Boston Univ MA in Medical Sciences Class of 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desipardesi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heyy everyone,

I just wanted to start a thread up for people going to Boston Univ. this fall...i dont think another one has been started. It'd be good to have one place where everyone can talk about the program, general questions, housing, pretty much anything in regards to the program. I just found out i was accepted yesterdayy. I've got a choice between vcu, umdnj, and boston..and so far im leaning towards boston!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, congrats on your acceptance to the MA program. I am in the process still. I found out last Thursday that my application was in the process of being reviewed so hopefully I'll find out soon. Just wondering, were you called or just sent an acceptance? Anyway, again congrats.

I was accepted to Barry, UMDNJ, SUNY@ buffalo, NYMC, and BU.

I'm going to BU (and looking for apartments right now) :D
-Scott

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have been accepted to BU, Im sure you're planning on finishing the program by the end of the summer '06, right. Are you now in the process of applying to Med school for August '06 then?

ShyD33 said:
I was accepted to Barry, UMDNJ, SUNY@ buffalo, NYMC, and BU.

I'm going to BU (and looking for apartments right now) :D
-Scott

Hey,

Between UMDNJ and Boston, how are you making a decision between the two? i got accepted to both and im trying to figure out which program woudl be better...anything you know of that makes boston the better choice? thanks much!

ghadiel said:
For those of you who have been accepted to BU, Im sure you're planning on finishing the program by the end of the summer '06, right. Are you now in the process of applying to Med school for August '06 then?

Hey,

yea..im goin to apply this june, but the chances of getting in by next fall are kind of low. I'll give it a shot anyway. Most likely, ill end up applying next june for certain, and going *hopefully* to med school in 2007, fall. I will certainly try to finish the program by the end of next summer.

I'll be at BU in the Fall- it was the only school I applied to and thank god I got in. I think the program is a great choice because of location (Boston is great even though its freezing cold most of the year) and because I wanted med schools to see a full year of grades before I began applying- and during the extra year you can do an MPH or MBA or work or do whatever you want.. That said, I am planning to apply to med schools for entrance in Fall 2007...

Is anyone waiting until next summer to take the MCAT? I am worried that waiting could hurt my application, but I am pretty burnt out from this hellish school year and want some time to recover before the Fall. Does anyone know what the BU advisors have to say about this?

desipardesi said:
Hey,

Between UMDNJ and Boston, how are you making a decision between the two? i got accepted to both and im trying to figure out which program woudl be better...anything you know of that makes boston the better choice? thanks much!

There's a thread around here that talks about UMDNJ's program.
This is what swayed my decision: (this stuff is off the top of my head too)

Boston is cold.
Boston is a great city to live in. (I'm rather live there than Newark.)
It keeps track of there students, and where they go.
They boast an 85% matriculation rate into medical schools.
There's more medical classes to take if you want to.
The program is only designed to be one year.
I feel that more medical schools that I want to apply to will recognize BU's program more so than UMDNJs.

New Jersey is cold.
UMDNJ is in Newark, which is not too great a place to live.
There is no in campus housing. (BU doesn't either, but they at least have an Office of Off Campus housing, and school run, off campus apartments.
UMDNJ's program is a two year program.

Holla,

I'll be at BU next in the fall. I'm here in the summer now as well. All I hear is good things about the program, the only draw back is the lag year. It's great in the summer, but real real cold in the winter. Lookin' for housing too.

keep it real.

This may seem silly but can someone please explain the infamous " lag year " top me. I thought it meant an extra year where you have to wait because med and dent. school has already started. According to the MA program, if you start in the Fall, you should finish just in time to matriculate into Med/Dent school. I understand that you have not been able to include the letter of rec. from BU in time for the application process but I would think that the BU MA program would vouch for your progress and that they would give you a shot.

ghadiel said:
This may seem silly but can someone please explain the infamous " lag year " top me. I thought it meant an extra year where you have to wait because med and dent. school has already started. According to the MA program, if you start in the Fall, you should finish just in time to matriculate into Med/Dent school. I understand that you have not been able to include the letter of rec. from BU in time for the application process but I would think that the BU MA program would vouch for your progress and that they would give you a shot.

no they wouldn't.

They have to make decisions to grant interviews by november...but you wouldn't have any of your graduate grades until december.

