Boston University MAMS 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if there's a way to look for housing without having a BU login? Or if there's a fb group for housing for the program? I haven't received mine yet but I also want to go thru some kind of trust worthy source. They said that BU logins will be given out starting early June but I want to start looking for places as soon as I can so Im not left in limbo. @Boston University MAMS
Are you in the Facebook group? We will be posting a housing spreadsheet soon. I would contact [email protected] for login questions

Members don't see this ad.

On the website it says "Additionally, MAMS students receive facilitated consideration for admission to BUSM and, each year, approximately 25-30 students are accepted."
Is this mostly based on performance in the SMP?
BUSM utilizes holistic review for all applicants, so this takes into account experiences/undergrad/MCAT/MAMS performance

How many med school classes do MAMS students actually take? Is it like Georgetown where you literally sit alongside the M1 students, and are graded against their curve?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many med school classes do MAMS students actually take? Is it like Georgetown where you literally sit alongside the M1 students, and are graded against their curve?
The MAMS classes are completely separate from the medical school courses, although they follow a similar curriculum and have the same professors. There is no curve in any class for MAMS students. The only exception to this is the immunology course - this elective, 2nd semester course is combined with MAMS and M1 students. Again, no curve!

Accepted recently!
Complete: 4/12
Accepted: 5/7
Also got accepted to Tufts MBS. If anybody has any advice to help me choose one program over the other please let me know.
I set up campus tours for both programs so I'll be able to ask more detailed questions.

Hi, everyone. I just found out this program and I really want to apply now, even it is a bit late for incoming cycle. My situation is quite different. I graduated with bs in chemical engineering with 3.33 gpa, then went to md in biotech, got 3.82. I did not do any clinical volunteer, because I never though I would go to medical school until recently. During my undergraduate and master program year, I devote most of my time into my family business,so I did not do much EC either(raised by a single mom, so I believe I am obligated to help my family doing better). I have few problems for those who are currently in the program:
1: how much loan do you have for this problem? Assuming you don't get support from the family member. I already have 50+k federal loan now, so I am wondering whether extra 60+k in debt is worth?
2: do you know any one with my stats get into medical school after MAMS program?
3: what is the estimated monthly cost-of-living while in the program?
I know this is a lengthy post, but I appreciate any post that could help me.

Accepted recently!
Complete: 4/12
Accepted: 5/7
Also got accepted to Tufts MBS. If anybody has any advice to help me choose one program over the other please let me know.
I set up campus tours for both programs so I'll be able to ask more detailed questions.
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats?
I was also complete 4/12 and notified of completion on 4/19.

Are you in the Facebook group? We will be posting a housing spreadsheet soon. I would contact [email protected] for login questions
I was just recently added to the group last week. All I've received is my BU ID number, but beyond that am I supposed to receive more credentials with the initial acceptance confirmation email?

Hello,
I will be taking my MCAT this coming June 30 score will be released July. Will BU Mams still consider my application? I know they strongly suggest applying by June 1 but are there late applicants in the past cycle who were able to get a spot despite applying significantly late. Is it still worth submitting or am I better off trying for the next cycle? Thank you

Hello,
I will be taking my MCAT this coming June 30 score will be released July. Will BU Mams still consider my application? I know they strongly suggest applying by June 1 but are there late applicants in the past cycle who were able to get a spot despite applying significantly late. Is it still worth submitting or am I better off trying for the next cycle? Thank you
Please email Ali Grise at [email protected] about your particular situation because they may have you submit without a score since it will be late in the process and then make a final decision once your score is released. I cannot say for certain though, so definitely contact Ali!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I was accepted last week, so I was looking at the housing options given by BU real estate. And I know the lease agreements are for 12 months, but the loans would only cover part of it (part when classes are in session ~ 8 months). I was wondering if you had any advice on how to cover the other 4 months where the loans wont be able to cover? Obviously a summer job would be the best option but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this, or any job suggestions that pay enough to keep up with the rent over the summer. I would be looking to do the program in two years and not one. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
hello everyone! I was accepted to mams a few weeks ago and just put down my deposit today! I'm still waiting to be accepted into the facebook group, but was wondering if anyone knows how roommates are usually coordinated? Do most people find roommates within the mams facebook group or through outside groups like Boston Housing? I'm hoping to live with at least one roommate, preferably another mams student!

Hi guys, I submitted today after having some LOR upload issues with a recommender not being able to access the portal. The program director is so nice — I really felt so helped on the phone. I’m extremely low on stats (uGPA 2.72) but tried to highlight that in my statement. My LORs are fantastic and I am an extracurricular junkie (not just to check boxes either, I legitimately love doing what I do!). Is it true that I’d have a shot given the holistic nature? As in, how far does holistic review go in helping applicants with lower GPAs and scores (GRE above 70th precentile but MCAT was terrible and I’ll be retaking). Thanks!

