Boston vs VCU vs PennState

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olomide

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which school of the three would you choose and why? Thanks in advance..

Members don't see this ad.

olomide said:
i'd say boston

olomide said:

I've interviewed at BU and VCU, both are great schools. Boston, however, is a much more scenic and "nicer" city than say richmond, and I think BU has more prestige. It also a tough school academically (Pathology is apparently a course that is commonly failed by M1's- not that they actually fail, but 60% of the class is below passing for most of the semester). But that just means that you'll be more prepared for the boards.

On the other hand, the faculty I met at VCU was wonderful and the environment is a lot more relaxed. They give you more time to gain clinical exposure early on (classes are only from 8-12) and I think 2nd year is even more flexible to allow for more step 1 preparation.

I'd be happy at either of the two, but I may end up paying more to go to Boston, as it is more prestigous and has strong research funding.

Members don't see this ad :)
BerkeleyMD said:
I've interviewed at BU and VCU, both are great schools. Boston, however, is a much more scenic and "nicer" city than say richmond, and I think BU has more prestige. It also a tough school academically (Pathology is apparently a course that is commonly failed by M1's- not that they actually fail, but 60% of the class is below passing for most of the semester). But that just means that you'll be more prepared for the boards.

On the other hand, the faculty I met at VCU was wonderful and the environment is a lot more relaxed. They give you more time to gain clinical exposure early on (classes are only from 8-12) and I think 2nd year is even more flexible to allow for more step 1 preparation.

I'd be happy at either of the two, but I may end up paying more to go to Boston, as it is more prestigous and has strong research funding.

Thanks for your advice!!!!

olomide said:

If you're a Virginia resident, then VCU, hands down. The training is as good as anywhere else and you'll save reams of cash. I graduated from there this year and I thank the big G every time I look at my paltry $135K debt. Plus, you can live in Richmond for a song.

Otherwise, I dunno...

Havarti666 said:
If you're a Virginia resident, then VCU, hands down. The training is as good as anywhere else and you'll save reams of cash. I graduated from there this year and I thank the big G every time I look at my paltry $135K debt. Plus, you can live in Richmond for a song.

Otherwise, I dunno...
Yeah, i am a VA resident...
Anybody know the avg debt for Boston?

olomide said:

I don't have the MSAR, but according to US News it is:
$138,743 for Boston
$99,213 for VCU

diosa428 said:
I don't have the MSAR, but according to US News it is:
$138,743 for Boston
$99,213 for VCU

Don't look at averages, as they are sometimes based on old numbers, and invariably skewed by those students who have a lot of finanical help (i.e. Mom and Dad pay for med school). Look at the tuition rates and the finanical aid packages and find out how much these four years are going to cost YOU.

I got zero financial help from my family, took the run-of-the-mill financial aid package from VCU for four years, and ended up 135K-136K in debt. No fuss, no muss. I will also put my education up against anybody's.

Compare that to my financial aid talk at, say, Georgetown, where it went: "Okay, first you will max out your federal loans, then you will take out these loans.... and then these right here. This only leaves you with about $8,000 a year to cover on your own."

olomide said:

If you're a VA resident then you better come up with a damn good reason to justify the extra expense. I'm not saying you don't have one, just that you need one in order to make going out-of-state a worthwhile endeavor.

I'm biased towards my alma mater, but I think you'd be nuts to pass it up.