Boston University Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tonic1025

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did everyone else get SEVEN email invites from BU?

Members don't see this ad.

Tonic1025 said:

Haven't received anything from them yet.

They may be hinting at something... or did they all come at once?

Members don't see this ad :)
i got 2 web account ones, and then 2 hours later an official invite saying i would soon get a web account e-mail. Just got the appology about all the emails too. They did better than jefferson, I got 3 invites from them.

I was processed june 27. AMCAS aps were released to med schools on the 5th or so (i got a flood of invites on the 7-10th).

BU also appologized for not getting out secondaries super fast.

Embily123 said:
i got 2 web account ones, and then 2 hours later an official invite saying i would soon get a web account e-mail. Just got the appology about all the emails too. They did better than jefferson, I got 3 invites from them.

I was processed june 27. AMCAS aps were released to med schools on the 5th or so (i got a flood of invites on the 7-10th).

BU also appologized for not getting out secondaries super fast.

must be super backed up in their office and just getting to the early birds now

Tonic1025 said:

You beat me! I only got 6. :rolleyes: I also just received the apology e-mail as well. At first I couldn't log in, but eventually I was able to and got a look at everything. The essay is "optional", but I can't see myself feeling safe enough to just skip it.

I got 24, they must already be obsessed with me

hhahaha

The essay is "optional", but I can't see myself feeling safe enough to just skip it.

I agree. the way they word the optional-ness is really nice, I just don't think I could not write it.

godawgs39 said:
You beat me! I only got 6. :rolleyes: I also just received the apology e-mail as well. At first I couldn't log in, but eventually I was able to and got a look at everything. The essay is "optional", but I can't see myself feeling safe enough to just skip it.

Does anyone mind posting what the secondary essay is about?

Hmm.. Weird, I was verified June 13 and no BU yet. Oh well I'm sure it will come. I'm sure they want their money

I haven't gotten anything yet. What's on the secondary? PLEASE POST!

tennisnr said:
Hmm.. Weird, I was verified June 13 and no BU yet. Oh well I'm sure it will come. I'm sure they want their money

Yeah June 14th here and no sign of BU. It's ok since there's so many other secondaries to complete in the meantime. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Nakhrewali said:
Yeah June 14th here and no sign of BU. It's ok since there's so many other secondaries to complete in the meantime. :rolleyes:

i was verified right after the mcat scores came out, and i'm actually all caught up on my secondaries right now...it'd be nice to have another one, even if the BU secondary is just an another opportunity to see if i still have my credit card number memorized from typing it in so many times these last few weeks... :rolleyes:

they list this as optional:

Medicine is not a trade to be learned, but a profession to be entered. A profession is characterized by a specialized body of knowledge that its members must teach and expand, by a code of ethics and a duty of service that put patient care above self-interest, and by the privilege of self-regulation granted by society. [Snyder L, et. al. Ann Intern Med. 2005;142;560-582.]
Please write a 250-500 word reflection on the concept of professionalism in medicine and the traits by which it is constituted. Focus your comments on ways in which you have been challenged by your own life experiences en route to a career in medicine, as well as on ways in which your own experiences have shaped your understanding of the profession of medicine and your own determination to undertake the obligations inherent in this career. Use this essay to provide us with insights that are not reflected in your AMCAS Personal Statement or other parts of your application.

sbristow said:

Medicine is not a trade to be learned, but a profession to be entered. A profession is characterized by a specialized body of knowledge that its members must teach and expand, by a code of ethics and a duty of service that put patient care above self-interest, and by the privilege of self-regulation granted by society. [Snyder L, et. al. Ann Intern Med. 2005;142;560-582.]
Please write a 250-500 word reflection on the concept of professionalism in medicine and the traits by which it is constituted. Focus your comments on ways in which you have been challenged by your own life experiences en route to a career in medicine, as well as on ways in which your own experiences have shaped your understanding of the profession of medicine and your own determination to undertake the obligations inherent in this career. Use this essay to provide us with insights that are not reflected in your AMCAS Personal Statement or other parts of your application.

Oh come on....

Finally got it!

wow boston is asking for an essay now? last year it was just 100 bucks

jbrice1639 said:
i was verified right after the mcat scores came out, and i'm actually all caught up on my secondaries right now...it'd be nice to have another one, even if the BU secondary is just an another opportunity to see if i still have my credit card number memorized from typing it in so many times these last few weeks... :rolleyes:
jbrice1639 nice bio....just out of curiosity, who was your premed advisor at U of I? And by the way, I think you are most likely gonna get into RUSH and most of the Illinois schools. Goodluck.

IgweEmeka said:
jbrice1639 nice bio....just out of curiosity, who was your premed advisor at U of I? And by the way, I think you are most likely gonna get into RUSH and most of the Illinois schools. Goodluck.

I don't actually remember my advisor's name...I was a bio major originally, so she was one of the bio advisors. I only had her for a little while though, and I can't actually remember her name. It was a pretty common name though like Beth or Ruth or something like that...The pre-med office at Loyola where I am now is very good though, and I'm definitely very happy with how helpful they've been to me as a post-bac.

damn it, i was looking forward to BU's notorious easy, quick secondary, where you just send in $100. Ugh, I actually have to put in even more effort now? :mad:

250-500 words?? The question itself is almost that long!

