Boston University vs NYU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hocotate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I am currently holding an acceptance at BU, and was recently offered an acceptance from the NYU waitlist. I feel that they are fairly similar schools in many ways, but I like the curriculum at NYU much more than the curriculum at BU. I also feel that the research experience I would get at NYU would be marginally better than the one I would get at BU, too, and I'm very interested in doing research as a med student. I'm pretty torn, actually, and don't have too much time to make my decision. Do any of you have personal experience with either school, or were perhaps in a similar position? Is either NYU or BU considered to be a "better" medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

How's the financials?

Members don't see this ad :)
On the financial front, they appear to be roughly the same. Not such a large difference that would dissuade me from either choice.

Then pick whichever one you like more. NYU is ranked higher, but both are comparable schools in many ways imo. NYU does have more research funding, and better hospitals.

Also, NYC vs. Boston. I'd personally pick NYU.

Last edited:
Never been to Boston and did not apply to BU, but I fell in love with NYU and NYC when visited. I think the curriculum, opportunities, facilities and location of NYU make it the winner for me.

When applying for residencies, does the ranking hold any particular importance? I'm (currently) planning on applying for internal medicine, for what it's worth.

Both programs are so similar that imo it's all up to personal preference. I think NYU is a bit more expensive, especially because it is hard to escape the high rent of NYC whereas in Boston you can move a bit out of the main city and pay a more decent rent and still be able to public transit or drive in. Despite NYU's higher research ranking, imo your research options at either school are excellent and equivalent, also if you really want to go hardcore research you can work with PI's at HMS, BI, Brigham, etc if you're in Boston. Check out match lists to see if you can see any big difference, last I looked at the two schools they both match plenty of students to excellent programs all across the US (including competitive areas like California/NYC/Boston).

IIRC NYU takes 3rd year boards, I haven't done step 1, but knowing plenty of people who went through 3rd year, I have no idea how people could have the time or energy to study adequately for boards. Or how easy it is to refresh all that knowledge from 2nd year after so long away from the books. But that is a question you should ask some rising 4th years or recent grads of NYU, or at least some rising 4th years+ at other schools on what they think about it. That was one of my only big concerns about NYU's curriculum.

In short, congrats on two excellent schools. If you can't find one you like more than the other, go ahead and choose where you want to spend your next 4 years more.

I went to NYU, loved it. Most NYU residencies are much better than their BU counterparts, so that should be a consideration, but your options will be very good coming from either place.