Boston University MAMS 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an email that my application has been "put on hold, but is still under active consideration" hmm... okay then.
Stats for anyone interested:
cGPA 3.4, MCAT 49th percentile, excellent ECs, research, no clinical volunteering (yet) but extensive community volunteer hours

Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Got the same response. @adsav23 where else have you applied? Do you know anything about the on hold list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm a current first year at MAMS. If anyone has any questions about the program, housing, faculty, anything lemme know!

My question was in regards to the 1 year curriculum. In terms of the thesis/research, is it after your two semesters of class or can you do it before?

Does anyone know of a fb group for accepted students?

My question was in regards to the 1 year curriculum. In terms of the thesis/research, is it after your two semesters of class or can you do it before?

Definitely do not recommend doing research the first semester because the schedule is really rough and you will need every waking moment to stay on top of the work. They will even recommend this at orientation.

People start to do extracurricular work, mostly volunteering, in the second semester when the classes are somewhat easier and you have more free time.

In terms of the thesis, we don't really focus on that until 2nd semester. In fact, our class is just now starting to gear up for finding PIs to do them with.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Definitely do not recommend doing research the first semester because the schedule is really rough and you will need every waking moment to stay on top of the work. They will even recommend this at orientation.

People start to do extracurricular work, mostly volunteering, in the second semester when the classes are somewhat easier and you have more free time.

In terms of the thesis, we don't really focus on that until 2nd semester. In fact, our class is just now starting to gear up for finding PIs to do them with.

How about work? Are you able to work while in this program?

Got the same response. @adsav23 where else have you applied? Do you know anything about the on hold list?
@kazekage2016 I also applied to (and have been accepted for) the UMass Amherst MS in Microbiology (I am currently an undergraduate here). They said that my application for BU is still under active consideration though?!? So why send any email?! So confused, but oh well. Time will hopefully tell at this point!

How about work? Are you able to work while in this program?

Again, do not recommended doing anything extra during the 1st semester. You will have a ton of quizzes and tests to study for, and because these are all staggered in your schedule, you will be very busy throughout the first semester. That's why one of the first things Dr. Offner will say during orientation is to avoid worrying about anything but classwork (including work, research, and extracurriculars) for the beginning half. Nobody will stop you from getting a job or doing research, but it will mostly definitely cut away from your studying time, and this will likely show in your grades.

Since the second semester started in January, a combination of rolling over a strong study ethic and having less time-consuming classes has provided for quite a bit of free time to pursue whatever. Many of my friends are doing something extra on the side, whether that is volunteering or work. You can also continue to do so during the thesis summer or year, as long as you can continue meet your thesis PI's expectations for your project.

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted into the BU program the same week I finished my app.

512 mcat
3.7 Ish science GPA (3.91 if you exclude my freshman year)
Summa cum laude distinction
Hundreds shadowing hours
Hundreds volunteer hours
Global volunteer trips

****ty undergrad school tho.

Edit: whoops I just realized this is for 2017-2018 not 2016-2017

Last edited:
Still no facebook group for admitted students yet? Anyone trying to live close to the med campus in South End?

Members don't see this ad :)
Still no facebook group for admitted students yet? Anyone trying to live close to the med campus in South End?

I'm currently looking for apartments in South End as close to the med school as possible!

I was put on hold this week. 3.3 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 507 MCAT.

I was just notified my application was being considered for further evaluation, which I assume is something similar to a waitlist. Congrats to those accepted!

For current MAMS peeps and/or alumni, any suggestions of where to find scholarships, grants, loans, sugar daddies????

I need the moneys.

The official fb group is likely the one that was posted first, as the two people in it are current TA's for the program. They're probably just setting it up now.

For all of you still waiting to hear, there is a lot of time left! I didn't get my acceptance until late June last year if I remember correctly

Last edited:
For the people who have completed this program, what was it that put Boston over the top of other masters programs out there, like Georgetown or Cincy?

For the people who have completed this program, what was it that put Boston over the top of other masters programs out there, like Georgetown or Cincy?

I didn't personally apply to Cincinnati, but the decision came down to BU and Gtown for me. I messaged a bunch of people on here about the two, and it just seemed like the overall reception for BU was much more positive than that from Gtown's alumni. I also thought having a full year's worth of grades and applying with my strongest possible app would be a better idea than applying during the SMP year (I think <50% of Gtown's same year apps will get accepted and I wasn't keen on those odds personally), so I figured BU would be the better option since this is the major difference between the two programs. In terms of difficulty and resources offered, I don't think one is much better than the other though.

A lot of other things to consider however, including linkage rates, costs, living expenses, etc.

