BPD vs. PDD vs. MDD/ BPD overdiagnosed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omgwhy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems that almost every patient who has issues with chronic depressive symptoms gets diagnosed with BPD at my hospital by clinicians who have just met the patient. It sometimes seem that asking severely depressed patients about the DSM-5 symptoms for BPD is like reading them their fortune. They find ways that the criteria apply to them and agree that they are meeting it.

For example, we had a patient in their early twenties who had been married for 6 years but dated several different people as a teenager in early high school and middle school. This was described as having a history of unstable relationships. Who didn't date multiple people as a teenager (assuming they were dating at all)? If changing partners frequently as a kid is a criterion for BPD then 80% of the people I went to high school with meet it.

When does a desire to avoid abandonment become pathological? I think a lot of people work hard to save relationships or might make heroic or romantic gestures if they felt they were losing a valued connection.

And how does one delineate chronic feelings of emptiness from generally feeling bad about life and one's self?

Also what is the difference in unstable self image and poor self-esteem and what questions can you ask a patient to really distinguish these two?

Is it appropriate to label someone you have only known for 10 hours (and have directly interacted with for less than an hour) with a personality disorder? I thought a longer term clinician-patient relationship was important for appropriate diagnosis.

Obviously one can be diagnosed with BPD, PDD, and a major depressive episode but I see BPD way more than PDD with PDD almost never being considered.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Its way over diagnosed in my opinion too. Its too easy of a way to dismiss a patient and its often become a pejorative term. People aren't going to act right when their lives or thoughts are a mess

Last edited:
I think bipolar disorder is vastly over-diagnosed, especially in children and adolescents. Just because an adolescent is moody and has some unstable relationships does not make them bipolar.

Just because a patient has treatment resistant depression does not automatically make them bipolar. I find that for some reason many psychiatrists just want to diagnose bipolar disorder because it's more "medical" (I can't find a better word at the moment) rather than borderline personality disorder. It's easier to just start Abilify, I guess, than it is to send to DBT.

And no, if you only know your patient for 10 hours, it's probably unwise to automatically diagnose a personality disorder. However if enough signs/symptoms are present, one could do so.

One can also diagnose a personality disorder in an adolescent, and DSM-5 explicitly mentions this. You don't have to continually write "cluster B traits" when it's been clear over the last 2-3 years that your 16 year old has borderline personality disorder.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Diagnoses are over diagnosed. So many of our patients are accurately interpreting and responding to their environments, which happen to be horrendous.

Reactions: 4 users
Is it appropriate to label someone you have only known for 10 hours (and have directly interacted with for less than an hour) with a personality disorder? I thought a longer term clinician-patient relationship was important for appropriate diagnosis.

I mean the whole idea of a personality disorder is that it is persistent so seeing someone in a crisis situation such as an ER or first thing in the morning on an inpatient unit makes it hard to know if things are persistent or if they are acutely decompensated/stressed/etc. Just like you will often meet people who appear extremely narcissistic on inpatient because the very act of admitting them is a significant ego injury, whereas outside the hospital in another setting, they may very well appear to have healthy coping skills.

That being said, epidemiological studies have put the incidence of BPD at 5-6%... thats 1 in 20 people if you want to believe that. And thats the general population. So consider getting to a psychiatrist (especially in the ER or inpatient) a filter that would concentrate this number even more. Prevalence, correlates, disability, and comorbidity of DSM-IV borderline personality disorder: results from the Wave 2 National Epidemiologic Surve... - PubMed - NCBI

I don't usually see people diagnosed with a personality disorder immediately but I often see "Cluster B traits strongly appear to be influencing current presentation" or something along those lines.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it appropriate to label someone you have only known for 10 hours (and have directly interacted with for less than an hour) with a personality disorder?
Not based on your observation, but based on collateral I don't see why not.

For example, we had a patient in their early twenties who had been married for 6 years but dated several different people as a teenager in early high school and middle school. This was described as having a history of unstable relationships. Who didn't date multiple people as a teenager (assuming they were dating at all)? If changing partners frequently as a kid is a criterion for BPD then 80% of the people I went to high school with meet it.

