Boston University interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicomel

Purveyor of short posts.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any compelling reason why I should go to this interview? I read the interview feedback, and I wasn't really impressed.

Any advice or comments???

Members don't see this ad.

chicagomel said:
Is there any compelling reason why I should go to this interview? I read the interview feedback, and I wasn't really impressed.

Any advice or comments???

if you really don't think you are crazy about the school, and you are into another school you like better, i would ditch the interview/withdraw the app. the only compelling reason i see to go is if you aren't in anywhere yet. good luck!

It costs a lot to go to BU. However, it is a good school. The training hospital - BMC - is really great. (lots of disadvantaged people - good training, culturally diverse pt pop) Also, good residency placement afterwards. However, if you have plenty of interviews, at better/cheaper/closer places can it. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. - Plus - if you do, it means another possible spot for me..... - But don't go just to spite me!

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: you can have it lemonlite! i'll decline the interview. and thanks spoon...you're totally right about the cost. I'll probably be going to my state school here in Chicago, which is cheaper and boasts amazing clinical years as well.

Good luck to all those applying to BU :luck:

Has anyone tried to call up other schools around the Boston area (ie. Tufts, Harvard) to see if they can squeeze you in for an interview b/c you got one at BU? If so, how did it go...

Thanks

Tufts won't do anything for sure.

ti89 said:
Tufts won't do anything for sure.

TI89's got me through calculus!! Hands down best calculator.

BU is in a nice city, but the people there are dinguses. I drove up from NYC in my cousins car and I guess the NY plates were pissn' people off. It just made me act like an even bigger ass in traffic.

Its a good school and the dean is funny, but you shouldn't go if you are not ready to fork over lots of $$. 2bdrm apts go for 2600/month, thats expensive even for the bay area.

BerkeleyMD said:

BU is in a nice city, but the people there are dinguses. I drove up from NYC in my cousins car and I guess the NY plates were pissn' people off. It just made me act like an even bigger ass in traffic.

Its a good school and the dean is funny, but you shouldn't go if you are not ready to fork over lots of $$. 2bdrm apts go for 2600/month, thats expensive even for the bay area.
holy mother of crap! are you serious? that's insane. and here i am complaining about houston with its $1200/month for a 2bed apt.

yet another reason why i could never see myself living in boston. it's sad, though, because it's always been one of my top 3 places to live:

chicago
san francisco
boston

:(

yourmom25 said:
holy mother of crap! are you serious? that's insane. and here i am complaining about houston with its $1200/month for a 2bed apt.

They said that was for the nicer apts, but I still was like.. :scared:

I paid 1000/month for my 1bdrm at berkeley and that was considered cheap!

I figure loans and parents will do the trick for me at BU, if I get in.

Anyone actually know when BU starts rejecting ppl? I called a couple of weeks ago and they said, "they're mailing me a letter in a month"? I should have pressed but what does that mean?!

Thanks

did you get the follow-up email #1 ?

it said it will be in the mail soon.

um, i work in boston and grew up in the area. you can def get a 2br for much less than 2600. that's like a luxury apt. most apartments arent that nice or new since the city is older than anything out west. look on craigslist to get a better idea of prices.

Members don't see this ad :)
isobel said:
um, i work in boston and grew up in the area. you can def get a 2br for much less than 2600. that's like a luxury apt. most apartments arent that nice or new since the city is older than anything out west. look on craigslist to get a better idea of prices.

I guess its dumb on their behalf to just present us with some of the more expensive properties. They made it seem like getting a 2bdrm for less than 2k will require living in an extremely bad part of town.

CalBoi82 said:
Has anyone tried to call up other schools around the Boston area (ie. Tufts, Harvard) to see if they can squeeze you in for an interview b/c you got one at BU? If so, how did it go...

Thanks

I tried calling Tufts on Monday morning at 9AM EST (right when they open), but got the machine. I left a message but no one has called me back yet...

Since I'm coming from Oregon I was hoping to squeeze Tufts and BU into the same trip. looks like I'm outta luck.

BU is trash. i just got their e-mail rejection and i'm like their best applicant ever. whatevs.
-mota

amk25a said:
This is a disappointment, as much for those who are responsible for the decision as it may be for you, the candidate who is turned away.
That's classic. "as it may be for you"... ah, good stuff.

BerkeleyMD said:

I'll bet that it costs that much anywhere in the best part of any city. You could live in those high rent apartments but there are plenty of 1000-1200/2 Bedrooms, so let's not exagerate wildly here.

fiddler

you can easily get apartments for cheaper in boston. those prices are for like copley/backbay or right in kenmore square. luxury.

BU's a great school. if it didn't cost so much, i bet its ratings would go up with stronger applicants deciding to matriculate.

i'm gonna have a really tough time deciding between suny's and bu (if i get into them of course).

how long (from the time of thier complete email) did it take people to hear back from BU (either interview or rejection).
thanks

I was Complete on 9/02, Interview Invite 9/23; Interview was on 10/21

Kleintje said:
I was Complete on 9/02, Interview Invite 9/23; Interview was on 10/21

complete 9/17, interview invite 11/10. they wanted me to come in a week but I rescheduled for December.

so it definitely took a while for the invite...