Is this really the essay? It sounds like a joke to me.

um my amcas hasn't even been reviewed yet, let alone verified.

and the email invitation states that they have my AMCAS. weird.

maybe because i'm here right now in their MAMS program haha.

So I've heard people who screwed the essay and got interviews, and people who wrote long essays and did not get interviews; where do I stand?! :mad:

Think Im going to brave it and write the essay; it sounds "optional" but more of "if you want us to consider you write this essay":

MesoCompound said:
So I've heard people who screwed the essay and got interviews, and people who wrote long essays and did not get interviews; where do I stand?! :mad:

Think Im going to brave it and write the essay; it sounds "optional" but more of "if you want us to consider you write this essay":

I am writing it, but only to about the minumum words. :thumbup:

this essay is driving me crazy...i can't tell if it's too simple or too complex, but i'm staring at the empty box and nothing is coming to mind...i'm actually wishing they'd just asked the "why our school" question...how sad is that...

I'm seriously thinking about skipping this "optional" essay. Do they know they are just asking us write a bunch of warm fuzzy BS? Do they really want to read that?

Or if I DO write something here, I might just write about why I want to go into medicine.. what I want to do as a doctor. I really don't want to write about what professionalism means to me.

I'm still waiting on another email in order to access it.

Well...I added BU because I thought I wouldn't have to write any essay for the secondary. Guess I was wrong... :oops:

radioh3ad said:
um my amcas hasn't even been reviewed yet, let alone verified.

and the email invitation states that they have my AMCAS. weird.

maybe because i'm here right now in their MAMS program haha.

My AMCAS still has not been reviewed or verified yet and I have gotten secondary applications from 3 schools, including BU...all say they have my AMCAS. This confused me because I thought AMCAS didn't send anything out to the schools until everything was verified. Guess they just want their money as fast as possible :rolleyes:

Caligirl98 said:
My AMCAS still has not been reviewed or verified yet and I have gotten secondary applications from 3 schools, including BU...all say they have my AMCAS. This confused me because I thought AMCAS didn't send anything out to the schools until everything was verified. Guess they just want their money as fast as possible :rolleyes:

I got verified in June and haven't recieved a secondary. Should I be worried?

why is the font so damn small when I type anything in the big textboxes??

Well, BU is off my list unless I want to retake freshman chemistry :mad:

BU is having big-time problems with their e-mail and their online application, so if you haven't heard from them, I wouldn't freak out quite yet. Today I got an e-mail from them (#4) apologizing for all of their problems!

Really, the only thing they should be apologizing for is that stupid optional essay. :mad:

My s.o. saw the essay prompt, and is now obsessed with it. but he's an ER doc, so there's something wrong with his brain. his note to me this morning:

"in a way, it's a pathway like bushido or shao-lin. it is a way of walking, breathing, eating. walking thus, one is changed."

I'm tempted to smoke a joint, cut and paste, and submit that sucker. but I actually would like to go there, so I'll control my urges.

it's their first year going online. give them a break.

my optional essay was 367 words. took me one night to write. not too bad...on to stanford.

prana_md said:
I'm tempted to smoke a joint, cut and paste, and submit that sucker. but I actually would like to go there, so I'll control my urges.

Wow, Shaolin and joint-smoking references in the same post. Hmm, perhaps we were seperated at birth. You adopted?

also, why are you all forgetting about the pain-in-the-ass-osity of this essay?

3. Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be part of particular interest to us.

wtf?

prana_md said:
BU is having big-time problems with their e-mail and their online application, so if you haven't heard from them, I wouldn't freak out quite yet. Today I got an e-mail from them (#4) apologizing for all of their problems!

Anyone else still having trouble with BU's online app? I tried to login this morning and it goes nowhere. Is anyone able to login?

You adopted?
Actually, I am.

Got up early today to ponder professionalism.

Dave_med said:
Anyone else still having trouble with BU's online app? I tried to login this morning and it goes nowhere. Is anyone able to login?
Looks like they are back online.

indo said:
also, why are you all forgetting about the pain-in-the-ass-osity of this essay?

3. Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be part of particular interest to us.

wtf?
For real! Do we actually have to write this?

allelicia said:
For real! Do we actually have to write this?

I called BU and asked them what should we do if we're a traditional applicant (bio major, no lapses in educational history, no particularly bad quarter, etc), and they said that you don't have to write anything in that instance. Not sure if you want to leave it blank, but I really don't have anything different from most in terms of educational history...

Anyone try to print the app. yet? I have finalized mine but when I click on the link to print it brings up a blank page. Any ideas?

Mike4284m said:
Anyone try to print the app. yet? I have finalized mine but when I click on the link to print it brings up a blank page. Any ideas?
i printed mine and a pdf opened up. i saved it and printed it at work and it looks fine. sent in at noon today.

does anyone have the link to the complete article that the essay prompt is based on???

thanks!

The article is only available to subscribers (it's from the Annals of Internal Medicine). You may wish to refer to an article cited within, Ann Intern Med. 2002; 136:243 (the last two are volume and page number, and you can find it at www.annals.org -- it's old enough to be freely available, unlike the original article).

EnergyShotz said:
I called BU and asked them what should we do if we're a traditional applicant (bio major, no lapses in educational history, no particularly bad quarter, etc), and they said that you don't have to write anything in that instance. Not sure if you want to leave it blank, but I really don't have anything different from most in terms of educational history...

Thanks for the info :)