Sorry, they were in their early 20's and already married 6 years? How early in their 20's?

When does a desire to avoid abandonment become pathological? I think a lot of people work hard to save relationships or might make heroic or romantic gestures if they felt they were losing a valued connection.

And how does one delineate chronic feelings of emptiness from generally feeling bad about life and one's self?

Also what is the difference in unstable self image and poor self-esteem and what questions can you ask a patient to really distinguish these two?

The answer to your first question is "When it leads you to end up in a psychiatric hospital." For your second two, the negative self-regard is episodic (for MDD) and stable (for PDD). For BPD, both self image and experience of others is in flux. So for example... my boss gave me good feedback -- he's the best, I'm the best, and everything is wonderful. A few hours later, he rolled his eyes at one of my comments. Now I'm awful, he's awful, life is awful. Compare that to the PDD patient, who will never be happy with any feedback they receive ("maybe I got lucky and did a good job this time, but its all pointless and I'm just going to eventually screw up.")

Obviously one can be diagnosed with BPD, PDD, and a major depressive episode but I see BPD way more than PDD with PDD almost never being considered.

There's no set time criteria to make any psychiatric diagnosis. Why should it take any longer to diagnose a PD over an affective disorder? Personally, I feel that we have way better treatment strategies for BPD compared to PDD, and there's nothing to say that the person can't have BPD and MDD, and be treated for both.

As an aside, sorry to hear that things continue to be difficult at your program.

It seems that almost every patient who has issues with chronic depressive symptoms gets diagnosed with BPD at my hospital by clinicians who have just met the patient. It sometimes seem that asking severely depressed patients about the DSM-5 symptoms for BPD is like reading them their fortune. They find ways that the criteria apply to them and agree that they are meeting it.

An accurate diagnosis of borderline PD can be a critical intervention and can be made in a hospital setting with the caveat that the information gathered about someone's functioning be accurate and stable over a person's adult life. This often requires collateral. And a clinician making these diagnoses ought to know the criteria cold.

But it is also fair to say that psychiatry is an imprecise field. Criteria for our diagnoses are essentially behavioral or subjective, and norms may be very different based on psychosocial status, culture of origin, gender, etc. Most patients do not fall out of the DSM in cleanly defined ways. And rare is the patient where some interpersonal dynamics aren't highly important to their acute illness presentation (even with clear-cut psychotic disorders for instance).

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder if some of the clinicians are inaccurately making the diagnosis when they mean to simply highlight that traits of whatever personality disorder are particularly prominent and playing a role in their presentation - perhaps even more so than whatever axis I diagnosis is listed as the primary problem for the purposes of billing.

I wonder if some of the clinicians are inaccurately making the diagnosis when they mean to simply highlight that traits of whatever personality disorder are particularly prominent and playing a role in their presentation - perhaps even more so than whatever axis I diagnosis is listed as the primary problem for the purposes of billing.

This is definitely a thing that I have noticed some of our emergency psychiatry people do. The diagnosis is meant to be a sort of flag for the primary team upstairs "hey, so this is what I really think is going on."

This is definitely a thing that I have noticed some of our emergency psychiatry people do. The diagnosis is meant to be a sort of flag for the primary team upstairs "hey, so this is what I really think is going on."

I see this all the time at our health system from many excellent, experienced physicians and social workers - in the ER, consults, and esp. inpatient. Observations, collateral, and history about significant personality traits (ideally described, more than just "cluster B traits" without justification) can be useful and clinically relevant both for the current treatment team and future clinicians, if documented appropriately and accompanied by caveats as discussed above. It seems very reasonable to me to note your observations, collateral, and longstanding historical examples leading to a hypothesis that a cluster of personality traits or even a full disorder could be contributing to the picture. Especially helpful if I see multiple providers are observing and documenting the same picture over time. Could change decision-making and provide clues for an on-call resident or nurse who sees or hears about behavior from an unknown patient overnight and has no idea if their patient is acting out due to psychosis or delirium or something else, and I certainly approach a potential Borderline crisis differently from an agitated psychotic patient. Also really helpful in clinic if you see a new patient with multiple ER visits noting similar patterns and symptoms and behaviors with similar stressors so that you can make appropriate safety assessment and treatment decisions. I think it can be helpful as long as the documentation remains neutral, clinical, and well-supported, and doesn't ignore or dismiss other factors at play (i.e. "she's borderline, next" instead of considering BPD+MDD, BPD+psychosis, BPD+SUD, BPD+medical issue). If we approach a topic or diagnosis as if it's taboo or undesirable, it will continue to be perceived that way.