Best of luck to everyone applying! Maybe by some miracle we’ll be classmates soon.

hi i’m an incoming mams student and currently work at a health center full time. i'm planning on stopping work just prior to the program’s start and i would really like to ask one of the physicians i work with for a LOR now rather than next spring after time has elapsed. does anyone have any experience using a system like Interfolio to store the letter for future use?

hi i’m an incoming mams student and currently work at a health center full time. i'm planning on stopping work just prior to the program’s start and i would really like to ask one of the physicians i work with for a LOR now rather than next spring after time has elapsed. does anyone have any experience using a system like Interfolio to store the letter for future use?

Interfolio works well with both AACOMAS and AMCAS so I would recommend it to anyone applying simply so you have your letters on hand in case you need to reapply

Although it is pretty expensive now, iirc they changed their subscription structure from monthly/pausable to yearly/unpausable which kinda sucks

If you believe that you have a solid application but are just waiting for another semester of grades, I would recommend speaking with Ali Grise in the MAMS office about your application. The GPA recommendation of a 3.0 is not a strict requirement and is just an average!

Two questions:
1) Is it possible to get accepted into the program if your GPA is under a 3.0 but you’ve shown improvement over the past year?
2) If I submitted both my GRE and MCAT scores, because I’ve taken both tests and did not want to leave information off just in case, would they look badly upon my MCAT (which is low) even though my GRE was high? As in, favoring one over the other?

I submitted my application to MAMS and was marked as complete as of yesterday. I am kinda worried about my GRE score as it is somewhat "lopsided". I did great on verbal (73rd percentile) and analytical writing (93rd percentile), but didn't do too hot on quant because I did really well on the first section so my second section where all problems of difficulty levels 4 and 5 and so I ran out of time.

I am wondering if it is worth taking the exam again and updating BU with the scores or leaving it as is? I got B+ Physics 1 and a A in Physics 2 which are both math heavy, and a A in statistics so I am hoping that maybe when they look at my transcript they see that I am actually pretty decent at math

Hey, I was accepted last week, so I was looking at the housing options given by BU real estate. And I know the lease agreements are for 12 months, but the loans would only cover part of it (part when classes are in session ~ 8 months). I was wondering if you had any advice on how to cover the other 4 months where the loans wont be able to cover? Obviously a summer job would be the best option but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this, or any job suggestions that pay enough to keep up with the rent over the summer. I would be looking to do the program in two years and not one. Thank you.
please contact the financial aid coordinator, Sherril Ashe!

I submitted my application to MAMS and was marked as complete as of yesterday. I am kinda worried about my GRE score as it is somewhat "lopsided". I did great on verbal (73rd percentile) and analytical writing (93rd percentile), but didn't do too hot on quant because I did really well on the first section so my second section where all problems of difficulty levels 4 and 5 and so I ran out of time.

I am wondering if it is worth taking the exam again and updating BU with the scores or leaving it as is? I got B+ Physics 1 and a A in Physics 2 which are both math heavy, and a A in statistics so I am hoping that maybe when they look at my transcript they see that I am actually pretty decent at math
I would not re-take it

Two questions:
1) Is it possible to get accepted into the program if your GPA is under a 3.0 but you’ve shown improvement over the past year?
2) If I submitted both my GRE and MCAT scores, because I’ve taken both tests and did not want to leave information off just in case, would they look badly upon my MCAT (which is low) even though my GRE was high? As in, favoring one over the other?
1) yes
2) no, they do not favor one over the other and will take a holistic approach

Hello!
I was wondering if anyone could provide insight why they chose BU MAMS over other programs like Tufts MBS. (Straightforward: What makes BU a stronger choice over Tufts)
I'm currently still debating between the two and would be very open to opinions and insights!
Thanks so much! Congratulations and good luck to everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knew how easy it is to get a research assistant position over the summer in Boston? And how much it would pay.

I was wondering if anyone knew how easy it is to get a research assistant position over the summer in Boston? And how much it would pay.

If you mean for the 2nd year of MAMS then it’s fairly easy to find positions in Boston (but you can work wherever you want of course). However it’s hard to find a paid position as that’s something you’d have to negotiate with your PI, although a handful of students do land such positions every year.

Accepted today (yay!!!) and just want to learn more about the program itself. Do students receive a lot of support from professors and faculty in terms of medical school applications? Also, how is the relationship between students and professors? Are they easy to approach, are the class sizes large? How do concentrations work? I am coming out of undergrad as a nutritional sciences major and am really passionate about nutrition in medicine, and I am really interested in pursuing a concentration in that. Finally, how does the summer thesis work? Is that something we find independently or do we work with a BU faculty member with these projects.

