Boston University MAMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all, ancient poster here. You will see my posts from the old threads and I'd still recommend giving that a read for anyone who is curious - many questions have been answered and most things are accurate up till this date. A little bit about me: I entered MAMS in '09, graduated '11, entered BU School of Medicine '11 (class of 2015) and I just matched into my first choice in internal medicine a few days ago. For those who think it's a long way to go, it really is not. I still remember the first day I stepped into BUSM as a MAMS student more vividly than any other event following that (including the white coat ceremony!) If you have any questions feel free to ask me in PM or here!

Here is the curriculum your first year: http://www.bumc.bu.edu/gms/gateway/...medical-sciences/curriculum/sample-curricula/

Your first semester will be Biochemistry/Physiology/Cellular Organization (Histology)

I'll be honest and say that I am out of date in terms of the current day to day structure & I'm sure someone else can chime in. I'm not familiar with the undergraduate schedule however BUSM follows their own set of academic calendars students and does not necessarily match with the undergrads. You have 5 days worth of classes, and each credit roughly translates to 1 hour of class/week. Biochem (6) + Physio (4) + Cell Org/Histology (4) = 14 hours of class per week so about 3 hours per day on average with some additional hours for discussion and labs.

Hi,

I was wondering if you can explain to me how difficult the course load was and whether or not you had to retake the MCAT to gain acceptance into BUSM. while being a student in the MAMS program, did you feel supported by the faculty? Did you fell as if, as long as you put in the effort and work hard you did well in the program? do the MAMS students take courses with the med school students? I recently was accepted into the MAMS program and I am really happy/excited about it. However I am now debating between this program and the DPMS program. I would really love to not retake the MCAT. I don't know if you now much about the Drexel program however I would if you can give me some advice about which way to go. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just accepted today! Crazy fast turn around time, I just applied on April 9! So hearing back in 5 days was a huge surprise and relief. I'll be going to BU for sure! Does anyone know if there is a Facebook page for the class of 2016?

Congrats! I was accepted as well!

I have a few questions about the program. I was accepted a few weeks ago.

I know the deadline for the deposit is approaching, but I was wondering if by sending this deposit I am committing myself to this program. I am currently on 3 MD waitlists. I love what bu MAMS offers, but if I get into an md school off the wait list, that would obviously be my first choice. What is the latest I can withdraw?

Secondly I was wondering if anybody has had experience doing the program in one year. I would like to apply for the next cycle if possible. I need to be back in school. It's been a couple of years and I miss learning. lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I just decided to apply to the MAMS program for Fall 2015, and was wondering what the typical turn around time is for hearing back on a decision? Also, does anyone know how supportive they are about helping students apply to med schools in the area afterwards (Tufts, Harvard, etc.)? I know they do encourage applicants to apply to BUSM, but was wondering if they offer advisory for students applying to other schools just as readily. Also, does this program have any type of MCAT prep built into it for those of us who are looking to retake in the future?
Sorry for the delay. As far as turn around time I am not positive. As a student who is graduating from MAMS this year, the faculty advisors are helpful with the medical school application overall. It is not just BUSM focused. Also, the program offers a course after the first year, which is offered through the Princeton Review and it is a special program just for MAMS students. You do have to pay for it, but I took it and found it very helpful. They have two great teachers who go through physical sciences and organic chemistry as well as test strategies. I believe this year they are adding content for sociology and psychology as well. In addition to this course, many of the courses you take throughout the first year in MAMS contain most of the content you need to know for the biological science part of the MCAT and it made this section much easier to take.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, first time poster.

So I was just accepted to the MAMS/Clinical Investigation dual degree program, completed my application 3/22.

3.38 cGPA / 3.18 sGPA / 32 MCAT
Extensive shadowing, research, and volunteering

Is there anybody who has gone through this program and is willing to speak to how useful the clinical investigation degree is and how much more difficult it made the MAMS program? I'm debating dropping the dual program and simply pursuing the MAMS. Assuming I don't get accepted to Temple's ACMS program I will definitely be attending Boston University.

Congrats! I was accepted as well!

Congrats! Sorry I can't speak much to the DPMS program, but I have heard many great things about MAMS. I believe MAMS students don't take classes with the medical students, but some of the courses are the exact same, and those are denoted on the curriculum tab on the MAMS website. Also, I think as far as BUSM admissions, they would still want you to have at least a 31-32 (or the equivalent on the new mcat) even if you do well in MAMS (3.6 GPA and above). However, I think getting to know the professors really well, participating in research, etc can have a very positive impact on medical apps in general if your mcat is not as strong. With that being said, I believe that a 3.8-4.0 in MAMS is solid enough that if your mcat is slightly lower, you still have a good chance at an interview.

