Boyfriend wants to do an "oral biology" masters before going to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiouswmp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my boyfriend and I go to a college in CA and we were discussing what we'll be doing after graduating -- my SO had always told me he wanted to go to dental school, but yesterday he said that before doing so he'll apply to a UCLA Oral Biology masters program before applying. His relative is a faculty there and he wants to stay next to me until I graduate.

I wanted to know though, is this program a legitimate program? My SO won't give me the details, and I was wondering if taking the Oral Biology masters is a legitimate pathway to becoming a dentist.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

So my boyfriend and I go to a college in CA and we were discussing what we'll be doing after graduating -- my SO had always told me he wanted to go to dental school, but yesterday he said that before doing so he'll apply to a UCLA Oral Biology masters program before applying. His relative is a faculty there and he wants to stay next to me until I graduate.

I wanted to know though, is this program a legitimate program? My SO won't give me the details, and I was wondering if taking the Oral Biology masters is a legitimate pathway to becoming a dentist.
Depends on his stats. If he's got a 3.7+/23+, then yes it'd be a waste of time

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's only worth it if he takes relevant upper-level science courses related to medicine and dentistry. Oral biology is a fantastic sub-set M.S. degree to go all-in for dental admissions, but it has to be both research-intensive and course-intensive.

I'd highly, highly recommend your boyfriend is assured he can enroll in dental or graduate medical-related coursework (anatomy, physiology, histology, microbiology, pharmacology, pathology) before he spends the money. A half-hearted M.S. with research and craniofacial coursework won't tip the scale.

Hey guys,

Why won't he give you the details? It's legitimate as long as it's a legitimate school. It could be a waste of his time if his stats are good. Maybe he doesn't really wanna go and is using this as an excuse to test the waters before diving in. None of us (strangers on SDN) know. These are things you and him should discuss.

If he has a 3.2 or below, he will/should get the masters and it will be helpful. If he has a 3.4+ it is a waste of money.

Hey guys,

No disrespect, but why are you posting for him? If he's genuinely interested, shouldn't he be the one posting and asking questions?

No disrespect, but why are you posting for him? If he's genuinely interested, shouldn't he be the one posting and asking questions?
yeah people, who often don't have the credential to get in the first time, do it to make connections with faculty in the affiliated dental school by doing research with them and to bolster their GPA. it's kind of like paying your way into dental school, if I can exaggerate a bit. it's a popular/typical route chosen by foreign-trained dentists vying for advanced standing spots, and a rather expensive and an uncommon route for a domestic applicant.
Guys, thread is 2 years old and was necrobumped

Reactions: 3 users