Borderline (assuming this is what you meant and not bipolar) is one of the most interesting diagnoses we have. Robert Spitzer included it to be included in DSM III because of pressure from analysts (and received considerable input from Kernberg and Gunderson) with a considerable amount of backlash from the Eli Robbins/Sam Guze camp because the criteria were never really validated in the ways some of the other diagnoses were (which is now the norm in our nomenclature).

Among the etiologically agnostic psychiatrists who looked at validity of diagnoses based on symptoms, course, longitudinal history, delimitation from other illness, and family history, the patients labelled as "borderline" were more appropriately described as either ASPD (again a more valid diagnosis) +/- substance disorder, Briquet's syndrome/Hysteria (now bastardized as somatic symptom disorder), or MDD (when patients are regulated while euthymic but then look dysregulated/personality disordered when decompensated into affective episodes).

The thought was the the non MDD, non ASPD (meaning, no conduct hx etc) "borderlines" were more appropriately described as Briquet because if one would administer a Perley Guze checklist Hysteria--the stability and usefulness of clinical criteria. A quantitative study based on a follow-up period of six to eight years in 39 patients. - PubMed - NCBI and ask about specific somatic symptoms you would get enough symptoms (including the 10th category- which is psychiatric) for a Briquet's diagnosis. The 10th category was unfortunately removed in DSM III version of somatization disorder leading to a lot of issues with diagnostic validity, but the DSM IV somatization criteria which include "pseudoneurologic" actually are valid and match up well with the original Briquet criteria. (Briquet incidentally described dissocial traits in a lot of his patients)

A paper I really like (that has plenty of issues with it nonetheless) is a Wash U paper from 1996 published in Archives (now Jama Psych) in which the authors administered a semi structured interview to patients in 3 separate clinics (2 in STL, 1 in italy) and looked at co-occurring diagnoses with Borderline personality disorder.Clinical study of the relation of borderline personality disorder to Briquet's syndrome (hysteria), somatization disorder, antisocial personality d... - PubMed - NCBI What was so telling about this paper is that borderline never occurred as a sole diagnosis; the most common diagnoses for which Borderlines met criteria were ASPD, substance use disorders, MDD, and Briquet's/Somatization (DSM III-R).

Many of our older attendings will refuse to acknowledge that Borderline is indeed a real diagnosis, but our two attendings who are world experts on personality disorders (Cloninger and Svrakic) on personality disorders strongly disagree, noting that this thinking is outdated and that the syndrome does indeed exist and has treatment implications (while noting that Guze's criteria were indeed probably more valid but for a lot of these patients the somatic symptoms are present but much less consistent or bothersome than the psychiatric distress).

I think Carol North (IMO one of the clearest thinkers in all of psychiatry) really has the best conceptualization in that she describes -oform disorders... in which the patients experience very real symptoms, yet they do not line up with consistently pre-defined syndromes with either known pathology (eg, somatoform disorders, conversion disorders- what she calls "neuroform") or putative phenomenology (what she calls "psychoform"). Borderline might be a "psychoform" disorder because the patients may experience profound dysphoria or lability (yet are not in true episodes of MDD or mania), endorse hallucinations that are very real to them (though these are phenomenologically inconsistent with psychoses of schizophrenia or affective illnesses, hence the term "pseudopsychosis), etc. These might all be manifestations of an amorphous -oform entity, hence why they are often co occurring. Here is a great review by C. North on the subject http://www.mdpi.com/2076-328X/5/4/496/pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Many of our older attendings will refuse to acknowledge that Borderline is indeed a real diagnosis, but our two attendings who are world experts on personality disorders (Cloninger and Svrakic) on personality disorders strongly disagree, noting that this thinking is outdated and that the syndrome does indeed exist and has treatment implications (while noting that Guze's criteria were indeed probably more valid but for a lot of these patients the somatic symptoms are present but much less consistent or bothersome than the psychiatric distress).

