Boston University MAMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone, my name is Mike and I'm going to be a second year MAMS student this fall. If anyone has any questions about the program, housing options, or Boston in general feel free to let me know and I'll answer as best as I can! I'm also going to go through the forum to answer past questions and to clarify any questions/concerns about admissions, coursework, MCAT, etc.

Random question but do you know how to add the BU MAMS program to your LinkedIn profile? haha I have had some difficulty with this because I don't necessarily want to simply add the medical school to my profile and be slightly misleading.

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone who is in the program already please add me to the facebook group? I paid my deposit last week and my facebook name is not the same as my application name, so I'm afraid that I'd be left out when the admins are searching for people to add.

Random question but do you know how to add the BU MAMS program to your LinkedIn profile? haha I have had some difficulty with this because I don't necessarily want to simply add the medical school to my profile and be slightly misleading.
I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing that, sorry! I don't have a LinkedIn so I'm not too familiar with the user interface.

Members don't see this ad :)
Um has anyone gotten any info from BU. I haven't received anything yet.

Accepted today! I also received the same waitlist email and replied expressing my continued interest in the program. Still waiting to hear from Tufts but heavily considering attending in the fall!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats ivy_doc24! I just got accepted as well :D Best day EVER

Reactions: 1 user
Going to assume that you're the two girls that just posted on the facebook group lol

How is the housing like? Is the only option the $1500/mo CommonWealth in terms of on campus??/

If you choose to go off-campus, let me know if you need suggestions/descriptions of different neighborhoods! I work next to BU and have lived in just about every neighborhood in Boston.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you choose to go off-campus, let me know if you need suggestions/descriptions of different neighborhoods! I work next to BU and have lived in just about every neighborhood in Boston.

What's the average price for a room in an apartment in Back Bay or South End? I'm also seeing a lot of rental listings with living rooms converted into bedrooms and shared bedrooms. Is that a common occurrence in Boston? Also, how is public transit during snowy Boston winters?

What's the average price for a room in an apartment in Back Bay or South End? I'm also seeing a lot of rental listings with living rooms converted into bedrooms and shared bedrooms. Is that a common occurrence in Boston? Also, how is public transit during snowy Boston winters?

It all depends on whether you have roommates or not. Living in a studio in those areas, you'll be paying upwards of $1700, with one roommate probably $1,500 or less, and more roommates, even less. If you're looking for studios or one beds, I've found you can get substantially more for your money in Cambridge than on the other side of the river. You'll pay even less living in Brighton, and you'll be way closer to BU. Allston/Brighton is way less glamorous, but way more convenient and inexpensive. Also note that if you're not planning on a lease starting 9/1, your options are way more limited.

Regarding the converted/shared bedrooms thing, I've only ever seen that on Craigslist and never in real life - personally, I'd avoid it if possible.

And usually, the public transportation is just fine during the winter. This year was a bit of an anomaly - I got too frustrated, and ended up walking the 3 miles to work every day, but the nice thing about Boston is that you can usually do that if you need to. There was one dude I saw who literally skied to work on the banks of the river.

Reactions: 1 users
I was wondering if you haven't taken the mcat when is the best time to take it

Thanks! Maybe what should I do to get a good GPA. Should I focus on classroom materials or textbook, do I even need to use the textbooks or should I buy the "cliff notes" versions for each subject and review slides. Does talking to the profs during office hours help with grades? Are old tests helpful and where can I get them.

Accepted people: has anyone gotten confirmation/posting of their Grad Plus loans on the student link? How long does it usually take?

I've gotten confirmation for just about everything. Loans & classes. Literally submitted all of my loan materials via fax and completed the requirements along with it in one day and within the following week, I received an email stating that I have been approved for what was requested.

I believe the registrar has sent out the schedules for the semester already. For the most part, regardless if you are working towards a dual degree or a singular one, everyone takes the same three courses and the fourth one is different. It seems as if everyone in GMS are in the same core courses with minor variations depending on the track you are on. Or at least this seems as if it were the case when I was deciding whether to do a dual degree track or not.

Hi all

Accepted about 2 weeks ago! If anyone is still looking for a roommate/housing please PM me.

See you guys in September!

was wondering how hard is it to get a tutor?
Tutors are offered free of charge by the school. These tutors are generally second year MAMS students who excelled in the class, so you will be getting high quality assistance from students who have experience taking these classes. For some of the classes, you will have to wait until you receive your first exam grade to request a tutor, but they are very accessible after that point.