Still waiting on a reply from BU and Drexel. Id prefer BU since they have a dental school. Anyway its been a week since my application was in review so I should know soon. Wish me luck.

ghadiel said:

Actually, what BU does for you is this. If you choose to apply to med school while going through GMS the Dean of the GMS dept will write a letter of progress on your behalf. Since you won't have grades yet or any real measure of progress, this letter merely serves as confirmation that you are in fact enrolled and attending courses in the MAMS program. Additionally, most med schools will wait for your 1st semester MAMS grades before fully evaluating your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
calbear15 said:
no they wouldn't.

They have to make decisions to grant interviews by november...but you wouldn't have any of your graduate grades until december.

Hmm, is this why I was getting interview offers in the winter/spring? Oh, no, that's because not all schools make interview decisions by November.

Singing Devil said:
Hmm, is this why I was getting interview offers in the winter/spring? Oh, no, that's because not all schools make interview decisions by November.

right. But most schools make decisions to grant interviews in November. It is definitely so for BU med; I confirmed this with admissions yesterday. The MAMS will not really become helpful until one finishes at least one semester.

If you're applying to BU while starting the GMS program, you would likely be in the second batch of interviewees, meaning you'd be interviewing in the spring. Usually, the current 2nd year GMS students go, and then the 1st year GMS students are considered. This doesn't mean you don't have a chance. I can think of 4 or 5 people off the top of my head who got in directly after first year - but they got in off the waitlist.

And I'm not sure if you're talking about "making a decision in November" in regards to interviews or people to accept, but this year, the absolute first date they accepted anyone (GMS or normal applicants) was January 15th (I know because I awaited that day quite anxiously). All these people were pre-Christmas interviewees though.

Hi everyone, I just found out that I got accepted to BU this morning! I also was accepted at Harvard Extension, VCU, Tulane - Human Genetics, Roswell Park - SUNY, Drexel School of Public Health and NYMC. I'm still waiting to hear back from Georgetown, Rosalind Franklin and Drexel, but BU was my number 1 choice so I'll see you guys in the Fall! :oops:

I still haven't received the official mailing - can anyone tell me when orientation or classes start? Also, if anyone is still waiting for their letter of acceptance, I would definitely e-mail Michelle Hall at [email protected]. They said they had made a decision on my application on May 26th, but they just mailed my letter on June 8th. So definitely contact her, she can tell you via e-mail what the committees decision was.

If anyone is interested in getting a group of BU MAMS students together for housing, PM me. It'd be great to have a sort of in-house support system. :rolleyes: See you guys soon!

Has anyone made any housing arrangements yet? Planning to visit BU in July to figure out my housing situation. Where do MAMS Students usually live?

I was just informed by Ms. Hall that I too was accepted to the MA MS program!!!! I am excited and scared as well. Anyone with the inside scoop on housing please share the wealth. I don't even know how financial aid works,,anyone please help........

wannabedoc34 said:
Has anyone made any housing arrangements yet? Planning to visit BU in July to figure out my housing situation. Where do MAMS Students usually live?

I believe BU has an open house some time in July. Check with the office of off-campus housing.

Most students live either in the immediate surrounding area (known as the South End), or Back Bay. Other common areas include Allston/Brighton, Brookline, and Central Square/Cambridge. It depends on what sort of neighborhood you like, or how close to school you'd like to be. I lived in Brookline and while I loved the area it was most definately too far. If you decide to go for Brookline I'd live no further west than Coolidge Corner (one of my favorite places in Boston). That is very commutable. If you want to live within walking distance of school there are many apts on Mass Ave that students lived in.

That said, I plan on moving to Central Square if I go to med school in Boston. Mainly because it's more suburban, has a unique culture, and I am more likely to obtain parking for my car. Also, a friend of mine lived here during the program and I just fell in love with it. It's a quick shot up Mass Ave on the #1 or CT1 bus to BU.

As far as financial aid, I submitted my FAFSA waaaaaaaaay past the deadline but still recieved the max in govt loans ($18500). I then took out the remaining amount via a private loan through Citibank (one of BU's preferred lenders).

Hope this helps!

cammy1313 said:
That said, I plan on moving to Central Square if I go to med school in Boston. Mainly because it's more suburban, has a unique culture, and I am more likely to obtain parking for my car. Also, a friend of mine lived here during the program and I just fell in love with it. It's a quick shot up Mass Ave on the #1 or CT1 bus to BU.