I also believe there are treatment implications which make this diagnosis valuable and have seen significant progress in patients who were diagnosed, educated and participated in extensive therapy.

I also believe there are treatment implications which make this diagnosis valuable and have seen significant progress in patients who were diagnosed, educated and participated in extensive therapy.
Yes- you quoted the part where I mention that

Borderline (assuming this is what you meant and not bipolar) is one of the most interesting diagnoses we have. Robert Spitzer included it to be included in DSM III because of pressure from analysts (and received considerable input from Kernberg and Gunderson) with a considerable amount of backlash from the Eli Robbins/Sam Guze camp because the criteria were never really validated in the ways some of the other diagnoses were (which is now the norm in our nomenclature).

Among the etiologically agnostic psychiatrists who looked at validity of diagnoses based on symptoms, course, longitudinal history, delimitation from other illness, and family history, the patients labelled as "borderline" were more appropriately described as either ASPD (again a more valid diagnosis) +/- substance disorder, Briquet's syndrome/Hysteria (now bastardized as somatic symptom disorder), or MDD (when patients are regulated while euthymic but then look dysregulated/personality disordered when decompensated into affective episodes).

The thought was the the non MDD, non ASPD (meaning, no conduct hx etc) "borderlines" were more appropriately described as Briquet because if one would administer a Perley Guze checklist Hysteria--the stability and usefulness of clinical criteria. A quantitative study based on a follow-up period of six to eight years in 39 patients. - PubMed - NCBI and ask about specific somatic symptoms you would get enough symptoms (including the 10th category- which is psychiatric) for a Briquet's diagnosis. The 10th category was unfortunately removed in DSM III version of somatization disorder leading to a lot of issues with diagnostic validity, but the DSM IV somatization criteria which include "pseudoneurologic" actually are valid and match up well with the original Briquet criteria. (Briquet incidentally described dissocial traits in a lot of his patients)

A paper I really like (that has plenty of issues with it nonetheless) is a Wash U paper from 1996 published in Archives (now Jama Psych) in which the authors administered a semi structured interview to patients in 3 separate clinics (2 in STL, 1 in italy) and looked at co-occurring diagnoses with Borderline personality disorder.Clinical study of the relation of borderline personality disorder to Briquet's syndrome (hysteria), somatization disorder, antisocial personality d... - PubMed - NCBI What was so telling about this paper is that borderline never occurred as a sole diagnosis; the most common diagnoses for which Borderlines met criteria were ASPD, substance use disorders, MDD, and Briquet's/Somatization (DSM III-R).

I think Carol North (IMO one of the clearest thinkers in all of psychiatry) really has the best conceptualization in that she describes -oform disorders... in which the patients experience very real symptoms, yet they do not line up with consistently pre-defined syndromes with either known pathology (eg, somatoform disorders, conversion disorders- what she calls "neuroform") or putative phenomenology (what she calls "psychoform"). Borderline might be a "psychoform" disorder because the patients may experience profound dysphoria or lability (yet are not in true episodes of MDD or mania), endorse hallucinations that are very real to them (though these are phenomenologically inconsistent with psychoses of schizophrenia or affective illnesses, hence the term "pseudopsychosis), etc. These might all be manifestations of an amorphous -oform entity, hence why they are often co occurring. Here is a great review by C. North on the subject http://www.mdpi.com/2076-328X/5/4/496/pdf

BPD is a perfect example of the "blind men examining an elephant" metaphor. Each individual theory is accurate, but doesn't give you a complete picture -- one blind man touching the leg calls the animal a hippo, the one touching the trunk calls it snake, the one touching the ears says bat, etc. Meanwhile, the elephant is having flashbacks triggered by creepy old men touching him (sorry, couldn't resist).

