Boston University GMS - MAMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like this thread to do 3 things:

1. I am a current Boston University GMS Student, Masters in Medical Science. I am at the end of my first year, and am about to apply to Med School. I may be able to provide some insight into the program: how it works, classes you take, its success rate, and whatever random question you might have (including non-academic, like how is Boston). I know a lot of this information is available in other threads. However, as a 2009 student, I'd like to offer any help I can. Feel free to post on the thread or PM.

2. <deleted>

3. I have had trouble finding 'tracker' data of BU GMS graduates. If it is available somewhere, please provide the link for the thread. To all BU GMS-MAMS graduates, could you please provide some data? Your undergrad and graduate GPAs, MCAT, and where you were accepted? I think this information would be quite helpful to both current and prospective students to BU GMS.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey camara, sorry i cant really help answer any of your questions, but i was wondering if you could answer a couple of mine. I was recently accepted to BU MAMS and am seriously considering attended in fall 09. I am from cali and have never been to the boston area and was wondering first and foremost what the living conditions are like? To be more specific, do you know people in the program who lived in south boston? Dorchester? and how was there commute? Secondly I wanted to ask you about your 3.8 in the program. How hard was it to obtain this? what classes did you take and how many of them were med school classes? What were your study habits?

Responses to any of these would be a great help, thanks in advance.

Camaras, I'm not an experts on stats, but your high GPA in the MAMS program will probably help you a lot-- I would expect that you'd be competitive for most schools you apply to based on everything else you've mentioned.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There is a whole separate forum on SDN for postbacc and SMP programs; it's under the "Interdisciplinary" category on the forums front page. I think there will be many more knowledgeable people there who could answer your questions.

Hey camara, sorry i cant really help answer any of your questions, but i was wondering if you could answer a couple of mine. I was recently accepted to BU MAMS and am seriously considering attended in fall 09. I am from cali and have never been to the boston area and was wondering first and foremost what the living conditions are like? To be more specific, do you know people in the program who lived in south boston? Dorchester? and how was there commute? Secondly I wanted to ask you about your 3.8 in the program. How hard was it to obtain this? what classes did you take and how many of them were med school classes? What were your study habits?

Responses to any of these would be a great help, thanks in advance.

I was going to PM you...but I thought I'd leave this part for the public, in case it is helpful to anyone else...

I am from cali and have never been to the boston area and was wondering first and foremost what the living conditions are like? To be more specific, do you know people in the program who lived in south boston? Dorchester? and how was there commute?

South Boston/Dorchester is certainly an option for living - but in my opinion, not the best. Right off the bat, no matter where you are in Dorchester, you are more or less 45 minutes (walking) away. Of course, there is a public transportation (Bus/Subway) alternative, but nonetheless, its a hassle. Depending on what part of Cali you are from, it could be a dramatic change in weather. And this Bus/Subway/Walking business can become a REAL hassle in the 500 feet of snow we may suddenly get one morning.

You should know Boston University has two campuses: the Medical campus has Medicine/Dental/Public Health, among some other things. The Charles River campus has undergraduate, and a whole host of other things. There is a shuttle (the Boston University Shuttle, or the BUS (clever, clever)) that runs like 7am-11pm between the two campuses (generally every 20-30 minutes). The BU Shuttle is free.

This allows you to look for housing at either campus. Places you should look into: South End, Fenway, Backbay, Kenmore, Longwood, and Brighton. That is listed from closest to the School of Medicine to farthest (brighton = farthest). Note that BU Shuttle does not stop near Longwood. Also note that from Brighton, there is generally a 10 (up to 20) minute walk to the nearest BU Shuttle stop. I would not recommend living in Roxbury, although it is quite close to the Medical campus. Actually, just don't live in Roxbury, it can often be a bit of a safety issue. haha. Brookline is another option, might be cheaper, but its a 20-25 minute drive away.

---------------------------------

If anyone has any questions about any of that, feel free to ask.

I'm a 3rd year medical student (former BUSM GMS student) that is currently looking for a new roommate to share a 3 bedroom at Harrison Court. Here's more info:

Apartment is located in Harrison Court at the Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM). Tenants are required to be students at the BUSM (School of Medicine, Division of Graduate Medical Sciences (GMS/MAMS program), Goldman School of Dental Medicine or School of Public Health). Room is available on August 15th and is $789/month. Move in date has some flexibility.

We’re looking for a new roommate for a partitioned third bedroom in a 2-bedroom apartment, two bath. Bedroom is spacious, great privacy with two respectful roommates and you can’t beat the price! Bedroom has air conditioning, free internet and cable is already hooked up in the room (paid monthly). Apartment has its own washer and dryer. Roommates are two female 3rd year medical students at the Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM).

Apartment is located directly across the street from the Boston University School of Medicine and the Boston Medical Center. And is 4 blocks from the CT1 and Mass Ave. and 2 blocks from the Silver Line at Washington Street, both of which transfer to the Green Line (at Hynes or Boylston) or the Red Line (at Downtown Crossing). Groceries, up and coming restaurants and bars, all within walking distance.

PM me if you're interested and I can send you pictures of the apartment!

I would like this thread to do 3 things:

3. I have had trouble finding 'tracker' data of BU GMS graduates. If it is available somewhere, please provide the link for the thread. To all BU GMS-MAMS graduates, could you please provide some data? Your undergrad and graduate GPAs, MCAT, and where you were accepted? I think this information would be quite helpful to both current and prospective students to BU GMS.

Thanks!

Hey! any luck finding this? I just finished the first year of BU MAMS with a 3.58, retook the MCAT July 17th and made a 33Q (12PS 11VR 10BS) and applied broadly. my ug stats are terrible 3.04 cGPA and 2.78 BCPM. I am complete at all of my schools and now just keep worrying about how much my undergrad scores will affect me....do you know anything about this???? Good luck camaras!!!

Hey! any luck finding this? I just finished the first year of BU MAMS with a 3.58, retook the MCAT July 17th and made a 33Q (12PS 11VR 10BS) and applied broadly. my ug stats are terrible 3.04 cGPA and 2.78 BCPM. I am complete at all of my schools and now just keep worrying about how much my undergrad scores will affect me....do you know anything about this???? Good luck camaras!!!

I haven't had any luck with a tracker thread haha sorryyyy!