Bow tie or no Bow tie?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorperez

Jesus was a dissident
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have for some time now , read some comments from med students , pre-med students and others advising against the use of bow ties , in men , for med school interviews . This strikes me as odd since , many MANY doctors use them in their daily medical activities . What is the rationale behind this? . Recommendable or not recommendable?

[This message has been edited by doctorperez (edited 01-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by doctorperez (edited 01-06-2001).]

Members don't see this ad.

There is no rationale behind it. Wear a bow tie if you want to. Clean, neat, presentable. Off the wall dress is a no no. There is nothing abnormal about bow ties, they are just uncommon wear in everyday use.

This has nothing to do with bow ties, but I heard that many people wear blue to their interviews. Why?? Does it look more professeional?
:)
Isn't it more important to look your best, even if it means not conforming to the norm?

Here's my observation: I have been on 16 interviews and met tons of applicants...I have yet to meet one wearing a bow tie...

Maybe it's just me, but when I see bow tie, I think tux...when I think tux, I think either wedding or high school formal...

So in my opinion leave the bow tie for when you are an MD, nicely established, and willing to make your own statement...

Although on the other hand, a little pizazz can always make you stand out which is sometimes a good thing...

So i guess in the end, it's your choice...wear it only if you feel it fits your personality...

Oh and about the blue question...I've seen the majority of applicants in black and blue...actually quite a few pin stripes also...just wear what looks good, sharp, and professional ON YOU.