Hi everyone! Current 1st year BUMAMS student here. I applied super late and got my acceptance 1 month before the program began in September. Obviously I DO NOT recommend waiting so late to apply as it was crazy stressful and I think I got super lucky. 3.45 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 29 MCAT, extensive clinical experience. I'm several years older than most of my classmates here and was pretty worried about transitioning from full time working to full time studying, but it has actually been going really well. Don't be discouraged if you've been out of undergrad for some time.

Totally agree with sss1219 about not working/volunteering during fall term. The fall coursework is tough enough that any other significant time obligations will affect your grades.

I live about a 30-40 minute commute from the school building which is really not too bad. Sometimes I'm a little jealous of others who live so close to campus, but the rent is a lot higher in South End for smaller space compared to other areas. https://www.facebook.com/groups/673389662794979/ is a great place to look for apartments/roommates. It's where I found mine.

I'll try to check here periodically and answer any questions you may have. Good luck everyone!

Has anyone put a deposit down? I just put mine so I am panicking lol. ITS REAL ITS HAPPENING

Also, can we make an unofficial fb group? or something? I want to be excited together.

Also, can we make an unofficial fb group? or something? I want to be excited together.

Would definitely be interested, I've been checking the "official" one daily and still haven't been approved for it!

I'm worried. What does on hold for further consideration meannnnn

I was accepted to the program in late January. There is still plenty of time for everyone who hasn't heard back! I am stoked to begin this program and to immerse myself in Boston. Im from a small town in Indiana so the culture shock will be one to remember haha!

I applied and got accepted into the program last week!
3.7 cGPA/ 3.2 sGPA, 503 MCAT, good ECs and research experience

To anyone in the program, do you have certain study techniques you would suggest that have worked well for you? I want to come in prepared with a study plan so I can do well and fix my sGPA! Also, when do people start looking for apartments? I'm from Chicago where you start looking 30 days or less before your lease ends and I don't want to miss the window if it's different in Boston!

The three first semester classes are probably the hardest you'll take, and the majority of that difficulty will lie in adjusting to a work ethic that really just keeps you afloat with all of the exams. Luckily the preset grade cutoffs are pretty forgiving so you will have the liberty to mess up a little, but I think most ppl would agree that the majority of the points they lost in any given class were lost in that adjustment period when we first started. So it's really important to start off strong, e.g. be open to sacrificing things that are eating up studying time even if you really want to keep them.

For me, the biggest thing I did that helped me be successful was getting used to constant studying and reading ahead of lectures, since I'm the type of person who needs time to absorb material. Physio was the class that took the most effort to adjust to (the class that stresses understanding over memorizing the most) so getting a course tutor was SUPER helpful in learning what details the instructors thought was important.

In terms if housing, starting to look 2-3 months prior to start date is pretty safe, so May and on. Late April would probably be the earliest I would start, but I feel like most leases in the area will start to end between June and August so I think May would be a good time to start.

Just FYI, the south end area can be slightly more expensive than other places, so be sure to look throughout the city (the BU bus is totally free and stops many times between the undergrad and med campuses, although the payoff then for lesser rent and an arguably nicer area is a 40 min commute and the bus being slightly unreliable time-wise as it often runs up to 10 min late, so up to you to make that decision).

Also, while I've never experienced it yet, the area around the med school can be a bit sketchy really late in the night time, so for those of you interested in staying around the area, be sure to look up crime maps for the surrounding blocks if that is something that would concern you (but again I have stayed on campus after midnight many times and really all that I have seen is the incessant messages from BUPD about the crime, so I don't want to scare anyone off because not having to deal with the weather is actually pretty nice)

@sss1219 Do you know how the physio and biochem compare to undergrad versions of the class? or the medical school equivalents? in terms of difficulty and content. As an undergrad both classes were notorious for their difficulty especially physio since it's a thinking class but I felt like we covered lots of things in great detail. I'm guessing there's a lot more clinical relevance integrated into it.

@sss1219 Do you know how the physio and biochem compare to undergrad versions of the class? or the medical school equivalents? in terms of difficulty and content. As an undergrad both classes were notorious for their difficulty especially physio since it's a thinking class but I felt like we covered lots of things in great detail. I'm guessing there's a lot more clinical relevance integrated into it.

Personally I felt the difficulty went biochemistry < histology < physiology but it's subjective (possibly due to histology and physiology being completely new to me). Biochemistry seemed the most memorization heavy, histology has a practical portion and multiple choice section so requires both memorization and practice (the material itself isn't super hard but there is A LOT of it), and physiology is very understanding based - you get a huge syllabus and you need to know it in and out, but it stresses more on mechanism manipulation than clinical outcomes. Biochem and Physio are exactly the same as the med school's courses I think (just taught out of order since they learn by systems). Histology isn't considered a med school equivalent per se, but the level is definitely up there with the other two courses. For this reason they all very well may be harder than your undergrad courses, but are totally doable once you get into the groove!

