Boston University MAMS 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1234smp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone accepted for September 2013.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you apply for the oral health track?

Hey everyone,

I'm currently a second year MAMS student who will be going to medical school next year. Feel free to ask me any questions you have about the program or Boston in general and I'll try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did BU MAMS start accepting students for 2013-2014 yet?

Yes they have already started sending out acceptances.

Got accepted for Fall 2013!

To be completely 100% honest, if that is your gpa this program is not for you.

1. It's 40K plus expensive cost of living in Boston and theres no scholarships or grants. Add that to 150-200K+ med school debt.
2. Your gpa is already very much within the range acceptable for any med school (I think the average at WashU is the highest at like 3.86).
3. This program is extremely time consuming and difficult to do well (I'd estimate that less than 10% of the class received a 4.0, probably much less than that).

If I were you, I would find a job related to healthcare or just go travel and do something you want to do. If your havig mcat trouble, take a course, give yourself 3-6 months to study and nail the score you want. This program won't help you with your mcat score besides maybe bio. But that's an expensive way to do well on one subject area.

Also take everything I say with a grain of salt. I loved my time at BU and I ended with a 4.0. I had a little bit lower gpa than average so MAMS helped me tremendously.

I don't think you need this program at all IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
3.75 cGPA
3.79 sGPA

27N MCAT

There is absolutely no way you should do an SMP with that GPA. If you just spend from now to May to study the crap out of the MCAT, you will
(1) Save tens of thousands of dollars.
(2) Save a year of your life, since BU MAMS doesn't like you to apply to med schools during the program.
(3) Actually get into medical school, since even after the MAMS your MCAT will still be low, your academic record will be at best as good as it was before, and you'll be just about where you started.

To be completely 100% honest, if that is your gpa this program is not for you.

1. It's 40K plus expensive cost of living in Boston and theres no scholarships or grants. Add that to 150-200K+ med school debt.
2. Your gpa is already very much within the range acceptable for any med school (I think the average at WashU is the highest at like 3.86).
3. This program is extremely time consuming and difficult to do well (I'd estimate that less than 10% of the class received a 4.0, probably much less than that).

If I were you, I would find a job related to healthcare or just go travel and do something you want to do. If your havig mcat trouble, take a course, give yourself 3-6 months to study and nail the score you want. This program won't help you with your mcat score besides maybe bio. But that's an expensive way to do well on one subject area.

Also take everything I say with a grain of salt. I loved my time at BU and I ended with a 4.0. I had a little bit lower gpa than average so MAMS helped me tremendously.

I don't think you need this program at all IMO.

Don't take what he says with a grain of salt. This is not a subjective question. This is clear-cut. Do NOT do an SMP with a 3.7.

I am a graduate of the program, started in 2010 and finished in 2012. Only 4 people out of almost 200 got a 4.0. I do echo your statement though, the guy that you quoted should retake the MCAT and NOT do the MAMS program.

Good luck to those applying.

If I my application for this program is completed the last week of February is that too late?

If I my application for this program is completed the last week of February is that too late?

Nah. People submit in may and still get in. That said, an earlier app probably helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found out about SMPs really late, applied end of May, and got in early June. At that point BU wasn't my top choice but after visiting I changed my mind, and glad I did so.

I've been considering applying for the MAMS program (not for this coming year, but the next) because of a low-ish GPA at 3.35. Just a few questions I had:

1) The average class sizes in my undergrad physics courses were ~8. After becoming accustomed to the small class sizes, I'm a little intimidated by the 180-200 class sizes that I see. Would you say that the large class size is detrimental at all?

2) Do many of the students in the MAMS program go on to med school at BU?

3) Which would you recommend: the 1 year or 2 year version of the program?

I went to a small UG school, you get used to the large classes. You just have to make more of an effort to get to know your professors.

BU doesn't have a formal linkage to the MAMS program but its graduates are considered in a different pool from the other applicants.

One year vs. two is really depended on your personal situation. I would contact the program director, Dr. Offner. She can help you decide, and really knows her stuff.

Hi, great to hear that someone has gone through this program! I have a cGPA 3.4 and sGPA 3.3 (performed badly in most of my pre-req science courses but really well in upper-level bio courses). And I'm really interested in the BU MAMS program, what are my chances of getting in if I don't get my first MCAT score until end of April (expected scored around 33)?

