Boston University MAMS 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do we need 2 letters of recommendation from a university professor, or can 2/3 of the letters from from non-university staffers?

Members don't see this ad.

So I have been accepted and I am now looking for apartments in south end. How do most people go about looking for roommates in the program?

Hi all, I made myself available to last year's thread so thought I'd do the same again. I'm a MAMS alum matriculating to an MD program this fall. I know how hard choosing between SMPs can be, so I'm here to answer any questions you might have about selecting a program or about MAMS in general. Just send me a PM :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I made myself available to last year's thread so thought I'd do the same again. I'm a MAMS alum matriculating to an MD program this fall. I know how hard choosing between SMPs can be, so I'm here to answer any questions you might have about selecting a program or about MAMS in general. Just send me a PM :)

@sss1219 has answered all my questions and even more! Honest and motivational, thanks for all your help btw.

Reactions: 1 users
Are there other scholarships aside from the Provost scholarship for entering MAMS students?

Submitted 3/29, got accepted yesterday on 4/9 with a scholarship, surprised about the turnaround time!

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a Facebook group for admitted students?

but my GPA is around 3.5 and mcat was a 32/514 (took it twice)

awesome, congratulations on your acceptance and scholarship!! but i'm mainly wondering, with those stats, why you aren't just applying to med schools?

Reactions: 1 user
awesome, congratulations on your acceptance and scholarship!! but i'm mainly wondering, with those stats, why you aren't just applying to med schools?

Thank you :] I am applying to med school this cycle! But I'm waitlisted at every place I interviewed at so if worst comes to worst :\

Hello! Anyone out there who's done the 1 year version of this program? would love to read about your experience within in the program and how you approached the application cycle for matriculation into medical school right after MAMS!

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted 3/29, got accepted yesterday on 4/9 with a scholarship, surprised about the turnaround time!

Did you have to apply for scholarship or did they just give you one when you found out you were accepted??

I was accepted back in february and I'm just wondering when information on tuition and registering will go out? Thanks

Did you have to apply for scholarship or did they just give you one when you found out you were accepted??
I did not have to apply for a scholarship in particular. I just found out when I got accepted.

I was accepted back in february and I'm just wondering when information on tuition and registering will go out? Thanks

They informed me that more information should be released as the semester approaches. I wasn't given an exact date, but I'm assuming around June after the deadline.

I was wondering the same thing. I emailed the financial aid office and they said forms and stuff for the 2018-2019 school year are still under preparation.

Do you guys think its too late to apply? I would be submitting next week. Haven't even taken the GRE

Last edited:
Do you guys think its too late to apply? I would be submitting next week. Haven't even taken the GRE

I don't think so, in the past years' threads people applied even in June and got in. You get your quant and verbal score immediately after taking the GRE, plus if you memorize the BU MAMS GRE code (3087) you can get ETS to send your official score report automatically/for free three weeks later.

Complete: 4/12/18
Email Stating I was complete: 4/19/18
Can't wait to hear back from this program!

Submitted: April 13
Complete: April 19
Accepted this morning! (4/23)
Also received a scholarship (super surprised!). Think I will be accepting, excited to spend the next two yrs in Boston!

Submitted: April 13
Complete: April 19
Accepted this morning! (4/23)
Also received a scholarship (super surprised!). Think I will be accepting, excited to spend the next two yrs in Boston!
Mind sharing your stats?

Hi, has anyone been accepted with a GRE score? And if so would you mind sharing your stats???

submitted 4/8 and accepted today to the one year masters with the provost scholarship. still hesitant due to cost and waiting on in-state school. Anyone have good advice on reapplying to medical schools in this next cycle 2018-2019 so that there isn't another gap year after the masters? Has any BU MAMS alumni in the one year program done that?

Some more general questions:

What's the usual class size of the MAMS?

Is it difficult to keep your grades above a 3.5?

Do students usually receive any financial aid through FAFSA?

Thank you!

Sure thing: cGPA 3.43, sGPA 3.29, MCAT 511
Applied to med schools 2017-2018 cycle with no acceptances

Accepted in 1/2018
Will be attending in the fall, have not currently applied to Med School - planning on applying in the 2019-2020 cycle
cGPA 3.36
sGPA 3.15
MCAT 514

I received an email about applying for FAFSA, housing, tuition etc last night I assume everyone else who has accepted did as well.
Do you know when we will be placed in a Facebook group, I was hoping to start looking for housing soon.

Accepted in 1/2018
Will be attending in the fall, have not currently applied to Med School - planning on applying in the 2019-2020 cycle
cGPA 3.36
sGPA 3.15
MCAT 514

I received an email about applying for FAFSA, housing, tuition etc last night I assume everyone else who has accepted did as well.
Do you know when we will be placed in a Facebook group, I was hoping to start looking for housing soon.

We review the Facebook requests weekly, so it should be soon!

Hello everybody, just a quick question for the people up in BU. I've been finishing up my application and the last thing left is my GRE score. I just finished taking my test today actually. My math score was at a 157 and verbal raw score at a 152 so that puts me at about the 66th-68th percentile for math and a pretty low percentile for the reading. I was curious to if I should retake the GRE to meet the 70th percentile. I realize from this forum that the application is more than just this GRE score, but do you suggest I take it again? A quick recap of my credentials include 3 publications, volunteer hours at Stony Brook Hospital, and shadowing hours under a pediatrician.

