as biology, so they are a bit lenient, also, they may not check the letters of rec so stringently when they get your file.

best of luck. :D