My name is Al, I'm a second year in the program and part of the Graduate Medical Sciences Student Organization's MAMS Subcommittee. I can try to answer some of these questions based on my experience in the program.

1) The average class sizes in my undergrad physics courses were ~8. After becoming accustomed to the small class sizes, I'm a little intimidated by the 180-200 class sizes that I see. Would you say that the large class size is detrimental at all?

The lectures vary in size, usually 130-180 people. However, this has not historically been an issue for past MAMS students. Core courses such as Cellular Organization of Tissues and Physiology break up into smaller weekly discussions of around 20 people, where professors can clarify lecture concepts and answer questions in a more intimate setting. Between the professors (who all have open door policies), the TA's, tutors, and your peers, there is never a shortage of resources for you to fully understand the class material.

2) Do many of the students in the MAMS program go on to med school at BU?

The number of students who continue to BUSM vary per year, and it varies based on students' performance. The more successful you are in the program and the more you show your dedication and passion for medicine, the more likely you will be to gain a medical school seat anywhere in the country, including BU.

I've been considering applying for the MAMS program (not for this coming year, but the next) because of a low-ish GPA at 3.35. Just a few questions I had:

3) Which would you recommend: the 1 year or 2 year version of the program?

Most students spend the first year with the graduate coursework, take the MCAT and apply the following summer, and spend that one year "waiting" time researching/working on a thesis (you can also pursue a dual degree). Advantages for this chronology include 1) this program does a great job showing medical schools that you understand and can handle the academic rigor required to be successful (which means it may be in your best interest to have some course grades before applying), 2) that additional year can be a fantastic opportunity to gain valuable research (and other) experience, 3) once you've taken the coursework and understand the critical thinking involved with this material, you're much more prepared to get a great MCAT score, and 4) the advisors in this program can work with you over the spring/summer to really strengthen the appearance of your AMCAS application and personal statement. That being said, there are students in each class who spend one year in the program and go straight to medical school after the following summer. If you are contemplating either the one or two year option and would like some further clarification, Dr. Offner (the MAMS program director, mentioned in an earlier post) is a fantastic resource who will be happy to sit down and discuss your concerns ([email protected]). She is also the best person to ask if you are wondering about your specific credentials to get into the MAMS program, and if this program would be a good fit for you.

Hope these answers help!
Al

Hey, 3.7 cGPA here applying. Some of you say someone with a 3.7 SHOULD NOT apply, but I recently just took economics and business this past year and am extremely interested in pursuing a MBA. Do you think doing a MAMS/MBA at BU is a bad idea?

Can someone who is in the program comment if someone doing a MAMS/MBA will still have time to do other extra-curricular such as research/volunteer? how difficult is it to get a 3.6+ gpa? 3.8?

thank you

Why dont you do a MD/MBA? BU is one of the schools that offer that pathway.
http://mdmbaprograms.com/5.html Seems like there are lots of others. Looks to me like you would waste a year of tuition on doing the MAMS which will have a high chance of hurting you than helping you.

The MBA portion of the MBA/MD program at BU is 1 year after your third year as a med student. Not sure about others. Look more into it.

Hey, 3.7 cGPA here applying. Some of you say someone with a 3.7 SHOULD NOT apply, but I recently just took economics and business this past year and am extremely interested in pursuing a MBA. Do you think doing a MAMS/MBA at BU is a bad idea?

Can someone who is in the program comment if someone doing a MAMS/MBA will still have time to do other extra-curricular such as research/volunteer? how difficult is it to get a 3.6+ gpa? 3.8?

thank you

I meant my above post for you... Didn't quote it correctly :(

Why dont you do a MD/MBA? BU is one of the schools that offer that pathway.
http://mdmbaprograms.com/5.html Seems like there are lots of others. Looks to me like you would waste a year of tuition on doing the MAMS which will have a high chance of hurting you than helping you.

The MBA portion of the MBA/MD program at BU is 1 year after your third year as a med student. Not sure about others. Look more into it.

