Boston University Clinical Requirements for Graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kov82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here is at BU now, or graduated, or knows someone who ended up in a residency program after graduating from BU because they were not well prepared to work right after graduating, that the clinical requirements were very low and that they did not learn how to be a confident competent dentist so they were forced into a residency program, this was something I heard and am wondering about, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There curriculum is based upon a number of competencies rather than strict clinical requirement. From what I've heard from students is that you can get as much clinical as you want, you just have to put in the time. They will give those interested in ortho a number of patients every Friday to work on and special chair space. Also with chair time as long as you are proactive you will always find yourself with more than enough chair time.

The students at the school also said that about 1/3 specialize, 1/3 do GPR/AEGD, and 1/3 go into private practice. This is about the average for schools nationwide.

Like with any other dental school, you get what you put into it. If you wait till the last minute to get a chair and don't call your patients then clinical requirements are going to be hard for you. However, that would be true anywhere.