Part of the problem is that BPD didn't start as a disorder or even a syndrome, but a personality "organization." This just meant a system of defining self as related to others. So you could be at that level of organization but have antisocial, narcissistic, histrionic (etc) PDs. It needed to become a syndrome to get into the DSM-III, which allowed for further research and expansion of the concept.

At its core, BPD is a developmental disorder brought on by poor attachment with some biological diathesis. So it makes sense that it overlaps with ASPD (which is another condition strongly associated with insecure attachment). The difference is what we consider treatable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
BPD is a perfect example of the "blind men examining an elephant" metaphor. Each individual theory is accurate, but you doesn't give you a complete picture -- one blind man touching the leg calls the animal a hippo, the one touching the trunk calls it snake, the one touching the ears says bat, etc. Meanwhile, the elephant is having flashbacks triggered by creepy old men touching him (sorry, couldn't resist).

Part of the problem is that BPD didn't start as a disorder or even a syndrome, but a personality "organization." This just meant a system of defining self as related to others. So you could be at that level of organization but have antisocial, narcissistic, histrionic (etc) PDs. It needed to become a syndrome to get into the DSM-III, which allowed for further research and expansion of the concept.

At its core, BPD is a developmental disorder brought on by poor attachment with some biological diathesis. So it makes sense that it overlaps with ASPD (which is another condition strongly associated with insecure attachment). The difference is what we consider treatable.

Well put. We often diagnose cluster B traits or borderline personality disorder, and fail to recognize other personality disorders which may also be present, especially antisocial or narcissistic or histrionic personality disorders.

Well put. We often diagnose cluster B traits or borderline personality disorder, and fail to recognize other personality disorders which may also be present, especially antisocial or narcissistic or histrionic personality disorders.

I just saw Lois Choi-Kain lecture on BPD and there are often multiple other personality disorders traits in those with BPD which can also respond well to the therapy techniques. I appreciated that she repeatedly mentioned a focus on improvement in function, which can be absent despite remission, particularly encouraging them to get a job.

Obviously BPD and MDD can co-exist, and I do think it's important to have a proper diagnosis for each, because different treatments and approaches work for different things and treatment preferably needs to be tailored for the individual and the individuals symptoms at any one time. To me a good psychiatrist should be able to tease out the differences between the way MDD and BPD might manifest within the same person on not only a check list type symptomatic level, but an observable, emotional level as well (the sort of stuff that is not necessarily reliant on a DSM list of symptoms, but which more typically comes from experience of knowing what subtleties to look for outside of strict diagnostic criteria). I do think the biggest problems in treatment can happen when there is a presumption that once a person has a diagnosis of BPD that everything else has to somehow relate back to that one particular diagnosis, and things like MDD get missed, or mistreated, because everything is being viewed through this lens of, 'this patient has borderline personality disorder, ergo the symptoms of depression/anxiety/'pseudopsychosis'/etc they are experiencing can only be attribute to their borderline personality disorder'.

At this point I should probably point out, for those who aren't already aware, that I'm not a psychiatrist, nor am I medical or healthcare professional of any description, although I am currently studying to hopefully enter the mental healthcare field. I have also been in long term therapy for a little over six years now, and I do have a former diagnosis of BPD (I no longer meet full diagnostic criteria), as well as a current diagnosis of MDD (recurrent), which does also occasionally manifest with psychotic features.

You asked some questions on when does X feature of BPD become pathological. Obviously I can't speak for all patients who have received a diagnosis of BPD, but I can at least try to answer those questions based on my own experiences. In my particular case it was very, very obvious that I had BPD, blind Freddy himself could have seen it. I was so obviously borderline in my early 20s that I might as well have just walked around with a flashing neon sign above my head saying, "Hello, I have borderline personality disoder". I should also mention that I remain extremely grateful for the fact that I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder in my early 20s, and that I was able to access treatment specific to this diagnosis at the time.

...a history of unstable relationships. Who didn't date multiple people as a teenager (assuming they were dating at all)? If changing partners frequently as a kid is a criterion for BPD then 80% of the people I went to high school with meet it.