How many tests are there throughout the semester?

Biochem = 3 quizzes, 3 tests
Physio = 4 quizzes (1 dropped), 3 tests
Histo = weekly quizzes (x12, 2 dropped), 2 tests

Somewhere around these numbers. You'll have something to study for every 2ish weeks ignoring the weekly COT quiz which is 5 questions in 5 min. I'm sure this is subject to change though.

Second semester has been much more lax in terms of quizzes and tests, I'm not sure if it's because I'm a better studier now or if it's because the classes are easier but it is much less stressful overall

Reactions: 1 users
Was anyone considering BU vs. Loyola? And if so, why did you choose BU over Loyola?

Was anyone considering BU vs. Loyola? And if so, why did you choose BU over Loyola?

I decided on BU over Loyola's MSMP program for a few reasons! One, the BU program can be two years meaning that you already have a built in activity/research setup for your glide year so you don't have to worry about trying to find something to do afterwards for a year like you would for the MSMP program and you get to do a thesis which looks really good on applications. I also personally liked that BU has the option to concentrate in mental health counseling because that is appealing for a psych major like me. I also liked that the BU program seems to prepare you well for medical school, both BUSM and in general, whereas Loyola prepares you for their medical school specifically. I personally like having options and would take being prepped for a variety of medical schools as opposed to being pigeon-holed to just one link. I know that technically Loyola's acceptance to medical schools is higher, but that is because it is just primarily their own medical school and BU can give you the opportunity to really prepare for and get accepted into a better school than Loyola, or at least I'm hoping! I also have been in Chicago for too long and it would be nice to network in a new place so when it comes time for residency matching I have laid roots down in multiple places instead of all in Chicago. I know this was mostly personal opinion, but I hoped this helped!

For any current students: what does a typical day look like for you? How many hours a day would you say you're in class or studying? Do you have time to workout or travel to visit friends or family?

For any current students: what does a typical day look like for you? How many hours a day would you say you're in class or studying? Do you have time to workout or travel to visit friends or family?

I think it's pretty standard that you study the majority of the day in an SMP. There are some people who live like a hermit in the library to study, others who can balance working out and other activities into their schedule. I was the former (on campus from 7:30 to 9, then no studying once I got back home), but I know a number of people who were doing well without huge changes. The majority of you will likely need to cut things out of your schedule to adjust though, since you'll have a pretty daunting number of exams in one semester.

I would recommend doing the former for the first set of tests though, since it is easy to underestimate how hard they can be and perform under expectations. If you think you overstudied, then recalibrate afterwards.

I did MAMS and am currently in medical school. If anyone is currently applying and would like to talk about the program more, I am happy to. Feel free to PM me.

Hi all,

Still currently on the hold list for "further consideration". But I keep getting emails about open houses and what not.... Frustration to the max!
3.4cGPA, extensive community volunteer work, research, 49th percentile MCAT/84th percentile GRE

Hi @cwx216 and @megan1010 , so I have quite a few questions if you can answer them, and I just got accepted to the program... I'll just list them below

Do most of the students complete the program in one year? Or are more done in two years?
If you get above a certain GPA in the program/MCAT score, will you be given an interview at the BU Med school?
How difficult is it to get a stellar GPA at the program? I know it is difficult, but I just want to know if it is possible or not...
Where are all the classes located?
How are the facilities/classrooms?
Are the professors helpful? I've heard that in some special masters programs, the SMP students are just an after thought/revenue stream for the medical school since the tuition is pretty high.
For the students that don't get into the BU Med school, do they find success applying to other programs?
How much does one's MCAT score improve after the program?
Are there opportunities for TA jobs/Research/Extra curriculurs, or are you only going to be studying?
Are you taking actual medical school classes for credit?
How large are the class sizes?
For those who do not go into medical school afterwards, do they go onto dental school, or other professions where you can use a MS in Medical sciences?

Thanks!

I was accepted to the program for the fall as well, so take my information for what it's worth. I am neurotic with getting questions asked so hopefully this helps with you a bit!
Just to give you some information I have gathered review the web, talking with Dr. Offner, Facebook, and browsing SDN:

- It is most advisable to do the program in two years. You applied to the program for whatever reason, lets say low GPA. You take 3 classes in the fall, all the while working on secondaries and waiting for interview invitations. Dr. Offner would send an update of your progress in the courses, but what would it say? They did well on one exam, but...cant say much else because its only October. Plus you would be jeopardizing your grades to work on your application.

- There is no guarantee for a BU interview. However, your application is considered in a separate pool with other MAMS students. While it doesn't secure a spot, it certainly helps because they can look at your application separate from the other 5,000 they receive. BUSM knows the MAMS reputation.