Thanks, also curious what are some tips you can give for the newcomers, maybe even class specific tips. We're probably taking the same classes as you, biochem, physiology, cell/tissue for fall.

I've been accepted & I have submitted all my required forms, and I'm really interested in doing this program in one year. How do I specify this? I have not heard anything from them in a while, like required books, class sched, etc. Where can I find this?

Also, I hear there is a FB group. Can someone please PM me the link for this?

Thanks!

Theres nothing you have to do at this point. Once school starts, go talk to the advisers and they will help you. For FB group just search Boston MAMS it should come up.

You can apply as soon as the application opens, you will send in the proof of graduation later.

Congratulations everyone on your acceptances. I'm a rising senior at a public school in CA with a 3.5 cGPA and a 3.2 sGPA. Generally an upward trend in grades. I've also been doing basic science research since freshman year and have 3 publications so far and also do clinical research with no publications but a lot of clinical exposure. Also volunteered at my local hospital and shadowing physicians there. I'll be taking the MCAT this September and think I'd really benefit from doing a SMP. And of course I'm very much interested in the BU MAMS program :D. One thing that I'm confused about is the timeline of the application process. On their website it says that applicants must be "Graduated from a 4 year U.S. or Canadian college/university." So does this mean I can't apply to the program until I graduate from school which will be June of 2016? Won't this put me at a huge disadvantage? I'd really like to start a SMP program at the beginning of my gap year after I graduate. Thanks for all your guidance in advance.
You can apply during your senior year for matriculation in Fall 2016. All the website is saying is that you must have completed a 4 year degree prior to matriculating.

For any BU MAMS alumni that took the full two years: Does the research year entail working full time at a lab/working on your thesis? How common is it to get published during your research year?

For any BU MAMS alumni that took the full two years: Does the research year entail working full time at a lab/working on your thesis? How common is it to get published during your research year?
The amount of time you spend in the lab doing research is entirely up to you and your PI. As long as you are making progress on your thesis and meet all of the required deadlines, you can work as much or as little as you want. However, I would not just assume that you can show up for an hour or two each day and then leave--this is something you should discuss with your PI before starting in the lab.

I don't know the exact statistics regarding students getting published, but it is not unheard of for students to get publications during this year.

The amount of time you spend in the lab doing research is entirely up to you and your PI. As long as you are making progress on your thesis and meet all of the required deadlines, you can work as much or as little as you want. However, I would not just assume that you can show up for an hour or two each day and then leave--this is something you should discuss with your PI before starting in the lab.

I don't know the exact statistics regarding students getting published, but it is not unheard of for students to get publications during this year.

Awesome, thanks for taking the time to answer. Could you also say whether students try and contact PI's throughout the first year, or does the BU MAMS help get students sorted into research labs after the first SMP year?

Awesome, thanks for taking the time to answer. Could you also say whether students try and contact PI's throughout the first year, or does the BU MAMS help get students sorted into research labs after the first SMP year?
Beginning second semester, students will be alerted of openings/opportunities in labs around the greater Boston area. There are a huge variety of positions at a number of hospitals/universities in Boston, so students generally have the ability to investigate the projects that are most interesting to them. If you are looking for opportunities outside of Boston (i.e. back home, at your undergrad campus, etc.), I would start to get in touch with PIs around the same time.

@BUMAMS2014.6

Has anyone gotten a job during the program? I know first semester is difficult but from January on are there paid research or job opportunities that students take?

Also, how have the same year applications (applying before entering te program) been for your class?

@BUMAMS2014.6

Has anyone gotten a job during the program? I know first semester is difficult but from January on are there paid research or job opportunities that students take?

Also, how have the same year applications (applying before entering te program) been for your class?
People generally do not get a job during the program, even during the second semester. Yes, second semester is less stressful than the first, but there is still hardly enough time to take on a paid research position on the side. Most people will volunteer or shadow during the second semester, but usually for no more than 3-5 hrs per week.

As for first year applications, I do not know enough about the success rate to give you an accurate answer. People do apply prior to the program, but I do not know how frequently their cycles are successful.

People generally do not get a job during the program, even during the second semester. Yes, second semester is less stressful than the first, but there is still hardly enough time to take on a paid research position on the side. Most people will volunteer or shadow during the second semester, but usually for no more than 3-5 hrs per week.