For me it wasn't so much the number of relationships I had, but the quality of those relationships. It wasn't like someone just going on a few dates, enjoying the time they're spending with someone, but ultimately deciding a relationship in the longer term isn't what you're both looking for, and then moving on to dating someone else. The 'relationships' I had at the time always had a sense of urgency and desperation about them, like the person I had literally just met and spent less than a few hours with (and usually also just slept with as well) was the most attractive, wonderful, and amazing person ever (besides the last person I had literally just met and slept with) and I was so very lucky to have this person in my life, and now we could look forward to a long and happy future together, and I *had* to make sure that happened. I feel in love at the drop of a hat, repeatedly and with the same level of intensity as all the other times I had also fallen 'in love'.

The very first actual long term, and relatively stable, relationship I ever had both of us made what might be considered heroic, or romantic gestures to try and keep that relationship going when we both knew deep down that it had come to an end (including deciding to purchase a block of land and build a house together). Considering we had been together for over six years, were essentially living in a defacto (or common law) marriage, and whilst we were no longer 'in love' we did still care very deeply for one another, then under these circumstances any 'heroic' or 'romantic' gestures made to keep the relationship going might well be considered at least somewhat understandable. Compare that to the desperate, and often manipulative, lengths I would go to keep hold of a 'relationship', any 'relationship', when I was in full flight borderline mode. At that time it wasn't at all uncommon for me to meet someone on a Friday night, have fallen madly in love with them within a few hours, spent the weekend with them, and then have them leave for work on Monday morning only to then be met by a phone call not even 5 minutes after they'd walked into their work place, and it's me on the other end of the line asking if they missed me and bursting into tears if they said they hadn't even had time to miss me yet - 'what do you mean you don't miss me, I miss you, have I done something wrong, don't you like anymore?' (and no that isn't hypebole to make a point either, I was quite literally this full on, and this clingy). If I didn't send the poor sod running for the hills right then and there, then woe be tide anyone who made it past the first week with me and bought up the subject of perhaps slowing things down, or wondering if things were becoming a bit too intense too soon - more often than not that would be met by my going into complete hysterics and threatening suicide. I spent many a night sitting in a darkened room, listening to tragic break up songs on repeat, slugging vodka straight from the bottle and slicing my arms up, because, 'OMG, they've left me, my life is over, you don't understand we were together for 2 whole weeks!!! *baaawwwlll*'.

And how does one delineate chronic feelings of emptiness from generally feeling bad about life and one's self? Also what is the difference in unstable self image and poor self-esteem?

I think everyone goes through points in their life where they experience feelings of emptiness, feel bad about their lives and/or themselves, and have a poor image of themselves, and low self esteem. With MDD these feelings can obviously become magnified to a degree. The difference for me, in terms of experiencing these types of thoughts and feelings from a borderline perspective, was, again, more in the intensity and degree in which I experienced them. I took feelings of chronic emptiness to a point where I felt like I didn't even really exist in my own right, an unstable self image manifested itself to the degree that I barely even registered that I was actually human; and as for poor self esteem, I didn't just not like myself, I quite literally hated myself with a passion. In my experience of having BPD there wasn't really ever any middle ground, everything was experienced in a very 'all or nothing' type mode of thinking and feeling. All of this is vastly different to the feelings of emptiness, poor self image, low self esteem, etc, that I've experienced during episodes of MDD since no longer meeting full diagnostic criteria for BPD.

Like I said these are just my own experiences, and I can't speak to the experiences of others, but I hope this has still perhaps given you some measure of insight into the ways in which different emotions/emotional states might be experienced by someone in terms of BPD vs MDD.

Of all the diagnoses to get worked up about being overdiagnosed, borderline seems like an odd one to get upset about. Its kind of nice to have something on the chart to serve as a slow down sign to prevent wildly medicating every symptom that arises.

Reactions: 3 users
Of all the diagnoses to get worked up about being overdiagnosed, borderline seems like an odd one to get upset about. Its kind of nice to have something on the chart to serve as a slow down sign to prevent wildly medicating every symptom that arises.

Also, critically, "maybe don't just admit because of suicidal ideation with a plan because that's most days of the week."