Hi everyone, first-time poster here! I was recently accepted to BU and I'm so excited! I was wondering what everyone was doing for housing. I'm currently in NC and will be moving up to Boston over the summer, and I'm completely unfamiliar with the city. How are people finding apartments/roommates/etc.? Thanks!!!

Also, couldn't find a FB page for BUMAMS. Does anyone know of an existing page?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, first-time poster here! I was recently accepted to BU and I'm so excited! I was wondering what everyone was doing for housing. I'm currently in NC and will be moving up to Boston over the summer, and I'm completely unfamiliar with the city. How are people finding apartments/roommates/etc.? Thanks!!!

Also, couldn't find a FB page for BUMAMS. Does anyone know of an existing page?

Congrats! So the best options for housing are 1) call the BU Graduate Housing Resources office and make an appointment with them. Starting in May, they will be making appointments with graduate students and showing them around to various locations in Boston and you can write a check and lease on the spot and you'll be set for the year. Option 2) on Facebook there is a Boston area student housing group that you can join where a bunch of students post looking for room mates and it's cool because you could live with someone who goes to another school but the location is still convenient. And 3) apply for housing at 580 commonwealth ave which is the BU graduate housing apartment building. It has limited spaces so I would recommend applying online for an apartment asap. However even if you apply you aren't guaranteed a spot and the cheapest option there is around $1400 a month. If you're looking to live alone, you might want to call the housing office and they could show you cheaper alternatives. You would have to make a trip up to Boston at least once before you move for good though. Good luck!!

Is anyone in this thread going to be doing this program in one year rather than in two years?

Hey Everyone,

I am currently looking for apartments in the Boston area near BUSM. I have one prospective roommate and I am willing to add an additional one if any of the ladies accepted to the program is interested. The areas I am currently looking into are Allston, Brighton, and South End. I would prefer to not to be too much further from the school however if anyone has any additional suggestions for good areas to live in, please feel free to inform me. Looking forward to meeting those who attend BU MAMS in the fall!

Just got my acceptance email! :) I was complete 3/3/2015 so it was a bit of a wait for me. But I'm ecstatic!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told about a week ago that I was on hold and I was complete March 11, hoping to hear back soon. But congrats!

I was told about a week ago that I was on hold and I was complete March 11, hoping to hear back soon. But congrats!
Thank you! Hang in there! Being on hold/waitlist is such an annoying position to be in

Hi everyone, I was just accepted today- honestly shocked. I'm very excited and will definitely be attending this program. I can't wait!

I just found out about the program today and submitted my application. I'm really concerned I'm not going to be competitive enough looking at everyone's stats :(. It's not too late at this point is it?

My cGPA is 3.2, sGPA 3.0, MCAT 25 (took it twice got an 7ps,10vr,8bs first time, then an 8ps, 8vr, 9bs second time).

I just found out about the program today and submitted my application. I'm really concerned I'm not going to be competitive enough looking at everyone's stats :(. It's not too late at this point is it?

My cGPA is 3.2, sGPA 3.0, MCAT 25 (took it twice got an 7ps,10vr,8bs first time, then an 8ps, 8vr, 9bs second time).

I got accepted last week with a cGPA of 3.1 and MCAT of 28, so you're not far off the mark.

I just got an e-mail confirmation that BU received my deposit! Is anyone in the same boat, and does anyone know when we should be hearing anything about logging into a student portal to look at a class schedule, adding a concentration to the MS degree, or just general information about an orientation or anything?

I got accepted last week with a cGPA of 3.1 and MCAT of 28, so you're not far off the mark.

I was accepted earlier this month, with cGPA 3.0 sGPA 3.22 MCAT 24. SO I think you're in good standing especially if you have a great personal statement, LORs, and Resume.

Thanks for that! You guys make me feel a whole lot better and congrats on your acceptances!

Hi!

I was accepted to the MAMS program as well. I really want to finish the program in a year because I will be applying to medical school this cycle. I was wondering if anyone current/past MAMS students who completed in a year can offer any advice.

Thanks!

Hi!

I was accepted to the MAMS program as well. I really want to finish the program in a year because I will be applying to medical school this cycle. I was wondering if anyone current/past MAMS students who completed in a year can offer any advice.

Thanks!
I also am hoping to finish this program in a year! Any advice would be appreciated!!

If I choose to do this program, I will be doing it over a year as well. I was accepted in March with a 3.65 gpa, and a 33 mcat. Already put in my deposit just to make sure I have something to do next year. Was wondering if anybody has previously done the program in one year and could discuss how it was, if there was time for volunteering or research, and what steps need to be taken through the office if I plan on applying to med school for this next cycle before I start the program. As previously stated, i already applied to md schools this cycle and am on a few waitlists so I really have NO idea what my next year is looking like.

What is the average GPA for graduates of this program? Do students generally get A in their exams?