I wouldn't call Central Square suburban; the contrary, it has a village kind of feel to it (as in NYC's Village.) Lots of different types of people, funky restaurants, shops, etc. Yes, there are houses there as opposed to big apartment buildings or row-houses, but the commercial areas of Central Square (Mass ave) are anything but suburban. The houses there have all been converted to apartments, anyway, so it's populated mostly by young professionals and some longtime Cambridge families. Also professors, grad students, etc. Its a great area, but definitely not suburban.

Hi all, I too will be at BU in the fall semester. I'm currently working in Cambridge this summer and make the commute from Harvard Sq. to Kendall Sq. I'm thinking that housing up here may be a bit far from BUMC. From what I've heard, the #1 bus is pretty slow and inconsistent (especially if catching it up by Cambridge).

When I got a chance to visit, Ms. Hall mentioned that she lived near Petersborough St. by Fenway and that it was a pretty quiet neighborhood(surprisingly). That's the sort of area I'm looking at; close to the undergraduate campus and their facilities.

Does anyone have info on how this shuttle system works? It'd be nice to just pick it up from the undergrad campus and take it down to BUMC each day.

BTW: congrats on the rest of you all who've gotten in! =D

So orientation is September 1st. When's everyone planning on moving to Boston and what are you guys planning on doing before school starts?

calbear15 said:
So orientation is September 1st. When's everyone planning on moving to Boston and what are you guys planning on doing before school starts?
I don't know ANYONE in Boston. What are you guys doing to find roommates/apartments? Will be visiting in the next 2 weeks...What are some of the things I should do to help me (apartments/roomates)?

calbear15 said:

I plan on being there about 2 weeks before school starts.

ALSO, HUGE QUESTION! (it may be stupid) Are all of our classes going to be at BUMC in southend???)

ShyD33 said:
I plan on being there about 2 weeks before school starts.

ALSO, HUGE QUESTION! (it may be stupid) Are all of our classes going to be at BUMC in southend???)

Yeah, both our BU SOM classes and GMS classes are all in the same building. It's a pretty big building with three different wings and such. Library is in there as well, with a cafeteria in the basement.

ragingbull said:
Yeah, both our BU SOM classes and GMS classes are all in the same building. It's a pretty big building with three different wings and such. Library is in there as well, with a cafeteria in the basement.

great.. thats good to know. I wonder how the caf. is?

hey, i just found out that i got accepted to bu and i really want to go there but i have a problem... they kept telling me they're weren't receiving my transcripts and i kept sending them so eventually i just said f*(k it and figured i wudn;'t get in, then last month i got an acceptance to another smp where i don't wanna go as much but i commited cause i assumed that BU fell through... anyway, this other smp is connected is through my state's med school and i was wondering if u rescinded my acceptance, would that hurt my chances of getting into my state's med school? what do u guys think?

Anyone already planned out how they are going to pay for the program? Has anyone looked into school loans or private? Just wondering because Im a tad stressed with the whole moving across the country not knowing what to expect.

ragingbull said:
Does anyone have info on how this shuttle system works? It'd be nice to just pick it up from the undergrad campus and take it down to BUMC each day.

Here's a link for anyone thinking about taking the BU shuttle between the medical campus and the main campus. http://www.bu.edu/thebus/ The bus is pretty reliable- but can take a long time during rush hour when there is a lot of traffic. It's nice though cuz it's free!

Hi guys,
Here's some info if you're looking for housing. Go to this website for the BUMC Office of Housing Resources [http://www.bumc.bu.edu/Dept/Home.aspx?DepartmentID=375]. If you're interested in the 'Roommate Matching' link to the left, here's the information that you'll need to know (pasted from an e-mail from their office)

'To access the roommate matching database visit:
www.bumc.bu.edu/ohr/roommates. You will need the following information to
log-in as a temporary user:

User ID: roommate
Password: search

Once you have entered your information into the database be sure to check
back periodically for potential matches.'

I also asked them about typical places students live that attend the MAMS Program. They said:

'The medical campus is located in the South End neighborhood of Boston. Most apartments in the South End would be within walking distance of school.
Other parts of the city you can reach either by bus or a combination of bus
and subway. There nearest subway stop is the Mass. Ave stop on the Orange Line. There is also a free BU shuttle service that transports between the Charles River Campus (main campus) and the Medical campus. The most popular locations for our students to reside include the South End, Brookline,
Fenway/Kenmore, and Cambridge. 40 minutes is a typical commute time.
Anything less is considered a very good commute.'

I personally found a great place in Allston/Brighton through craigslists. My lease starts Aug. 15th. Is anyone else going to be there around that itme? Maybe we should have a class of 2006 get together before orientation. :)

Also, does anyone know if our program offers any financial aid - other than loans? Thanks!

