BPCM/sciGPA with graduate classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quantum Mecha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure how graduate school works exactly, but let's say one completes a master's degree in something that is not Biology, Chemistry, or Biochemistry, such as Engineering or Physics, but takes Biology, Organic Chemistry or Biochemistry courses while in graduate school to meet the prerequisites. How would these be factored into the BPCM or sciGPA? Assume that these courses taken in graduate school were not taken as an undergraduate

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure how graduate school works exactly, but let's say one completes a master's degree in something that is not Biology, Chemistry, or Biochemistry, such as Engineering or Physics, but takes Biology, Organic Chemistry or Biochemistry courses while in graduate school to meet the prerequisites. How would these be factored into the BPCM or sciGPA? Assume that these courses taken in graduate school were not taken as an undergraduate

If they are undergraduate classes, meaning they are meant for the undergrad population at that school rather than the graduate students, it doesn't matter if you take them while you're currently a grad student yourself. (did that make sense?)

Basically, if they are classes meant for undergrads they'll go into your GPA calculation.

If they're meant for graduate students, then it's calculated separately.

If they are undergraduate classes, meaning they are meant for the undergrad population at that school rather than the graduate students, it doesn't matter if you take them while you're currently a grad student yourself. (did that make sense?)

Basically, if they are classes meant for undergrads they'll go into your GPA calculation.

If they're meant for graduate students, then it's calculated separately.

Awesome, thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Quantum Mecha, awesome user name (it reminds me of my favorite class). Can I assume you're a fellow physics grad student who's trying to defect into medicine?

I have a related question. What about graduate level classes (i.e. 500 or 5000 level) taken while an undergrad? Does AMCAS count these towards your undergrad GPA, or grad GPA? I'm asking for two reasons. First, I took one graduate level physics class as an undergrad, and I'm wondering which AMCAS GPA it will factor into. Secondly, I took a whole bunch of grad level math classes as well. The math classes are a funnier issue. My old college's math department bumped up a lot of undergrad level classes to 5000 level, apparently so that the grad students could get caught up on their coursework while receiving grad credit. These classes are listed as 5000 level, but cover material intended for senior undergrads in math (e.g. probability/statistics and complex analysis were 5000 level). Heck, some of these courses were listed as requirements for the undergrad math degree, despite being 5000 level. I'm wondering if those classes will be counted towards my undergrad GPA or not.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hey Quantum Mecha, awesome user name (it reminds me of my favorite class). Can I assume you're a fellow physics grad student who's trying to defect into medicine?

Thanks, yea I used to follow the gundam anime a lot (hence the term 'mecha') and also like Quantum Mechanics (and the medical applications thereof), so I figured I'd throw them together.

I'm a senior in Electrical Engineering, but planning on doing my masters before going to medical school (if it happens lol), which is why I brought up the question since I won't be able to finish all prereqs while in undergrad..

I have a related question. What about graduate level classes (i.e. 500 or 5000 level) taken while an undergrad? Does AMCAS count these towards your undergrad GPA, or grad GPA?

My friend took a 500-level (graduate level @ my school) course in the Biophysics department as an undergrad and put it on his AMCAS application along with the rest of his undergraduate classes.