Boy Surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is the kid who got in trouble for performing surgery in India, right?

the journalists apparently don't know what a DNA binding motif is

Well, Castro Viejo in the Surgery and Surgical Sub-Specialties Forum says again and again, "you can teach a monkey to operate"...

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the kid who got in trouble for performing surgery in India, right?

the journalists apparently don't know what a DNA binding motif is
I didn't know he got into trouble, whoa.

Also, kid's got some real cojones to tell world renowned they are wrong and correct them... Whoa.

Also, kid's got some real cojones to tell world renowned they are wrong and correct them... Whoa.
I think that's part of the argument against a kid so young practicing medicine.. he might not fully understand social mores.

... or he has no conception of hierarchy, because he has been coddled his entire life.

I watched about 3 minutes of that video. After he interrupted the doctor to respond to the questions, I got a little annoyed with his attitude.

Doctor: "What does MRI stand ---"
Akrit: "Magnetic Resonance Imaging"
Doctor: "--- for... that's right"

I laughed out loud when he explained how he was going to cure cancer. Why would any scholar support such trash and bolster him up like he apparently has been in india?

boy surgeons are urologists

girl surgeons are gynecologists

I laughed out loud when he explained how he was going to cure cancer. Why would any scholar support such trash and bolster him up like he apparently has been in india?
Well it was a pretty ambitious idea, but yeah, completely naive

I don't know if the oncogenes are going to come to him in a vision or if he's just going to let everyone do the research up to that point and he'll engineer the genetic cure.

... or he has no conception of hierarchy, because he has been coddled his entire life.

I watched about 3 minutes of that video. After he interrupted the doctor to respond to the questions, I got a little annoyed with his attitude.

Doctor: "What does MRI stand ---"
Akrit: "Magnetic Resonance Imaging"
Doctor: "--- for... that's right"

Yeah, it will probably be a struggle for him to socially develop normally.

Doesn't mean I'm still not jealous though.

What a pest...

Members don't see this ad :)
The kid may be smart in a savant-sense, but his arrogance and sense of entitlement annoy me.

The only thing worse than watching that video was all the typical Youtube comments about how the "older doctors are jealous and threatened by him".

Hahaha. Yeah. Those comments were pretty funny.

It sort of scares me how little the "average" human knows about science. The youtube comments prove it. :eek:

If you all are really looking for a good laugh then read the comments on YouTube for the moon landing. There's some weird, sad stuff there.

I watched the whole hour long special on this kid on Discovery one time. It turns out in the end that he basically just studied medical/science texts since birth and was pushed super hard from his parents. He blabs about curing AIDS and cancer the entire time and in the end they take him to England to take an IQ type test with a psychologist and he really struggled and scored below average on a bunch of really basic stuff because he never really went to elementary school and only studied medical stuff. They basically just say he's not a medical genius or anything really.

It sort of scares me how little the "average" human knows about science. The youtube comments prove it. :eek:

Perhaps more frightening... is the fact that these people are suing doctors and sitting on juries.

I watched the whole hour long special on this kid on Discovery one time. It turns out in the end that he basically just studied medical/science texts since birth and was pushed super hard from his parents. He blabs about curing AIDS and cancer the entire time and in the end they take him to England to take an IQ type test with a psychologist and he really struggled and scored below average on a bunch of really basic stuff because he never really went to elementary school and only studied medical stuff. They basically just say he's not a medical genius or anything really.

Oh dang.

Whatever he is its pretty annoying...needs to learn some humility. A year of summer camp would do him wonders.

Meh. Give the poor kid a break. He's a driven, young boy. His arrogance will be quickly demolished by what us older people have: life experience.

Don't feel threatened. It will take him 20 years to have what you have. And when he's our age and found the mega cure for cancer, take consolation in the fact that you'll always be more experienced in life than him. :smuggrin:

Funniest Youtube comment ever:

u guyz.. he might hav da overconfidence..buh das part of da age. let him grow nd mature..buh righ now,hes' maturin intellectually..which is da most important wen we need him to cure cancer. so chyll..stop findin da one thing das negativ nd focusin on dat..

^ I didn't think anyone else saw that :laugh::laugh:

I hope he does cure cancer:laugh:. Still, I wouldn't trade my life for his any day of the week. His childhood is thrown away.

surgeon: tell me about chemical gene therapy

kid: it's actually to target genes specifically. maybe use a rounded approach, some biochemical agents as well as genetic genotoxic agents. it's in oncogenes also. you can target DNA binding motifs, structure motifs with which they bind to the DNA and express their information in the cancer cells for cancer treatment.

no wonder the med students were speechless.... okay he's just a kid and he is surrounded by people twice his size and he's nervous so he reels off some gibberish. but people are so dumbfounded by his age (12 in the video i think) and the fact that he uses words like oncogene and DNA binding motif that theyre are quick to label him a genious, when in fact all he is is an ignorant, pretentious, and disrespectful kid. he immaturely attempts to belittle the cancer researcher by insinuating that his lab is not producing results on a daily basis! such vile stupidity! he needs a spanking. i blame the misinformed people around him for encouraging him and telling him he's going to cure cancer. ive seen many examples of how parents (often indian) pressure their kids far too much into becoming some sort of prodigy or enter a professional career at a ridiculously young age. troubling.