If I choose to do this program, I will be doing it over a year as well. I was accepted in March with a 3.65 gpa, and a 33 mcat. Already put in my deposit just to make sure I have something to do next year. Was wondering if anybody has previously done the program in one year and could discuss how it was, if there was time for volunteering or research, and what steps need to be taken through the office if I plan on applying to med school for this next cycle before I start the program. As previously stated, i already applied to md schools this cycle and am on a few waitlists so I really have NO idea what my next year is looking like.

If you were able to get MD interviews and already reside on waitlists, this program might not be the best idea for you. Your GPA and MCAT are already competitive for medical schools. They advise you to avoid doing any extracurricular activities during your first semester of BU MAMS because the workload is very heavy. I would definitely heed their advice for the first semester because if you pay so much tuition for a better GPA, don't sacrifice a high GPA for a few hours of research or volunteering. Plus, you will want your free time for yourself to sleep and stay sane. However, with that being said, if you manage to perform well during your first semester, I would definitely continue clinical work/volunteering during your second semester and take a lighter class load. Medical schools don't like a blank slate for an entire year - they like to see your continued dedication and interest in medicine outside of school.

A small number of people try to finish this program in one year, but their chances of gaining an acceptance is significantly reduced (in my opinion) purely due to the timeline of med school applications. Med schools won't receive your first semester grades until the end of December/beginning of January. Which means they might not offer you an interview until half the interview season is already over. In addition, dealing with traveling for interviews in the fall and balancing school work could hurt your grades. I know a lot of people who tried to finish the program in one year and were not successful, but each person obviously has unique situations... Feel free to PM me for more information!

What is the average GPA for graduates of this program? Do students generally get A in their exams?

I doubt anyone would release this information... It seems the general consensus in this program is that it is not easy to get an A. There are a handful of people who finish this program with 4.0's, but it seems more common for students to get around 3.5 (B range). These are medical school courses and they are definitely challenging - but totally doable. You have to stay organized and on top of the material. Study groups help a lot too. I had classmates from Harvard, Hopkins, Stanford, Cornell, Penn, etc. who really struggled with doing well. But people from large state schools seemed to succeed better for whatever reason (personal observations, keep in mind small sample size). Just be prepared to work hard and don't take anything for granted! I do think the program offers great academic support (tutors, advisors), and they really spoon feed you and give you step by step directions to succeed in some of their courses. They make everything as easy as possible for you to do well. It's just up to you to study and do the work.

Hey! Can any previous students talk about what the class schedule is like? (How many days/week and hours/day we will be in class?)

Hey! Can any previous students talk about what the class schedule is like? (How many days/week and hours/day we will be in class?)
In the first semester you will be taking three classes, which are biochemistry, physiology, and a histology course called COT. Biochemistry meets four days a week, 3 of these meetings are two sessions, 50 minutes each, with a break in between. For physiology, there are 3 class meetings a week. 2 of these meetings are lectures, which normally are about 1 hr and 20 minutes. The third meeting is a discussion where the class breaks up into smaller groups and discusses the current material in clinical cases. For COT there are two lectures, which are 1 hr and 20 minutes. Then there are 2 lab meetings, where the class is spit into groups of four and these groups look at slides on a computer program that you download on your laptop. Monday is usually the day where you have all three classes and you get out the latest. The rest of the week you have two classes a day, the first one being at 10 AM and you generally are done by 2 PM.

Reactions: 2 users
Hmm... My application must be on hold... I was finished in February and haven't heard back!

Has anyone had their request granted to join the Facebook group? I deposited a few weeks ago and sent a request but haven't been added yet.

In the first semester you will be taking three classes, which are biochemistry, physiology, and a histology course called COT. Biochemistry meets four days a week, 3 of these meetings are two sessions, 50 minutes each, with a break in between. For physiology, there are 3 class meetings a week. 2 of these meetings are lectures, which normally are about 1 hr and 20 minutes. The third meeting is a discussion where the class breaks up into smaller groups and discusses the current material in clinical cases. For COT there are two lectures, which are 1 hr and 20 minutes. Then there are 2 lab meetings, where the class is spit into groups of four and these groups look at slides on a computer program that you download on your laptop. Monday is usually the day where you have all three classes and you get out the latest. The rest of the week you have two classes a day, the first one being at 10 AM and you generally are done by 2 PM.

Thanks! That's really helpful to know. So, just to clarify, there aren't any weekdays that we don't have class?

Also, do you have any study tips for organizing the course content? It seems like we will have a lot of free time on weekdays around class times...do you recommend setting a study schedule? And would you say that recording the lectures to listen back later will help? Also, how often are the exams?

EDIT: this may have been asked before, but is there time to work one day every week? I have a job currently that is transferable to a hospital in Boston, but I want to get some advice on how feasible that is. I really just want to be able to work 1-2 days every week if possible.