I do not believe I am a competitive applicant for MD. I have the numbers, 3.7, 31Q, but I basically have 0 extra-curricular to support my application. My reasoning is to improve my application through extra-curricular and pursing a graduate degree at the same time.

I definitely see your point brew, just trying to get as much perspective as possible. Thanks!

I do not believe I am a competitive applicant for MD. I have the numbers, 3.7, 31Q, but I basically have 0 extra-curricular to support my application. My reasoning is to improve my application through extra-curricular and pursing a graduate degree at the same time.

I definitely see your point brew, just trying to get as much perspective as possible. Thanks!

If your looking to do extracurriculars this program is not for you. During the second semester you might have time. But not the first. Plus it is very hard to get a 3.8 or better. With a 3.7 gpa, you have everything to lose and very very little to gain from this program.

Just received my acceptance today! Now comes the difficult part; I've been accepted here and at Cincinnati and have to make a decision in the next few weeks while still waiting to hear from others.

Just received my acceptance today! Now comes the difficult part; I've been accepted here and at Cincinnati and have to make a decision in the next few weeks while still waiting to hear from others.

When was your application complete and if you don't mind, please share your stats

I know I was looking for this when I was applying so here goes:

STATS (Strong GPA first and second year. Huge downward jump after that - obvious that something happened, which I explained in my personal statement)
sGPA: 3.02
cGPA: 3.20
MCAT: 28R

EC
Lot's of work and volunteer experience

Application Completed: 02.10.13
Accepted: 02.20.13

When I applied two years ago I had a 3.3 cgpa and 3.4 sgpa. 34S mcat. Lots of activities research and volunteering

Hope that helps.

I know I was looking for this when I was applying so here goes:

STATS (Strong GPA first and second year. Huge downward jump after that - obvious that something happened, which I explained in my personal statement)
sGPA: 3.02
cGPA: 3.20
MCAT: 28R

EC
Lot's of work and volunteer experience

Application Completed: 02.10.13
Accepted: 02.20.13

Congratulations on your acceptance!
I applied with the following stats:
cGPA: 3.24
sGPA:3.19
MCAT: 31O

EC:
Solid reasearch(2 publications and 2 submitted-none first author though)
Graduated in 2011 and have been involved in translational research for the last 2 years.
Decent volunteer and clinical experience
Solid leadership experience

I was wondering if someone could comment on my competitiveness.

I submitted 2/22
I hope I hear back soon

Hey guys - just curious, did any of you get an email that confirmed your application's completion? I believe I have everything in, but I can't tell if they received my official transcript and my official MCAT score. Should I be waiting for an official email? Thanks!

Hey guys - just curious, did any of you get an email that confirmed your application's completion? I believe I have everything in, but I can't tell if they received my official transcript and my official MCAT score. Should I be waiting for an official email? Thanks!

I would call Natasha Hall and check with her

Just got my acceptance email. Really excited to have a SMP acceptance in my pocket.

Just got my acceptance email. Really excited to have a SMP acceptance in my pocket.

Do you mind sharing you stats? When was your application submitted and completed?

Do you mind sharing you stats? When was your application submitted and completed?
Confirmed complete on January 31st and accepted February 25th.

cGPA is around 3.16 and below a 3.10 science gpa
31 Q MCAT (10/10/11)

3.7+ GPA in last 60 semester units at a UC doing upper division biochem, neuroscience, and chemistry for a Chemistry degree. All of my bad grades were at community college before transferring.
ECs: 1 year of dedicated research, 140+ hours of volunteering with some shadowing

The process of getting LOR's for SMP's has me absolutely dumbfounded. I'm attempting to collect them as paper copies at the pre-professional office at my undergrad institution but almost every SMP program wants LOR's sent directly from the recommender via e-mail. Can LOR's I send to MAMS electronically be used again for medical school or even other SMP's? I'm curious as to how you all did it.

The process of getting LOR's for SMP's has me absolutely dumbfounded. I'm attempting to collect them as paper copies at the pre-professional office at my undergrad institution but almost every SMP program wants LOR's sent directly from the recommender via e-mail. Can LOR's I send to MAMS electronically be used again for medical school or even other SMP's? I'm curious as to how you all did it.

