1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Bovine and Equine Therio Ultrasound Curriculum

Discussion in 'Veterinary' started by ashleigh52590, Aug 19, 2015.

1. ashleigh52590

Pre-Veterinary
    I am hoping to hear from all the different vet schools on this forum.

What is the bovine/equine therio ultrasound curriculum like at your vet school? Do they offer it as an elective, lab or selective? How in depth is it taught (ovarian dynamics, pregnancy diagnosis,)? How much hands on experience do you get doing it? Who teaches it? Do you feel adequately prepared to use it in practice once you graduate? Tell me everything!

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cowgirla

cowgirla Oklahoma 2014
    Veterinarian 7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    OK State has a bovine therio elective, an equine therio elective, and a therio rotation. There's a 600acre therio teaching ranch with a bunch of mares and beef cows for hands on experience. Palpating is the main learning point, but there was quite a bit of ultrasound as well. More for determining stage of cycle/follicle sizes/looking for cysts, than pregnancy diagnosis although we did venture into fetal heart rates, sexing, etc.

The school curriculum covers dystocias, fetotomies, c-sections, caslicks, infected uteruses, low fertility mares, inducing ovulation, AI, endometrial biopsies, semen collecting/analysis, and all that fun stuff if you take the therio, equine techniques, and food animal techniques electives. I went straight into mixed practice after graduation and have done a decent amount of therio work since day 1. I do more palpating than ultrasound because my portable ultrasound is a PITA. Have a mix of equine, beef and dairy clients.

4. shortnsweet

shortnsweet Just Keep Swimming
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Not all schools have a therio program.

We learned about repro and procedures in class, and my final year I got to U/S and PD cows, but never once felt a mare.

Pretty much all I know (which isn't much) came from one externship and my internship.

5. ashleigh52590

Pre-Veterinary
  6. shortnsweet

7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Oh sorry I figured everyone on here knew where I went by now lol. I went to Glasgow. But there are a bunch of US schools that don't have a therio rotation either.

7. ashleigh52590

Pre-Veterinary
    Still waiting to hear from more people! Would love to hear from as many schools as possible :)

8. Kpowell14

Kpowell14 Mizzou c/o 2017
    5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Mizzou has a Therio didactic class (8wks long) and a required 2 week clinical rotation... I start the class this week so I don't have much more to add. We have 3 boarded theriogenologists- But only 2 practice clinically... The other is also boarded in toxicology and that is his primary focus (except he did give our repro pharm lectures) sorry that doesn't answer your exact question but I hope it might give you somewhat of an idea of what Mizzou has to offer.. @shortnsweet dis you work with the Therio people while you where here?

9. shortnsweet

7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Eh not a ton. We had them consult on cases, but never really ultrasounded and palpated with them etc..

Kpowell14 likes this.