Boston University Master's Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

together

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All:

I was recently accepted into BU's Master's in Medical Sciences program. Does anyone have any information about the program (i.e, how many students are accepted to medical school upon graduation, how competitive the program is, etc.)

Thank you!

Together

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I don't know about exact #'s, but one Wellesley alumnae who I met got into BU Med School after she completed their Master's Program. She had to take the MCAT 4 times, but she thinks that the Master's Program is what got her in...she was totally nice and qualified for medical school. She wanted to study bio and get her Masters....if you're doing this just to get into medical school, I'm personally not sure if that's the best road to take. But I would have considered lots of options if I hadn't gotten in, too. best of luck to you!!

Originally posted by together:
•Dear All:

I was recently accepted into BU's Master's in Medical Sciences program. Does anyone have any information about the program (i.e, how many students are accepted to medical school upon graduation, how competitive the program is, etc.)

I'm a third year med student at BU. Although I wasn't in the Master's program, I can tell you that it is EXCELLENT at placing students. I think around 15-20 spots in the BU med school are reserved for those who complete the MA program. Overall the placement rate is 60-70%. Basically, if you got into the program then you're, at the very least, borderline in terms of competitiveness for med school. So, study hard and you'll be all set!

Members don't see this ad :)
Scrofula,

Thank you for your reply! I am actually meeting with an advisor at BU later this week to discuss my plans for next year. All in all, my MCAT scores (1st retake) will determine where I will be next year. I am interested in MD/PhD and hope to pursue the most efficient path toward my goal.

One more question: I have heard that BU medical students and graduate students (in the MA program) do not get along well because of the increased level of competition caused by the pass/fail- and grade-system that distinguishes the two groups of students. Is there any truth to this? :rolleyes:

Thanks again,

Together

Together,

You should really think about this program carefully. I was accepted into this program and turned it down last year. If you are successful during this program, you will have an excellent shot at getting in to medical school, most likely BU. However, be warned that you will be taking classes with the medical students, and it will be very competitive. Furthermore, it is very expensive for what it is.

I turned it down because i had not taken courses like biochem and physiology being an econ major in college. I spoke to the director of the program and he suggested that this program was not right for me, and that i should take courses at a state school at the undegrad level. I think the admissions office for this program doesn't really screen applicants, as there are usually more spots in teh program than there are applications!

If i were you, i would really consider taking classes at somewhere like Harvard Extension school, which will be a LOT cheaper! I think those who are successful in both programs do very well, but the chances of succeeding at Harvard are better, not to mention you save some cash!

Best of luck, and feel free to email me if you have more questions.

Neel

nmehta,

Thank you for your post! I sent you an e-mail in which I ask additional questions. Hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks again,

Together