SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Boston U - why is their acceptance rate so low??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DarkChild, Jul 30, 2002.

1. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 27, 2002
    New York
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27 10+ Year Member

My guess: it's in a cool city, it's a well-known school (of sorts), it's not terribly difficult to get into. Thus, everybody wants to go there and thinks they have a shot. BUT, BU only has so many spots available...must my guess.

4. Explosivo

Explosivo blah! 7+ Year Member

~8,000 apps
    ~150 seats

Do the math.

5. Ceez

Ceez Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2002
    I was looking at the stats for my applicants from my undergrad (Stanford) for the year 2000. 142 applied and 3 got accepted.

6. Chowdah

Chowdah Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2002
    They have a few things that inflate their numbers, though. They have the accelerated medical program (for high school students) where well over 1000 kids apply for 20 spots. They also have a program for BU students where they can opt into the school after sophomore year. I don't know how many apply for that, but I think they offer 5 spots. If you were to take all of those applications and seats out, you'd be left with a much more normal looking number.

7. Bikini Princess

Bikini Princess 7+ Year Member

May 26, 2002
    don't forget that there are generally more acceptances offered than spots available.

8. lollie2006

lollie2006 Member 7+ Year Member

May 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    IMO BU jerks people around a lot more than other schools...they do everything in their power to make sure they don't give acceptances to people who won't matriculate. Just looking at the posts in this forum and from personal experience people complain about the BU waiting game more than other schools.

9. vyc

vyc Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 20, 2002
    Chicago
    it is most definitely bc of the large number of applicants they get.
    i agree with adcadet.
    and also lollie2006. from personal experience.

10. calbears84

calbears84 professional baller 7+ Year Member

Sep 16, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    it's because boston doesn't have a secondary....hella people just apply for the heck of it.