Thanks! That's really helpful to know. So, just to clarify, there aren't any weekdays that we don't have class?

Also, do you have any study tips for organizing the course content? It seems like we will have a lot of free time on weekdays around class times...do you recommend setting a study schedule? And would you say that recording the lectures to listen back later will help? Also, how often are the exams?

EDIT: this may have been asked before, but is there time to work one day every week? I have a job currently that is transferable to a hospital in Boston, but I want to get some advice on how feasible that is. I really just want to be able to work 1-2 days every week if possible.

Yes, each day you will have at least one class.

At the beginning of the year you will get a study tips packet. This packet is filled with tips from second year students on how they studied for each course. This allows you to try new things and find what works best for you. I found it useful to make a schedule. Also, the classes are recorded so you can watch them online. Exams are every few weeks. Biochemistry and physiology have three exams and quizzes in between exams. COT has a midterm and a final, with quizzes almost every week.

Lastly, it is not recommended to have a job during the first semester. These classes cover a great amount of material and it will be difficult to balance a job and your coursework. It is more important to focus solely on coursework during the first semester. The second semester is a little bit lighter and during this semester people often find part time jobs or volunteer positions if they want to.

Yes, each day you will have at least one class.

At the beginning of the year you will get a study tips packet. This packet is filled with tips from second year students on how they studied for each course. This allows you to try new things and find what works best for you. I found it useful to make a schedule. Also, the classes are recorded so you can watch them online. Exams are every few weeks. Biochemistry and physiology have three exams and quizzes in between exams. COT has a midterm and a final, with quizzes almost every week.

Lastly, it is not recommended to have a job during the first semester. These classes cover a great amount of material and it will be difficult to balance a job and your coursework. It is more important to focus solely on coursework during the first semester. The second semester is a little bit lighter and during this semester people often find part time jobs or volunteer positions if they want to.

Hi jm14,

Is the second semester light enough to start studying for the MCAT? I got a 31 and then a 29 on the old one and I've been told my adcoms that I should consider retaking. I know Tufts offers a MCAT class does BU also offer a MCAT course/do you know anyone who studied for the MCAT during the second semester? I want to retake early in the summer so that I can turn in my app early.

Hi jm14,

Is the second semester light enough to start studying for the MCAT? I got a 31 and then a 29 on the old one and I've been told my adcoms that I should consider retaking. I know Tufts offers a MCAT class does BU also offer a MCAT course/do you know anyone who studied for the MCAT during the second semester? I want to retake early in the summer so that I can turn in my app early.

It really depends on what courses you decide to take in the Spring, which you will learn more about during the first semester. I did have some time to start on verbal, but I didn't focus too much on the MCAT because I didn't want it to distract me from my classes. You can certainly make a light schedule to study. Furthermore, people who are applying after the first year take the MCAT in mid/late June and there is a course that the Princeton Review offers for MAMS students after the spring semester. This course covers orgo and physical sciences as well as test strategy. I believe they are adding psychology and sociology to this course as well.

Anybody know how to withdraw? (Email, phone call, etc)

Already sent in the deposit, but got accepted into a U.S. md school today and will obviously be attending there instead. :)

Reactions: 3 users

Already sent in the deposit, but got accepted into a U.S. md school today and will obviously be attending there instead. :)

Congrats on your acceptance into Medical School! Must be an amazing feeling! I wish you the best of luck!

I withdrew last year and just resubmitted the decision response form. I think an email would work too. Oh and congratulations! Your premed journey is finally over :)

I'm still waiting on a reference letter to submit my application!!! Does anyone know if I'm too late!?

I'm still waiting on a reference letter to submit my application!!! Does anyone know if I'm too late!?
No I don't think so. From what I know a lot of applicants turn in their application near the deadline.

You're definitely not too late. I submitted my application like June 1st and got in a few days later. Hang in there! -- I meant to quote SSerenity, but it didn't work haha.

I just finished the first year of this program, so if anyone has questions about the courses, housing, etc feel free to send me a PM.

I was accepted earlier this month, with cGPA 3.0 sGPA 3.22 MCAT 24. SO I think you're in good standing especially if you have a great personal statement, LORs, and Resume.
this gives me so much hope :) thank you!

Does anyone know if MAMS allows us to submit our MCAT score electronically via the THX system? I sent mine in like that, but my application instructs me to mail a paper copy. Does anyone know if the electronic version is ok too? I can not for the life of me get anyone on the phone at BU =s

Does anyone know if MAMS allows us to submit our MCAT score electronically via the THX system? I sent mine in like that, but my application instructs me to mail a paper copy. Does anyone know if the electronic version is ok too? I can not for the life of me get anyone on the phone at BU =s

I emailed my score report and that was fine (it has your verification # on it)

I'm applying this weekend. stats: 3.0 and 17, do you think I will get in?