FrVerona said:
My lease starts Aug. 15th. Is anyone else going to be there around that itme? Maybe we should have a class of 2006 get together before orientation. :)

I think thats a great idea. Maybe someone in Boston could pick a time and (more so) a location.

Is there anyone besides me who is on track to go to dental school and that got into the MA medical sciences program with a concentration in "oral health sciences"?

Hi MAMS people,

How did you have your MCAT scores sent to BU? On the MCAT score release system there isn't an option to have them released to BU, so I'm wondering if you mailed a copy, faxed a copy, emailed...????

Thanx.

I printed it out and mailed it to them. It has a confirmation code on the printout that they can check so it doesn't matter what you do.

Silent Cool said:
Hi MAMS people,

How did you have your MCAT scores sent to BU? On the MCAT score release system there isn't an option to have them released to BU, so I'm wondering if you mailed a copy, faxed a copy, emailed...????

Thanx.

wannabedoc34 said:
I printed it out and mailed it to them. It has a confirmation code on the printout that they can check so it doesn't matter what you do.

Hey everyone,

What were some of your MCAT scores. I received mine today and I was, um...a little but unpleased...way below what I expected based off practice tests. I scored a 24O--oh my! Needless to say, I"m re-taking in August.

hey, are any of you guys planning retaking the mcats next year while in the bu program

ghadiel said:
Is there anyone besides me who is on track to go to dental school and that got into the MA medical sciences program with a concentration in "oral health sciences"?

Hi Ghadiel,
I am on track to go to dental school, I am also in the oral health sciences
division of the MAMS program. I wonder how many of us there are. I graduated
from BU a while back, I know it will be a tough program but i am excited to start it.

Jdent02 said:
Hi Ghadiel,
I am on track to go to dental school, I am also in the oral health sciences
division of the MAMS program. I wonder how many of us there are. I graduated
from BU a while back, I know it will be a tough program but i am excited to start it.

Im more nervous about the move. Im from Texas and so Im trying to find places that reasonable "$". As far as being excited,,,oh yeah. I understood that only 10 in this concentration were being chosen.

Ten, wow, do you know how large the entire division is?
Also do you know which courses we will take at Goldman.
I was curious if we might take something hands on,
like a preclinical course. So that's 2 of 10. Where are other
8! Dont worry you'll find reasonable places. Wait till the last minute
i know its may cause a bit of anxiety but you will save a lot of money,
and can find nice places. I found a 3 bedroom last minute for 1700 in brookline last year, now they are getting 2500 for it.

Jdent02 said:
Ten, wow, do you know how large the entire division is?
Also do you know which courses we will take at Goldman.
I was curious if we might take something hands on,
like a preclinical course. So that's 2 of 10. Where are other
8! Dont worry you'll find reasonable places. Wait till the last minute
i know its may cause a bit of anxiety but you will save a lot of money,
and can find nice places. I found a 3 bedroom last minute for 1700 in brookline last year, now they are getting 2500 for it.

Hey guys
I just joined SDN today and saw this forum. Im in the oral health track as well, I didn't know there were only 10 of us. That's crazy..anyways see you all soon =)

i talked to dr brightman who i think is the director and he said most people take the mcat the august after the program bc it's hard to do in the spring semester and then just do the thesis in the fall semester after which can be done from anywhere in the country. also, im thinking of doing the ma/mph degree, which puts me at graduating in august of 2007. annoying, because i plan on going to med school that month.

i sent in the deposit but i havent decided between BU and just doing upper level sciences at a state school. i dont like the idea of being a late applicant or the idea of finishing so late. any suggestions?

monu1234 said:
hey, are any of you guys planning retaking the mcats next year while in the bu program

kdel953 said:
i talked to dr brightman who i think is the director and he said most people take the mcat the august after the program bc it's hard to do in the spring semester and then just do the thesis in the fall semester after which can be done from anywhere in the country. also, im thinking of doing the ma/mph degree, which puts me at graduating in august of 2007. annoying, because i plan on going to med school that month.

i sent in the deposit but i havent decided between BU and just doing upper level sciences at a state school. i dont like the idea of being a late applicant or the idea of finishing so late. any suggestions?

i keep mulling it over, and it seems like i'll start studiyng over winter break and maybe take 1 less class in the second semester that way i can have extra time to study for mcats and aim for the april date