Hello everybody, just a quick question for the people up in BU. I've been finishing up my application and the last thing left is my GRE score. I just finished taking my test today actually. My math score was at a 157 and verbal raw score at a 152 so that puts me at about the 66th-68th percentile for math and a pretty low percentile for the reading. I was curious to if I should retake the GRE to meet the 70th percentile. I realize from this forum that the application is more than just this GRE score, but do you suggest I take it again? A quick recap of my credentials include 3 publications, volunteer hours at Stony Brook Hospital, and shadowing hours under a pediatrician.

you should be okay! Feel free to check in with Ali Grise ([email protected]) if you have more specific questions. The 70th percentile is just an average, but there is a range of scores that we see and there are no cut-offs.

@Boston University MAMS
I recently got accepted to Georgetown SMP and I only have until May 15th to decide.
However, I'm still waiting to hear back from BU MAMS. What options do I have? I don't want to lose my spot at Georgetown but I really like the MAMS program.

Hey everyone, I'm trying to decide between the BU MAMS, Tufts MBS, and Duke MBS. Are other people having similar choices, and if so, how are you narrowing them down? I am living in North Carolina right now working at Duke, though originally from the Northeast (I've only lived in NC for the past year). I would choose the Duke program, since I love the school and my partner of multiple years is living here, but the Tufts and BU programs have been around much longer/may be held in higher regard by med schools when applying. Should I be worried that the Duke program has not been around as long? I have tried to call and get statistics on matriculation to MD, and all they can say is more than 85% are accepted to a health professional school.
Benefits of the Duke program are the smaller class size, (supposedly) good advising, and highish percentage of students that get into Duke Med (I have heard around 7-10 out of 30).
Benefits of the others that I know are that they are well established and at this point, seem to to "know what they are doing" more.
Cons of the Boston programs are the move, being far away from my partner, and going back to the cold weather. I will be closer to my family though.
Any thoughts would be highly appreciated! My stats are c3.56 s3.45, MCAT 512, lots of volunteer and research

@Boston University MAMS
I sent all my letters of recommendation to the [email protected] e-mail address, however the application requires that I upload recommenders before I can submit. How should I go about doing this since I have already sent my letters?

Has anyone else who sent letters directly to their e-mail from Interfolio run into this issue? Any help is much appreciated :)

@Boston University MAMS
I sent all my letters of recommendation to the [email protected] e-mail address, however the application requires that I upload recommenders before I can submit. How should I go about doing this since I have already sent my letters?

Has anyone else who sent letters directly to their e-mail from Interfolio run into this issue? Any help is much appreciated :)
I think you just put in the mams@bu email and indicate somewhere in the app that your letters were sent already.

Do students have a lot of support through this program? I've heard of some post-bacs having a drop-out rate that they don't factor into their success rate of getting into medical school. Do most students typically do well in the classes?

I'm looking to finally submit my application after some health setbacks, can anyone clarify if the personal statement character limit is 5300 with or without spaces? I took it to be without but that's also because mine is currently 5103 characters (without spaces).

I'm looking to finally submit my application after some health setbacks, can anyone clarify if the personal statement character limit is 5300 with or without spaces? I took it to be without but that's also because mine is currently 5103 characters (without spaces).

I believe it's with, cause it's the same requirement as the Personal Statement for AMCAS/MD schools and spaces count as characters.

Do students have a lot of support through this program? I've heard of some post-bacs having a drop-out rate that they don't factor into their success rate of getting into medical school. Do most students typically do well in the classes?
Re-post from a previous response.

" As a 2nd year student, I would say that what stands out for me the most in MAMS has been the close-knit community and advising network. The professors here are the most dedicated group of faculty that I have had the privilege of learning from. All of the faculty teach multiple other courses in the medical school curriculum but still maintain such high levels of dedication to the MAMS program. Each student is also assigned an advisor. The advisors are so helpful in figuring out your path and are really just there for whatever help you may need along the way. Dr. Offner, the program director, has multiple class meetings throughout the year regarding MCAT/application timeline, study strategies, letters of rec/committee letters, personal statements, etc. For me, this was extremely helpful since I was feeling a little lost in how to *finally* apply to medical school. As for the student-life experience, the fact that there is no curve in MAMS (aka - you can all get A's) really fosters a collaborative and supportive environment. I have learned tremendously from my peers and could not imagine going through this experience without them. If you are worried about a competitive environment - don't! ... On top of all of these great aspects of the program, MAMS has a well-established relationship with BUSM and our students are very respected applicants to the medical school. Honestly, this program was also a lot of fun!

If you have any additional questions about anything I just mentioned please feel free to ask!"

On the website it says "Additionally, MAMS students receive facilitated consideration for admission to BUSM and, each year, approximately 25-30 students are accepted."
Is this mostly based on performance in the SMP?

So for your second year, in which you are completing a research thesis, can you work in any lab and on any topic? For example, I would love to return to the lab I'm currently in as an undergrad for a year since I already have a good relationship with the PI.

Hi, has anyone been accepted with a GRE score? And if so would you mind sharing your stats???
I was accepted with GRE! my quant wasn't great, but my writing and verbal were above 90th perc.

Does anyone know if there's a way to look for housing without having a BU login? Or if there's a fb group for housing for the program? I haven't received mine yet but I also want to go thru some kind of trust worthy source. They said that BU logins will be given out starting early June but I want to start looking for places as soon as I can so Im not left in limbo. @Boston University MAMS

Last edited:
So for your second year, in which you are completing a research thesis, can you work in any lab and on any topic? For example, I would love to return to the lab I'm currently in as an undergrad for a year since I already have a good relationship with the PI.
yup! You are welcome to complete your research at any location in any topic that you want - so that sounds like a great plan!