Boston University MAMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! I was recently accepted into the program and couldn't be more excited about starting in the fall! I was wonder if there was a Facebook group or something where next years class can get in touch with each other about housing and other general stuff! Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

For the FB group, do we have to be invited to the group or can we request to join? I'm super anxious to just figure out housing and not have to think about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For the FB group, do we have to be invited to the group or can we request to join? I'm super anxious to just figure out housing and not have to think about it.
I think you need to be invited once you get accepted and pay the deposit.

Based on the Facebook page, there are already about 66 people in the program... considering there is still the end of May, June, and July, what are the chances of getting in with a GPA 3.0 gpa and 24 MCAT? This waiting game is stressing me out :'(

for thos of you who are in the MAMS or any other masters, during the year, when do you take the MCAT? after a semester of grad work? so december? so tthats implying your going to wait another year ?

Just accepted! Applied May 19; really fast turnaround.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just accepted! Applied May 19; really fast turnaround.
Congrats!!! Did you just find out today?

I just submitted my application minutes ago! Now I can't sleep.

Im going in with 3.257 Cumulative and 3.34 sGPA MCAT: 30,33 & 10 publications.
I hope this works =0

Yeah, found out yesterday! I badgered them a bit, which may have helped in the two day decision.

I don't think you have much to worry about; I think you could have a fighting shot at some med schools with those stats and ECs.

Hi everyone! Is anyone still looking for housing? I'm currently looking for roommates to share a 2beds or 3 beds apartment in south end close to BUMC. please message me if interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any Canadian applicants here? I'm still waiting on a couple of reference letters so I hope I'm not too late to apply. Going in with 3.0 cGPA, 2.7 sGPA (ugh), and 29 MCAT

Any Canadian applicants here? I'm still waiting on a couple of reference letters so I hope I'm not too late to apply. Going in with 3.0 cGPA, 2.7 sGPA (ugh), and 29 MCAT

Hey I'm applying from Alberta! Welcome =)
My last reference letter was just submitted today, although I submitted my application a few days ago. I think you still have time. Im still waiting on a reply, its driving me mad!
Good luck, hope to see you on campus!

Boston Pizza just emailed me, and Ive been accepted!!!! Today was a good day

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations SSerenity!

I had applied on the 27th of May. I have sent in my MCAT score report via email to Lynese last week as well.

Other than the initial confirmation of submission I have not heard back regarding the MCAT scores I have sent or any other application status. I understand there is high volume at this time, but is this normally how it is?

For those planning to do the one year track, while finalizing your AMCAS did you say "no" to providing a transcript for MAMS since you have yet to even start classes? If not, do we say "yes" and then leave coursework blank until we can update with Fall semester grades?

Doesn't look like it :( The Facebook group has been stuck at 100 members since last week.

Everyone knows BU MAMS is, without a doubt, the best special masters program out there. Boston is the medical mecca. (look at nih grants, people.) Anyhow, this program is super hard, transformative, and humbling. You will learn a ton, and it helps fill all holes in your application (vs having people submit their amcas before they go there, where the program is to help them, um).

it is the best special masters program, and will continue to be. let me think of reasons why: 1) the super capable faculty 2) the humility of the faculty 3) super smart medical students 4) chicken and rice 5) bmc being the safety net hospital of the area 6) the character of the city 7) access to so many hospitals. Enough said.. best of luck, this program changed my life in many ways, and not just talking about opportunity, access to opportunity, but more that I'm talking about receiving a true education, a true way to academic excellence to convey superiority in becoming the best physician you can be.

Reactions: 5 users
Everyone knows BU MAMS is, without a doubt, the best special masters program out there. Boston is the medical mecca. (look at nih grants, people.) Anyhow, this program is super hard, transformative, and humbling. You will learn a ton, and it helps fill all holes in your application (vs having people submit their amcas before they go there, where the program is to help them, um).

it is the best special masters program, and will continue to be. let me think of reasons why: 1) the super capable faculty 2) the humility of the faculty 3) super smart medical students 4) chicken and rice 5) bmc being the safety net hospital of the area 6) the character of the city 7) access to so many hospitals. Enough said.. best of luck, this program changed my life in many ways, and not just talking about opportunity, access to opportunity, but more that I'm talking about receiving a true education, a true way to academic excellence to convey superiority in becoming the best physician you can be.

