Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Bought the US News Ultimate Guide to Medical Schools yesterday...

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by southpawcannon, Feb 14, 2007.

1. southpawcannon

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It is soooo much more informative than Barron, which is a waste of several trees for a useless text in my opinion. I was originally going to use the word 'futile' to describe Barron, and noticed that a synonym of futile is 'barren.' Ha.

Anyhow, for those you have yet to read it, the US News version provides a fairly comprehensive evaluation of all the medical schools, from the usual GPA, MCAT scores, requirements, acceptance rates, rank in primary care/research, etc., to admission policies provided by the schools, description of curriculum, popular residencies chosen by students at their respective schools, and percentage of students not coming directly from college after graduation. The last one is a statistic I looked at on all the schools I'm interested in and noticed there are a good few that have anywhere from 25% up to 40%. According to the Mayo Clinic profile, 43% didn't come straight from college. Hopkins is 36%. The admission policies give you a much clearer picture as to what they are looking for. While for some it seems to be straight up GPA and MCAT, others want to look at the individual. Of course, getting pass the first hoop of screenings has to be done either way.

Anyhow, just wanted to share that with you guys.

2. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Staff Member Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    Keep in mind that 90+% of that "not coming straight from college" population took off one, maybe two years tops. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ntmed

ntmed Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree. Using data from the AAMC (http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/), about 42% of those accepted do go straight to medical school from college, with most of them taking a year or two in between. However, about 12% of those accepted are 28 or older, and about 4% are 32 or older.

4. oldpro

oldpro MS IV
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

Yes this is so true so the average age of Matriculants
    is now between 24 and 25 years old

thats why to me Non trad is around 28 and 30 not 24 and 25 year olds but Advisors (I hate calling them that I see them as UNI salesmen trying to get you stay in the UNI and take more classes) tell people they are non trad if older then 22 LOL...........................so I'm ancient at 43 ..................lol

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...