As for first year applications, I do not know enough about the success rate to give you an accurate answer. People do apply prior to the program, but I do not know how frequently their cycles are successful.
Thank you. I would also like to know about the daily life of a MAMS student. What are good habits, what do you do on weekends and what do you do in your spare time.

Thank you for taking time to do this.

Thank you. I would also like to know about the daily life of a MAMS student. What are good habits, what do you do on weekends and what do you do in your spare time.

Thank you for taking time to do this.
My suggestion is to view this program as a full-time job. For the first semester you're going to be spending the majority of your time in class and studying. On average, I would say there is about 2-3 hrs of class a day followed by about 6-8 hours studying in the library or at home (this is just a recommended studying schedule based on my own experiences). Different people have different studying/learning habits though, so the number of hours can vary from student to student. Regardless, you will definitely find that students during the first semester devote the majority of their days to the MAMS program.

Second semester is a little bit more relaxed. You have different electives to choose from and the course load is, in my opinion, a little less difficult to manage, but that doesn't mean it is a time to slack off and fall behind as it is still medical school-level curriculum. During this semester you will also be given feedback from your advisor on how/when to start preparing your personal statements and resume for med school apps, so you will be spending some time working on that as well.

All of that being said, I would absolutely still find time to relax on the weekends--you don't want to wear yourself out before the semester is over. I picked a day each weekend to wind down, leaving the library at 11am or noon and spending the rest of the day exploring the city, meeting up with friends, or playing tennis or something. Take this time to meet up with other MAMS students and do stuff that helps you relax and keep the stress levels down!

Would a very light part-time job also not be recommended?

Would a very light part-time job also not be recommended?
It's definitely not recommended for the first semester. As for second semester, a very light PT-job would be possible but at the same time it is not something I would recommend. For me personally, I used the free time to volunteer at Boston Medical Center. However, if you already have extensive volunteer experience and other strong EC's and do not need/want to volunteer, I think that a light PT-job (3-5 hrs/week) could be feasible.

I was wondering if you haven't taken the mcat when is the best time to take it

I believe this depends on when you are trying to start medical school. Dr. Offner, one of the directors, suggested that you can easily take the MCAT in May or June of 2016 after completing the one year of MAMS coursework, and then apply for 2017 entrance to medical school. Then you would spend the second year working on MAMS thesis and start med school in 2017. My tour guide for BUSM told us that after a year of MAMS, the MCAT was a breeze. Of course, if you wanted to spend only one year in the MAMS program and apply for 2016 entrance, you would have had to take the MCAT already.

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone happens to know the official start date of the MAMS program this year?

Has anyone in the program done a Fulbright for their second year?

Hi everyone!

I'm interested in applying to this program and I was wondering how accessible shadowing is through this program. Do you have to find shadowing on your own or are there connections through the program somehow? I know Boston is top of the line for healthcare so I'd like to get to see it firsthand if it's possible.

Hi all,

I've recently been introduced to the idea of SMPs by a friend and was wondering if someone more knowledgable can give me a better idea of if this is something i should pursue. In my senior year at a Canadian University, non trad, 3.31 sGPA, 3.41 cGPA, and 34 MCAT. Great ECs but little/no research. Strong upward trend and on pace for 4.0 this year. Likely going to get rejected to all medical schools I have applied to (lol). Are my numbers competitive for this kind of program? is it really worth it vs a regular 2 year masters if the end goal is still medical school?

Thanks so much!

I'm not sure if there is a new thread for the 2015-2016 cycle, but I just got accepted to the MAMS program for Fall 2016. I have a quick question - how common is it for people to do the 1-year MAMS option? Thank you!

Do the 1-year if you're pretty much all set with research experience and will be applying while you are starting MAMS. Otherwise, you'll have a year of nothing between finishing MAMS and medical school. The 2nd-year allows you to write a research thesis that goes towards your grades (which can be good), whereas the lit thesis at the end of year 1 is only pass-fail. Also, at the end of second semester, the last thing I wanted to do was write a huge paper.

Word of warning: work your damn tail off and find a good group to study with. Don't be a loner. If you study alone, you run the risk of being overly confident in the material. Studying with others in moderation will always help you judge what you know and don't know. It's also better to commiserate about things with someone's who's also going through this stuff. By the way, this WILL strain your relationship with your significant other.