I feel SO good about my decision to attend MAMS after reading your post. I think it's going to completely transform my application! Not to mention that I called up a few MD schools last week, and all of them said that for students who have completed an SMP, the master's grades are weighted more heavily than the MCAT in the decision process. Since I do much better in coursework than on standardized exams, I am hoping this is my foot into medical school!

Doesn't look like it :( The Facebook group has been stuck at 100 members since last week.

I'm not 100% sure that the Facebook group is indicative of the students attending the program/whether they have filled the class. Dr. Offner told me when I met with her last week that the class can be up to 150 students for MAMS. Also, when I was accepted to MAMS, it took them about 2 weeks to add me to the FB group. So don't worry!

For those planning to do the one year track, while finalizing your AMCAS did you say "no" to providing a transcript for MAMS since you have yet to even start classes? If not, do we say "yes" and then leave coursework blank until we can update with Fall semester grades?

Dr. Offner sent an e-mail about this. You should click "no" when they ask if transcripts are required. Then, fill out the three courses that she listed in her email (I think anatomy, histology, and biochem) for the coursework in MAMS Fall semester. I submitted using those directions and it worked out fine.

I'm not 100% sure that the Facebook group is indicative of the students attending the program/whether they have filled the class. Dr. Offner told me when I met with her last week that the class can be up to 150 students for MAMS. Also, when I was accepted to MAMS, it took them about 2 weeks to add me to the FB group. So don't worry!

Oh geeze that's actually even more worrying, knowing there are less than 50 spots left in the program :S I really hope I'll get to know what their decision is by July so I can pin down a place to live/figure out student visas.

I feel SO good about my decision to attend MAMS after reading your post. I think it's going to completely transform my application! Not to mention that I called up a few MD schools last week, and all of them said that for students who have completed an SMP, the master's grades are weighted more heavily than the MCAT in the decision process. Since I do much better in coursework than on standardized exams, I am hoping this is my foot into medical school!

The MCAT is a huge hurdle for everyone.. but I do sincerely believe that if you want to improve your mcat, do this program. This program really teaches you how to study, help develop skills to master multiple choice tests (i humbly believe test taking is an acquired skill) , and understand things on a deep level. Especially with the new test being biochemistry heavy, I honestly think (atleast for the next 10 years, unless they change the mcat again) that people who attend this program are gonna excel in the mcat. Also, physiology and COT (which are now emphasized on both science sections) are taught to a humbling detail from both a content level and a conceptual one. the professors here are outstanding..

It really is a privilege to be a mams student.. Not saying that other programs aren't as good, just saying from my own humble opinion, which i base from my limited life experience and observation.. Keep on working hard my fellow brothers and sisters, if there is a will, there is a way. Fyi, most mams peeps do really well in med school, it is a humbling and transformative experience for sure.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my rejection. I don't know where else to go or what to do next

Oh geeze that's actually even more worrying, knowing there are less than 50 spots left in the program :S I really hope I'll get to know what their decision is by July so I can pin down a place to live/figure out student visas.

Don't judge the open seats by the number of people in a Facebook group. Everyone and their brother can be found in a Facebook group. Admins and second year students were all over my page last year. Not to mention that there are probably several students who have put down a deposit, but may ultimately not matriculate. If there is anyone out there who is thinking "Shucks, it looks like this program is full, it's too late to apply..."--I wouldn't think this way. I don't think I applied until July last year, and I'm no a boy/girl-wonder.

Just got my acceptance! Waiting to hear from one more school, but I'm very excited!

Just got my acceptance! Waiting to hear from one more school, but I'm very excited!

