xtv

10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2006
Status
I presume girls dominate the pharmacy classes?

Seveneighty

ego sum venenum
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2005
Canada
Status
Pharmacy Student
Am I sensing some sort of sexual connotation here..?

OP
X

xtv

10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2006
Status
I meant in numbers, not intelligence or work ethic or anything. I was looking at graduation pictures of pharmacy classes... and i don't see many boys lol.

About the Ads

sdn1977

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
Status
xtv said:
I meant in numbers, not intelligence or work ethic or anything. I was looking at graduation pictures of pharmacy classes... and i don't see many boys lol.
Actually, by the time they graduate...I think you can safely call them men and women ;)

You can find the statistics for each class on the school's website - it takes a few months for the current class to be posted...but, you the data can be found....for what its worth!

Seveneighty

ego sum venenum
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2005
Canada
Status
Pharmacy Student
xtv said:
I was referring to your usage of the word "dominate"... :laugh:

kvl1027

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Status
Pharmacist
Caverject said:
Boys have penises and girls have vaginas!
Very Nice, I knew I missed something in A&P....lol

Seveneighty

ego sum venenum
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2005
Canada
Status
Pharmacy Student
Caverject said:
Boys have penises and girls have vaginas!
Oh lordy, I really can't wait for pharm school! :eek:

Moxxie

Rained out
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
Temperate Rainforest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
About the Ads

savvysearch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2002
Visit site
Status
Does anyone know if being male gives you some type of advantage of admissions acceptances? At ucsf, the girls outnumber the boys 6 to 1. Could this raise your chances if you're a boy?

oakland_raiders

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2006
virginia
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
savvysearch said:
Does anyone know if being male gives you some type of advantage of admissions acceptances? At ucsf, the girls outnumber the boys 6 to 1. Could this raise your chances if you're a boy?
I brought this up in a discussion with my wife...she thought it was pretty funny that as a white male I thought I would have an advantage in admissions to pharmacy school. After further consideration I think she is probably right. It is just my opinion, but I am betting that for most schools, the minority/woman advantage only works in one direction. I think my only advantage is going to be if I smoke the PCAT, which I plan to do this October.

xnm11

10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
i dont think males have an advantage per se. i think the gender imbalances are primarily due to the imbalance of females:males that actually apply, imo. there's probably the same ratio of male applicants:male acceptances as there is for female applicants:female acceptances.

Caverject

15+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2003
xnm11 said:
i dont think males have an advantage per se. i think the gender imbalances are primarily due to the imbalance of females:males that actually apply, imo. there's probably the same ratio of male applicants:male acceptances as there is for female applicants:female acceptances.
wtf are you talking about?

Speak english!!

jacketwrestler

10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I think the ratio is a great thing for pharmacists. As long as girls are the ones that have children and keep wanting to do so, there will always be a shortage in the field. :thumbup:

xnm11

10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
2004-2005 application pool:
"the majority (59.3 percent) of the applications were submitted by females; 37.1 percent were submitted by males. the gender was not reported or unknown for 3.5 percent."
- http://www.aacp.org/Docs/MainNavigation/InstitutionalData/7369_Intro.pdf

which is roughly the same percentages for various pharmacy schools:
uop, chicago cop, maryland, pittsburg, oregon, etc. all have classes around the 60%:40% ratio according to pharmcas (although there are schools like ucsf leaning even more towards females).

that says to me that there is no favoring one gender over the other for the most part...

AngelEyes82

10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
Put it this way...these are the stats of the UCSF class of 2009: out of a class of 122 people, there are 20 males. :p

One wonders whether the fact that being a female is the default sex unless the testosterone kicks in has anything to do with it. :laugh:

About the Ads