I saw him on Discovery Channel as well. He memorised a lot of things but when it came down to performing on an IQ test he didn't do that well but then again I don't even believe in IQ testing methods. His parents are saying that his IQ is 142 though.

So did he publish any papers yet? I'd like to read em to see if he's legit.

I really didn't get a bad impression of him. Maybe I am confident in my penis size thus don't feel threatened.

surgeon: tell me about chemical gene therapy

kid: it's actually to target genes specifically. maybe use a rounded approach, some biochemical agents as well as genetic genotoxic agents. it's in oncogenes also. you can target DNA binding motifs, structure motifs with which they bind to the DNA and express their information in the cancer cells for cancer treatment.

no wonder the med students were speechless.... okay he's just a kid and he is surrounded by people twice his size and he's nervous so he reels off some gibberish. but people are so dumbfounded by his age (12 in the video i think) and the fact that he uses words like oncogene and DNA binding motif that theyre are quick to label him a genious, when in fact all he is is an ignorant, pretentious, and disrespectful kid. he immaturely attempts to belittle the cancer researcher by insinuating that his lab is not producing results on a daily basis! such vile stupidity! he needs a spanking. i blame the misinformed people around him for encouraging him and telling him he's going to cure cancer. ive seen many examples of how parents (often indian) pressure their kids far too much into becoming some sort of prodigy or enter a professional career at a ridiculously young age. troubling.
dood, the chemical structure is in his brain.... NO PARTNERS.

I really didn't get a bad impression of him. Maybe I am confident in my penis size thus don't feel threatened.

I'm very threatened by a 12 year old indian boy who spouts off random crap from some outdated medical text and instead of designing lego forts in his head and thinking about pokemon he designs non-plausible chemical structures to attack diseases he knows little about. SMELL THE FEAR. One day he might actually gain a real edumakation and attack my livelihood.

I'm very threatened by a 12 year old indian boy who spouts off random crap from some outdated medical text and instead of designing lego forts in his head and thinking about pokemon he designs non-plausible chemical structures to attack diseases he knows little about. SMELL THE FEAR. One day he might actually gain a real edumakation and attack my livelihood.

Hahahahahahah.

I think his self-confidence is just a cover for a lot of things the poor child is missing.

In part 4/5, look at his facial expressions, tone, body language and the way he is speaking about his father and his desire to "win" back his admiration/love.

Dunno... it just seems like despite all of the prodigal knowledge he possess... he is still a child. Somewhat of a boy-man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLiYyt4NWxU

Sorry, had to add this:

A lot of people have made great contributions to science, humanity, and society... but have less than stellar personalities (or many character flaws). They aren't deemed any less or different. It is only their professional achievements and contributions that are judged, and ultimately remembered.

Having said that, i still believe it's nice to be nice, haha.

this kid is hella krazy

I would give this kid the biggest wedgie ever and then take his lunch money.

You can tell that kid has been pushed incredibly hard, and that his entire self worth is bound to the attention he receives as a "child prodigy." I'm not surprised that he's talking about curing cancer, because that's the only act he can pull at this point to keep that attention as he gets older. Very sad.

Don't you just really hope he's a professor or student at YOUR medical school?

I've always wanted to take biochemistry from a 12 year old.

While I admire the child's obvious talent (nobody can deny that) and outstanding academic abilities... I wasn't particularly impressed by him. I say this not to belittle him but to point out that his mentors should not allow him to engage in these types of interviews and conversations where he is put in the spotlight.

It is like an excellent child musician who learns to play one difficult (and impressive) song very well. Then, every time you see/hear the child perform its always that song and never anything else. They can't play scales, they can't cover the basics or perhaps play their instrument with a group.

Practicing medicine is more than spouting off big words and standing in the spotlight. It involves a firm foundation of the basics, the cognitive ability to consider complex social/ethical situations and being an effective team player.

His mentors should be fostering continued basic science / 1st year curriculum mastery and teamwork activities. I would have been 10X's more impressed if he explained the physiology of the action potential instead of skating around some advanced molecular biology topics.

what a baller, i wish they let me operate before I hit puberty.

As for this kid finding the cure for cancer, I think he needs a little laboratory experience before he gets funded.