I applied to BU for MD admissions and MAMS program grabbed my recommendations from my MD file. MAMS accepts committee letters from your preprof office. You should be fine. You can find more info about it in the FAQs on the MAMS website.

I'm using interfolio to save me all that trouble. get my letters once, send them whereever, whenever as many times as I want.

I'm in the process of applying to the 2013-2014 BU MAMS, and I was just wondering if anyone has been accepted or knows of anyone who has been accepted with just GRE scores instead of MCAT? I'm taking the MCAT this summer, but using my GRE scores for this program.. Any info would help, thanks!

I'm in the process of applying to the 2013-2014 BU MAMS, and I was just wondering if anyone has been accepted or knows of anyone who has been accepted with just GRE scores instead of MCAT? I'm taking the MCAT this summer, but using my GRE scores for this program.. Any info would help, thanks!

I was just accepted to the program and I have not taken the MCAT. Only my GRE scores were submitted with my application.

I was just accepted to the program and I have not taken the MCAT. Only my GRE scores were submitted with my application.

stats please :)
Also, when was your application complete?

Hi,

Im sending my application off by the end of the week, but Im very concerned. I have a 25 mcat and 3.2 sGPA. I was wondering if there is any hope in me getting accepted into the program?

The impression I get is that everyone has a 30 (or at least high 20s) mcat score :scared:

stats please :)
Also, when was your application complete?

cGPA 3.2
sGPA 3.0
GRE 163V 155Q 4A

My application was completed Jan 15 (though transcripts might have been received later) and accepted Feb 21

Received my acceptance today!

Stats:

28Q MCAT
3.428 cGPA
Complete 2/9/13

Trying to decide between BU, Tufts and Georgetown currently. BU and Tufts don't give you long to make a decision - so I suggest that if you're applying, definitely be sure of which school you have a preference for! :)

Received my acceptance today!

Stats:

28Q MCAT
3.428 cGPA
Complete 2/9/13

Trying to decide between BU, Tufts and Georgetown currently. BU and Tufts don't give you long to make a decision - so I suggest that if you're applying, definitely be sure of which school you have a preference for! :)

Congrats on your acceptance!

I have applied to BU and EVMS (linkage program). I hope I get into at least one of the two programs. BU program is great. You will need to put in hard work but hey-this is a second chance to improve stats to get into medical school. No longer undergrad and not much room to mess up.

EVMS is a small program but based on what admissions staff mentioned- most students get interviews from EVMS as long as they have B average or higher in the program. They only accept student who they believe will do well in medical school.

Hey guys, I was accepted MAMS for this upcoming year and have been contemplating attending this program or an SMP with higher linkage such as the one at Rosalind Franklin or Cincinnati. Any advice for my predicament? The linkage programs usually end up taking about 70% of their SMP class into their med school immediately after completion of the smp (no gap). But the downside is that you really only have a shot at those schools...where as for MAMS I feel that although you take another year you have a better shot at other medical schools.

Just got accepted last week (complete 2/3, accepted after ~4 weeks waiting). Maybe I'm blind, but when exactly does this program start? I found "in the fall," but didn't seem to find an exact date.

Congrats to all those who got accepted, and good luck to the hopefuls. Natasha was very friendly and accommodating in checking application statuses.

Stats:
s/cGPA ~2.85
MCAT 32R

Just got accepted last week (complete 2/3, accepted after ~4 weeks waiting). Maybe I'm blind, but when exactly does this program start? I found "in the fall," but didn't seem to find an exact date.

Congrats to all those who got accepted, and good luck to the hopefuls. Natasha was very friendly and accommodating in checking application statuses.

Stats:
s/cGPA ~2.85
MCAT 32R

but with your stats, don't you think you will need to bring up your uGPA to 3.0 before applying to medical school? Most schools have a minimum uGPA requirement which is typically 3.0

but with your stats, don't you think you will need to bring up your uGPA to 3.0 before applying to medical school? Most schools have a minimum uGPA requirement which is typically 3.0

Untrue. You can get into US MD and DO schools with a sub-three. Its not optimal, but an upward trend will help. You also might need to retake the mcat...

The only students I know accepted to MD schools with a sub-3.0 gpa had like a 4.0 SMP and 36+ mcat