Sorry for the abundance of questions, but I am eager to learn more about the program and what it is like being a student within this program :)

I got accepted today and am currently deciding between the BU MAMS program and USC's MS in Global Medicine program. I am a bit concerned as the first semester of USC's program is taken with Keck medical school students except we are graded (not pass/fail like the med students). Are BU's courses essentially the same as the medical school students? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

I got accepted today and am currently deciding between the BU MAMS program and USC's MS in Global Medicine program. I am a bit concerned as the first semester of USC's program is taken with Keck medical school students except we are graded (not pass/fail like the med students). Are BU's courses essentially the same as the medical school students? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

The med curriculum used to be identical a number of years ago but has since changed to a systems' based approach. The same material is still taught to medical students at BUSM but their classes are structured much differently.

You only take classes with MAMS students in this program, there is no overlap with current medical students.

Hey guys, for those of you who were accepted, when was your application complete? Just trying to figure out what the turn around time is. Thanks and congrats!

The med curriculum used to be identical a number of years ago but has since changed to a systems' based approach. The same material is still taught to medical students at BUSM but their classes are structured much differently.

You only take classes with MAMS students in this program, there is no overlap with current medical students.

If you choose to take Immunology, you will be with the other medical students. This is the only course with overlap.

Hey guys, for those of you who were accepted, when was your application complete? Just trying to figure out what the turn around time is. Thanks and congrats!
My application was submitted 4/12/18, marked as complete 4/19/18, and I received acceptance yesterday!

Hello! I submitted March 23rd, was marked complete on March 30th and was accepted April 9th!

Congrats to everyone! I called today to ask a few questions and Ali Grise was so helpful.

I submitted mine 5/20, marked complete 5/24 and I’m waiting and praying now. If I’m accepted, I’m serious about attending. Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

I submitted 5/12, marked completed on 5/14, and was accepted 5/29! Congrats to everyone else, and best of luck!

If you mean for the 2nd year of MAMS then it’s fairly easy to find positions in Boston (but you can work wherever you want of course). However it’s hard to find a paid position as that’s something you’d have to negotiate with your PI, although a handful of students do land such positions every year.

Hi sss1219...I pm'd you early May, please can you check your inbox? Thanks ;)

Hey guys! Can anyone confirm if BU offers any sort of MCAT prep if students want to try a retake in the summer following second semester?

Hey guys! Can anyone confirm if BU offers any sort of MCAT prep if students want to try a retake in the summer following second semester?
Hey! Yes, we have a specialized program with The Princeton Review, which covers chemistry (predominantly organic) and physics. This is not included in tuition. The length is ~3 weeks, leaving you enough time for some individual studying after the class ends.

Hi All!

I recently accepted an offer to MAMS and I could not be more exited to start this Fall!

I recall seeing a list on-line of common electives that MAMS students take but I can't seem to find it anymore. Does anyone recall where that is?

Last edited:
Are there any stats available about the program? e.g. past acceptance/rejection/waitlist percentages, etc? Also, does the office send acceptance/rejection/waitlist emails on weekdays during business hours only or can they be sent at any time? Thanks! I’m trying to quell some anxiety while I wait.

hi!! How can I tell if my application is 100% complete? will I get an email or will it be updated on the application portal? I submitted about 2 weeks ago but the application portal still just says "received"

When I submitted, I received an email telling me that my application was complete, but would remain labeled as received:

"Your application for admission to the Boston University M.S. in Medical Sciences program is now complete. If you submitted any application material to (MAMS Email) your application status will remain in "Received" rather than "Complete" status."

If you sent your LOR's to the mams email address like I did, you will run across this.

What percentage of students from MAMS get into BU medical school? What percent of students get accepted into MD schools?

Thank you.

Can any past or present MAMS students comment on what the class schedule looks like for the first semester? Hours/day, days/week, etc. Curious on how much time is spent in class.

Idr off the top of my head but I think my schedule was something like class 9-3 MWF and then 11-4 TR with a couple hour breaks in between, most ppl spend the day at the library studying between classes. Almost every class’ lecture portions are videocasted so attendance isn’t mandatory save a couple courses e.g. histo lab, physio discussions when you have quizzes, and q/a’s or reviews that you may want to attend that are not recorded.

Reactions: 1 users
Idr off the top of my head but I think my schedule was something like class 9-3 MWF and then 11-4 TR with a couple hour breaks in between, most ppl spend the day at the library studying between classes. Almost every class’ lecture portions are videocasted so attendance isn’t mandatory save a couple courses e.g. histo lab, physio discussions when you have quizzes, and q/a’s or reviews that you may want to attend that are not recorded.
Do most students get into medical school? What are the Pro's and Con's of the program? I might be starting in the Fall!
Thanks.

Do most students get into medical school? What are the Pro's and Con's of the program? I might be starting in the Fall!
Thanks.

I believe the % going to med school is in the 90s but they don’t have any data on md vs do matriculants

I’ve commented quite a bit about my experience with MAMS, mostly in last year’s thread, if you’d like to read it over :) overall my experience was positive but if you’d like to get into the nitty gritty then I’d be happy to over PM