Another word of warning: don't put too much faith in the professors. They are great people, but there are simply too many students to deal with. Although they will pump your head with good thoughts, they are ultimately doing that for everyone. A professor just can't be THAT committed to every student they talk to. They have a life and basically it comes down to the fact that no one has the coping skills to invest so much in so many others. You'll understand this 100x over when you become a doctor ;-) The better judge you are of how you are performing, the better you'll do in this program. Don't freak out when you realize how much of a cash-cow this program is for the university and that you will feel, at times, like you're just a number. You are, but just don't freak out about it... especially when you go to apply to schools. Also don't freak out when you realize that a lot of people get into medical school because they're really good on paper, but are otherwise awkward, clueless, or sometimes downright mean and awful people. They likely knew when to take advantage of things at the right times, which brings me to....

A third word of warning: don't be afraid to realize that you can be much more happier NOT going into medical school after this program. Hated the schedule you need to maintain to do well in this program? Don't trick yourself into thinking it'll change when you get into medical school. If you feel like you want out, don't waste your money applying to schools. Join the dark side (aka pharma or biotech). You'll make some money, travel, have hobbies, and won't grow to hate your significant other.

Realize that MAMS is a very expensive test of whether you're "right" for medical school. The last thing you want to think at the end of second semester is "I can't believe I wasted that opportunity!"

Do the 1-year if you're pretty much all set with research experience and will be applying while you are starting MAMS. Otherwise, you'll have a year of nothing between finishing MAMS and medical school. The 2nd-year allows you to write a research thesis that goes towards your grades (which can be good), whereas the lit thesis at the end of year 1 is only pass-fail. Also, at the end of second semester, the last thing I wanted to do was write a huge paper.

Word of warning: work your damn tail off and find a good group to study with. Don't be a loner. If you study alone, you run the risk of being overly confident in the material. Studying with others in moderation will always help you judge what you know and don't know. It's also better to commiserate about things with someone's who's also going through this stuff. By the way, this WILL strain your relationship with your significant other.

Another word of warning: don't put too much faith in the professors. They are great people, but there are simply too many students to deal with. Although they will pump your head with good thoughts, they are ultimately doing that for everyone. A professor just can't be THAT committed to every student they talk to. They have a life and basically it comes down to the fact that no one has the coping skills to invest so much in so many others. You'll understand this 100x over when you become a doctor ;-) The better judge you are of how you are performing, the better you'll do in this program. Don't freak out when you realize how much of a cash-cow this program is for the university and that you will feel, at times, like you're just a number. You are, but just don't freak out about it... especially when you go to apply to schools. Also don't freak out when you realize that a lot of people get into medical school because they're really good on paper, but are otherwise awkward, clueless, or sometimes downright mean and awful people. They likely knew when to take advantage of things at the right times, which brings me to....

A third word of warning: don't be afraid to realize that you can be much more happier NOT going into medical school after this program. Hated the schedule you need to maintain to do well in this program? Don't trick yourself into thinking it'll change when you get into medical school. If you feel like you want out, don't waste your money applying to schools. Join the dark side (aka pharma or biotech). You'll make some money, travel, have hobbies, and won't grow to hate your significant other.

Realize that MAMS is a very expensive test of whether you're "right" for medical school. The last thing you want to think at the end of second semester is "I can't believe I wasted that opportunity!"

Thank you very much for all the advice/warnings! I was definitely asking about the 1-year option because I want to apply to medical schools before starting the MAMS. Is that common for students in the MAMS program? Also, how helpful are the advisors for people who decide to do that?

I'm not sure if there is a new thread for the 2015-2016 cycle, but I just got accepted to the MAMS program for Fall 2016. I have a quick question - how common is it for people to do the 1-year MAMS option? Thank you!
Hi Sharks101! Congratulations on being accepted already! I'm applying this cycle too. Do you mind sharing your submission date and/or stats? I just submitted my application a few days ago and I'm hoping to hear back soon but I'm not sure what the turnaround time is.

Hi Sharks101! Congratulations on being accepted already! I'm applying this cycle too. Do you mind sharing your submission date and/or stats? I just submitted my application a few days ago and I'm hoping to hear back soon but I'm not sure what the turnaround time is.

Thank you, and sure! LizzyM is 66, and I submitted in early November. I received the complete e-mail in late November, and I was accepted in late December. Good luck!