boston?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keiki

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know what the cost of living is in boston? i mean like what rent is like? i hear it's similar to san francisco, but i've never been there. also, is the public transportation sufficient so that i won't need a car? i hear parking is horrendous there... for all of you that will be attending schools out of state, will you live on campus or off? i'm at a disadvantage because i'm not sure if i'll have the time (or money) to look for a place prior to moving.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A quick poll of my friend who went to BU and still lives in Boston says that he pays $800/month rent to live in an apt/townhouse/whatever with 2 other people ($2400/mo total not including utilities, I don't think). He loves it, but agrees that it's mad-expensive. He does have a car and drives, but it takes some getting used to. He's from CT and he has no intention of leaving Boston. That's all I've got, hope it helps some.

Jd

thanks jd... looks like i'm stuck yet again paying high rent.. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Public transportation is pretty good. It'll take you everywhere you need to go. Not too scary to walk either. Boston is a really cool city -- has a sorta young, preppy vibe. If you like SF - you'll probably enjoy Boston.

What school are you going to?

congrats.

thats nothing compared to l.a.! seriously in westwood (ucla)n ur lucky if u can get that deal! and boston... personally i think it would be a really fun city- bc there is such a bustling academic life there- lots of young ppl and great schools- lots of ppl w high goals... u'll have fun!