When were you complete? I marked complete 2 days ago because I'm applying with April 2015 mcat scores. I sent in all other parts of my app sometime mid- May

When were you complete? I marked complete 2 days ago because I'm applying with April 2015 mcat scores. I sent in all other parts of my app sometime mid- May

Late May. I hope you hear back soon!

Accepted last friday. Submitted May 27th, completed on Jun 2nd.

Hey everyone, my name is Mike and I'm going to be a second year MAMS student this fall. If anyone has any questions about the program, housing options, or Boston in general feel free to let me know and I'll answer as best as I can! I'm also going to go through the forum to answer past questions and to clarify any questions/concerns about admissions, coursework, MCAT, etc.

Hey everyone, my name is Mike and I'm going to be a second year MAMS student this fall. If anyone has any questions about the program, housing options, or Boston in general feel free to let me know and I'll answer as best as I can! I'm also going to go through the forum to answer past questions and to clarify any questions/concerns about admissions, coursework, MCAT, etc.
How is the housing like? Is the only option the $1500/mo CommonWealth in terms of on campus?
Thank you

When I look at the website only the medical residence and commonwealth have any information. Does that mean the other ones are unvailable?

http://www.bu.edu/rpm/our-neighborhoods/

I have a question, how often do people get off the waitlist?

How is the housing like? Is the only option the $1500/mo CommonWealth in terms of on campus?
Thank you

When I look at the website only the medical residence and commonwealth have any information. Does that mean the other ones are unvailable?

http://www.bu.edu/rpm/our-neighborhoods/
As far as I know, the only official "on-campus" residences are those at the medical residence and the graduate housing on Commonwealth Avenue. However, there are a bunch of apartments available in the neighborhoods around the medical campus like the South End, Back Bay, Fenway, Allston, etc. that make great places to live and are just a short bus/bike-ride to campus.

To get a more comprehensive overview of the options available, you can visit http://www.bumc.bu.edu/ohr/ where there are are apartment listings available to BU students. There's also a link to an FAQ page that can help answer any other questions you have!

I have a question, how often do people get off the waitlist?
Hi Charmoth,
Unfortunately, I do not know the answer to this question and I do not want to lead you astray with a misinformed answer. I would visit this link (http://www.bumc.bu.edu/gms/gateway/prospective/masters-in-medical-sciences/contact-us/) and submit your question there to receive email feedback!

If you do get the chance to speak with someone in the administrative office, I would express to them your genuine interest in pursuing a career in medicine and make it clear why you chose to apply to BU over other post-bacs (i.e. what about this program specifically will help you pursue a career in medicine?). The MAMS program requires a serious amount of time and dedication, so reaching out should help demonstrate your devotion to improving your resume for medical school candidacy.

Good luck!

Thanks for replying, do you or does anyone else know if BU is still emailing waitlist students with different options of starting in the spring, as unofficial student etc.

Just read my emails. Waitlisted as well :(

Did your email read "You have impressive qualifications, but at this point, I regret that we are unable to offer you an acceptance. However, it is possible that seats will become available in the coming month."

Sounds like both a rejection and a waitlist. Wasn't sure which.

Did your email read "You have impressive qualifications, but at this point, I regret that we are unable to offer you an acceptance. However, it is possible that seats will become available in the coming month."

Sounds like both a rejection and a waitlist. Wasn't sure which.

Yes, that's what I got as well. I assume replying to her to confirm your spot on the waitlist will show that you are really interested in the program. I'm going to take BUMAMS2014.6's advice.

What are your plans if you end up not getting in? I think I'm gonna rewrite my MCAT...

I got the same wait list email, but was just accepted. I sent in an email expressing my interest, not sure if it helped.

rejected, i just got rejected. rejected. i just go rejected. anyways I'm form CA. my GPA is poor so i would rathe take classes at a state college to boost my GPA. who needs the snow? but rejected!!!! wooooot! its only a joke cause i had no intention of going to the east coast.

I got the same wait list email, but was just accepted. I sent in an email expressing my interest, not sure if it helped.

Congrats! You'll do great. I was wondering if they gave you a time-frame for when to confirm your spot by?