Boston University SMED vs. UIC GPPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodluckpls

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm a high school senior right now and am grateful for having these two BS/MD program options. I'm looking for help in picking the best choice. I've listed some advantages and disadvantages of each program below. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance!

BU SMED
Pros:
- I love the location of SMED much more, it's a medical hub
- Amazing tight-knit, and supportive community
- 7-year instead of 8-year program
- BU's med school is also ranked higher (33) compared to UIC (55). With step 1 being pass-fail and some talk about step 2 being removed, I'm also trying to factor in med school ranking more
- Very good diversity and social justice focus
- Undergrad experience will probably be better

Cons:
-130k more expensive than GPPA (but having an extra year working could make up for it?)
- Heard undergrad can be tough with the various requirements and grade deflation
- No familial support in medical school

UIC GPPA
Pros:
- Cheaper by around 130k over 8 years.
- Probably could get some familial support since it is in-state and closer to home
- Can apply out to other medical schools (although I probably wouldn't take this path)

Cons:
- I do not like Chicago nearly as much as Boston - not sure if I could see myself here for 8 years
- Lower medical school ranking which might matter more now
- 513 MCAT which is pretty high for a BA/MD program

Members don't see this ad.

Does BU have such a high MCAT cutoff?

7 vs 8 years + better location + you like it better make BU have the edge imo.

Reactions: 1 user
Does BU have such a high MCAT cutoff?

7 vs 8 years + better location + you like it better make BU have the edge imo.
BU has an 80% MCAT cutoff, which is generally achievable by SMED students and lower than UIC's 513. Thanks for both of your inputs.

Good post for a high schooler. 513 is 87th percentile.
I'm new to SDN haha

BU has an 80% MCAT cutoff, which is generally achievable by SMED students and lower than UIC's 513. Thanks for both of your inputs.

I'm new to SDN haha
I know you are new and but impressed by the post. I guess you did your "homework" :) Again, don't go based on MCAT especially it's below 90th percentile unless you are not a good test taker.