Bovine and Equine Therio Ultrasound Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashleigh52590

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to hear from all the different vet schools on this forum.

What is the bovine/equine therio ultrasound curriculum like at your vet school? Do they offer it as an elective, lab or selective? How in depth is it taught (ovarian dynamics, pregnancy diagnosis,)? How much hands on experience do you get doing it? Who teaches it? Do you feel adequately prepared to use it in practice once you graduate? Tell me everything!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

OK State has a bovine therio elective, an equine therio elective, and a therio rotation. There's a 600acre therio teaching ranch with a bunch of mares and beef cows for hands on experience. Palpating is the main learning point, but there was quite a bit of ultrasound as well. More for determining stage of cycle/follicle sizes/looking for cysts, than pregnancy diagnosis although we did venture into fetal heart rates, sexing, etc.

The school curriculum covers dystocias, fetotomies, c-sections, caslicks, infected uteruses, low fertility mares, inducing ovulation, AI, endometrial biopsies, semen collecting/analysis, and all that fun stuff if you take the therio, equine techniques, and food animal techniques electives. I went straight into mixed practice after graduation and have done a decent amount of therio work since day 1. I do more palpating than ultrasound because my portable ultrasound is a PITA. Have a mix of equine, beef and dairy clients.

Not all schools have a therio program.

We learned about repro and procedures in class, and my final year I got to U/S and PD cows, but never once felt a mare.

Pretty much all I know (which isn't much) came from one externship and my internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting to hear from more people! Would love to hear from as many schools as possible :)

Mizzou has a Therio didactic class (8wks long) and a required 2 week clinical rotation... I start the class this week so I don't have much more to add. We have 3 boarded theriogenologists- But only 2 practice clinically... The other is also boarded in toxicology and that is his primary focus (except he did give our repro pharm lectures) sorry that doesn't answer your exact question but I hope it might give you somewhat of an idea of what Mizzou has to offer.. @shortnsweet dis you work with the Therio people while you where here?

Mizzou has a Therio didactic class (8wks long) and a required 2 week clinical rotation... I start the class this week so I don't have much more to add. We have 3 boarded theriogenologists- But only 2 practice clinically... The other is also boarded in toxicology and that is his primary focus (except he did give our repro pharm lectures) sorry that doesn't answer your exact question but I hope it might give you somewhat of an idea of what Mizzou has to offer.. @shortnsweet dis you work with the Therio people while you where here?

Eh not a ton. We had them consult on cases, but never really ultrasounded and palpated with them etc..

Reactions: 1 user