Both parents' info on FAFSA even though they are divorced?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trismegistus4

Credential Non-Respecter
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My parents are divorced. At least one of the schools I'm applying to says that they require both parents' financial information on the FAFSA even in cases of divorce or separation. However, if you tell FAFSA your parents are divorced or separated, it asks you which parent you will be providing the information of and then lets you enter only one set of figures. What is one supposed to do in this case? Just sum the parents' information? Or submit the FAFSA twice, once for each parent?

I've actually already submitted it and done the former. I'm just wondering in retrospect whether I did it wrong and now my application is going to have all kinds of problems.

Members don't see this ad.

My parents are divorced. At least one of the schools I'm applying to says that they require both parents' financial information on the FAFSA even in cases of divorce or separation. However, if you tell FAFSA your parents are divorced or separated, it asks you which parent you will be providing the information of and then lets you enter only one set of figures. What is one supposed to do in this case? Just sum the parents' information? Or submit the FAFSA twice, once for each parent?

I've actually already submitted it and done the former. I'm just wondering in retrospect whether I did it wrong and now my application is going to have all kinds of problems.

I think you stated your parent's financial information on the FAFSA appropriately given that you have applied to a school(s) that specifically requests both parent's information, regardless of marital status. Should they ever request copies of your parent's tax returns, some schools do, even some public ones, your FAFSA will be accurate. Otherwise, I think your only other options would be to submit the FAFSA twice, which I think would be confusing, or fill out the FAFSA including only the custodial parent, as FAFSA suggests, and, in addition, submit a copy of your non-custodial parent's tax return and a short, explanatory note to the school(s) that want both parent's information. I think the way you handled your dilemma was was logical and the easiest way to answer the question in a timely and accurate fashion. Good Luck.