- I have read of people who have received a 4.0. What i have gathered is that this program, along with any other program, medical school, or life journey, is what you put into it. So if you study enough, learn from your mistakes, and really apply yourself to the course work and learning the material, you will do well.

- I believe the classes are located on the medical campus, which is different from the BU regular campus.

- You can look here for a list of schools that students have been accepted to. I believe the MAMS program bolsters a mid 70% acceptance rate for graduates. There is no guarantee that you would get in to a medical school program, that all depends on you and your application. The MAMS program will help if you do well, but you still have to have the EC's, shadowing, PS, interview skills, etc.

- I have read that old MCAT scores increased 3-4 points, so you can convert accordingly.

- The first semester it is highly suggested that you only commit to classes. While no one holds other activities against you, and you are an adult so you can do what you see fit, it is highly suggested to wait until second semester or second year to do extra curricular activities/research/TA. And yes, there are opportunities for research and TA if you so choose.

- There are only medical school equivalent classes, not for credit. Although the information is very similar, they are equivalent classes. There are some SMP's that you can receive credit for taking their course work (Cincinnati? GTown?) but this is not one of them. Don't get me wrong, the courses are designed to be just as rigorous. I have read that MAMS students are well prepared when they enter med school and struggle less than their peers.

- An MS in medical sciences is best for research or more schooling. Like most SMP's, this program is designed to attract students who want to pursue medical school and are deficient in either GPA or MCAT, or they just need more experience. This program isn't geared toward dental, although i have read some pre-dent students going through. Some go through DO school, others go find other jobs. Depends on what you want to do.

Again, I am starting this program in the fall, and the above is only what I have gathered in my own quest for information. I could be wrong on a few things (or everything for that matter!) but I figured I would share the information I have come across.

Thanks @byrdhouse for answering the questions! I am really considering this program as well, and I'm also thinking about doing the dual MS/MPH program, since I also applied to an MPH from BU. Is there an FB group for the program yet?

Not a problem! I wasn't able to answer all of your questions, and the ones I could, hopefully they were sufficient. I am leaning toward the dual MPH program as well. They have quite the reputable MPH program from what I hear.

As far as a Facebook group, there is one but it isn't really active yet. Hopefully they post some stuff soon!

I'll be taking my GRE in a few weeks but have already submitted my app, does anyone know what the typical turnaround is?

Hi @cwx216 and @megan1010 , so I have quite a few questions if you can answer them, and I just got accepted to the program... I'll just list them below

Do most of the students complete the program in one year? Or are more done in two years?
If you get above a certain GPA in the program/MCAT score, will you be given an interview at the BU Med school?
How difficult is it to get a stellar GPA at the program? I know it is difficult, but I just want to know if it is possible or not...
Where are all the classes located?
How are the facilities/classrooms?
Are the professors helpful? I've heard that in some special masters programs, the SMP students are just an after thought/revenue stream for the medical school since the tuition is pretty high.
For the students that don't get into the BU Med school, do they find success applying to other programs?
How much does one's MCAT score improve after the program?
Are there opportunities for TA jobs/Research/Extra curriculurs, or are you only going to be studying?
Are you taking actual medical school classes for credit?
How large are the class sizes?
For those who do not go into medical school afterwards, do they go onto dental school, or other professions where you can use a MS in Medical sciences?

Thanks!

@byrdhouse answered most of these well but as a current MAMSer I will add a few things

1) Completing in 1 year or 2 years is up to you. The second year is really just to boost your CV by giving you research credit, but a good number of people I know are going to be doing the lit thesis essay option through the year instead.

3) I talked about this a little a few posts ago but while the courses are difficult, the hardest part about MAMS is easily keeping up with the crazy schedule of exams you will have. The first semester is definitely the more insane one, so it is really advisable you come in with a strong attitude and aren't overconfident about your own ability.

4) BUMC is at its own campus in the South End, and to be blunt it is much less shiny than the undergrad campus. Not that it really matters though, since the facility you will be using most is the library :p

5) Professors are amazing. If you email them, they are willing to meet and work with you through your study habits and everything. In terms of getting letters of rec, you will get one from Dr. Offner and your advisor automatically, and if you form a strong relationship with a professor it's on you to ask them for one. But generally the professors are super helpful and open to working with you.

9) A lot. Mostly because your study ethic will rapidly improve

10) You won't have the time to do anything until second semester. A lot of people in my class have started volunteering since our second semester started. First semester will be totally packed but nobody will stop you from doing it. Not advisable though.

11) Biochem, Physio A, and Physio B are considered med school equivalents. You don't take the classes with med students, but they are structured almost the same to the med students' courses

12) Core classes will have all 150ish MAMS students (e.g. all 3 in first semester and Physio B in second). Second semester you can choose 2 of 4 electives, and these have hypothetically half the students.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users