Boston University Clinical Requirements for Graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kov82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here is at BU now, or graduated, or knows someone who ended up in a residency program after graduating from BU because they were not well prepared to work right after graduating, that the clinical requirements were very low and that they did not learn how to be a confident competent dentist so they were forced into a residency program, this was something I heard and am wondering about, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I hate the d@mn school but not for the reason you mentioned. Their board review is a joke in comparison to Tufts and Harvard; they had this guy in AEGD who hadn't and couldn't even pass the NERB in three tries giving out board reviews. Maybe that's why he's in AEGD? There aren't enough chairs to go around so students come in at 6am hoping for a space to open up from all the 'phantom' booking cancellations. One student may already finished 50 crowns while another only finished only 5 crowns by graduation time. Your faculty mentor might be some loser who can't handle real life dentistry so sold his practice or someone who don't yet have a license. I can go on and on but you get the drift.

Nevertheless, you will do just fine clinically cause you will pay too much money to not prepare yourself well. I'm probably a weaker grad from there cause I only fulfill the bare minimum, yet my clinical board scores were all 100%. Immediately after getting licensed, I was confident and competent enough to build from scratch and open my solo practice without any further experience. There's a new BU grad here, Coldfront, who is currently starting his practice from scratch right after graduation because he is confident in his competency.

Last edited:
I hate the d@mn school but not for the reason you mentioned. Their board review is a joke in comparison to Tufts and Harvard; they had this guy in AEGD who hadn't and couldn't even pass the NERB in three tries giving out board reviews. Maybe that's why he's in AEGD? There aren't enough chairs to go around so students come in at 6am hoping for a space to open up from all the 'phantom' booking cancellations. One student may already finished 50 crowns while another only finished only 5 crowns by graduation time. Your faculty mentor might be some loser who can't handle real life dentistry so sold his practice or someone who don't yet have a license. I can go on and on but you get the drift.

Nevertheless, you will do just fine clinically cause you will pay too much money to not prepare yourself well. I'm probably a weaker grad from there cause I only fulfill the bare minimum, yet my clinical board scores were all 100%. Immediately after getting licensed, I was confident and competent enough to build from scratch and open my solo practice without any further experience. There's a new BU grad here, Coldfront, who is currently starting his practice from scratch right after graduation because he is confident in his competency.
I concur.

Out of about 115 people who graduated with me, about 85% got their diploma on time, another 14% got it within 60 days after graduation, the last person to graduate 2010 left the program last month - but he was not in a hurry or cared about what comes next after school.

Most of my classmates ended up doing residency, very few planned to work and did get a decent job like I did with corporate companies. I found myself a good mentor at an office where I just don't learn clinical dentistry, but also how to run an office. I focused on my start-up right after graduation, and will have grand opening next month. I could have not done it without prior research since 3rd of year of dental school, and talking to many seasoned docs from SDN, DentalTown, and in the real world.

Good luck with BU.